Strange noises in my head

Moved from beyond

There were a few times before, when I was drifting off before falling asleep at night and suddenly I hear a weird sound. A sound, concentrated somewhere. For example once it was ~3 metres away from my head, somewhere near the ceiling of my room. That kind of stuff.
Once I heard a voice saying ‘it will be more peaceful for you’ (but it wasn’t somewhere specifically, it was just in my head). Just, you know, so suddenly, out of nowhere you get a completely unrelated thought in your head (or was it actually a voice, can’t remember).

I’d say I had 3 or 4 of these ‘experiences’ altogether. And after a long time (half a year or so) I experienced this again. Just now. That’s why I’m making a thread about it now.

I never experienced an astral projection, even though I have tried (with no good reason). And tonight I just thought, oh I’ll give it a go… You know, even if it doesn’t happen, it’s just nice to lie for a bit and feel no limbs. :smile: I wasn’t too determined. I think I was drifting off with my subcounscious thoughts, when I suddenly heard a strange noise. It was like a bird’s squawk, but like a human scream as well (way scary). Really hard to describe… It totally freaked me out.

Am I going crazy? Does anyone else hear extraneous noises or voices when losing the ‘connection’ with one’s body?

P.S. When I used to try OBE before, I was either being paranoid, or things would really start making sounds, I mean like you know when electronic devices (plastic) cool down they make a cracking noise every now and then. Or a draught would appear and the door would close. All these things distracted me every time I tried consciously leaving my body. It’s like something’s trying to keep me out. But yeah, I may be paranoid and crazy… :sad: What do you think?

Don’t worry, eta.aquarii. These sounds are known as hypnagogic hallucinations, occurring during the transition from wakefulness to sleep. Most of us here have experienced this phenomena, myself included. It’s nothing to be alarmed about. As long as you bear in mind that none of the experiences are real and that you are perfectly safe in your bed and you’ll be fine. Try to ignore it and enter into the dream/OBE state.

Yeah, that happens to me a lot too. I wouldn’t worry too much about it, though I know it can be pretty frightening. I’ve gotten caught in it before; a case of hypnagogic hallucinations and sleep paralysis. I also have a friend who has awful night terrors like that. Very interesting, but in the end nothing that can hurt you. :smile:

Right, I feel much better knowing that. Thanks!

God I remember the first time that happened to me. I thought I was schizophrenic for months. Once you get past the fear it can be enjoyable, just hearing what your subconscious spits out. Sometimes it can even tell you something about how you’re feeling, at least it did for me. Were you very sleep deprived or stressed by any chance?

all the time, always, while drifting off

your thoughts, your lessons, yOur mind

it is at the border of where you end, and everyone else begins
and they help you assemble your puzzle pieces together in fragmentary riddles

that make perfect sense, yet are inexplicably strange
you learn to underStand them.

That was awesome, Eyelids. Did you write that?

I heard voices once AFTER I woke from and OBE.

And they called me by name. So I wouldn’t call it a hypnagogic hallucination.

And I’m either crazy or f**ked. :grin:

Gnosis: if it happens on waking up, it would be Hypnopompic Hallucination. It appears or stays with us when we are waking up. It is created by our subconscious.

From wikipedia

yes

why should we create and split in 2 by hypno-pompic / gogic ?

its the same state, just going in and out,

i suppose at some point they found the discrimination useful in the name of science

but at the same time, its this cutting of concepts that causes dissent in our waking lives where we mistake the words that describe reality, for reality

for instance i was talking to a girl in my imagination and i said “sometimes the lies are better than truth” and she said “but they’re lies!” and i thought “but look at the term better” it is assumed truth is better than lie, therefore it polarizes as “good/evil” yet, if lie is better than truth, that truth is not good

based upon semantics you see… not that this statement IS right, truth is always good, however the context shows the rigidity of a mind trying to operate in a binary fashion with good/evil value judgments and black and white thinking.

this is important but i’m too sleepy to underStand it right now.

for instance REALITY
AWAKE
ASLEEP
DREAMING

these are troubling words, if we didn’t use them then people would take their dreams as seriously as they took the waking world, for instance, i had a dream that seems so trivial, yet once i realized what it meant, the simple usage of just a few seconds of dream imagery is VERY IMPORTANT to my waking life
the most important thing ever perhaps

something as simple as the color of a bedsheet lol!