Einsteins puzzle

Einstein made this puzzle up, and said that 98% of the world would not be able to solve it. Give it a go.

There are 5 houses in 5 different colors in a row. In each house lives a person with a different nationality. The 5 owners drink a certain type of beverage, smoke a certain brand of cigar, and keep a certain pet. No owners have the same pet, smoke the same brand of cigar, or drink the same beverage. Other facts:

1. The Brit lives in the red house.
  2. The Swede keeps dogs as pets.
  3. The Dane drinks tea.
  4. The green house is on the immediate left of the white house.
  5. The green house’s owner drinks coffee.
  6. The owner who smokes Pall Mall rears birds.
  7. The owner of the yellow house smokes Dunhill.
  8. The owner living in the center house drinks milk.
  9. The Norwegian lives in the first house.
  10. The owner who smokes Blends lives next to the one who keeps cats.
  11. The owner who keeps the horse lives next to the one who smokes Dunhill.
  12. The owner who smokes Bluemasters drinks beer.
  13. The German smokes Prince.
  14. The Norwegian lives next to the blue house.
  15. The owner who smokes Blends lives next to the one who drinks water.

Who owns the fish?

Link 4 solution: do not click, lest bad things happen.

EDIT: If you figure it out or already know the answer, don’t post it here, you can just say you got it.

/me gets a piece of paper and grumbles.

Aaaaaah. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.
Took me a while but I got it…made a lot of mistakes though :grrr:

…although there was one presumption I kept making that was wrong. I’ll stay true to your wishes and not say a word :peek:

Edit: Forgot to thank you for the wonderful puzzle. Much better than homework :yes:

Done.

SPOILER - Click to view

It took me a while to remember which kind of scheme allowed me to represent a «next to» relation easily. After I figured how to rewrite the statements, it took me only five minutes to solve the puzzle. :smile:

I remembered something about this earlier today so I looked it up and figured it out. I don’t think it’s that 98% of people are incapable of doing it. I think it’s that 98% of people give up. Took me about 15 minutes.

Here’s another one: Take a 5x5 chess board, 5 queens, and three pawns, and arrange them all on the board so none of the pawns can be taken.

Yeah…I didn’t account for the fact that two things I thought were in different houses could be occupying the same house :tongue:

You may want to try the puzzle again.

Five houses, five people, one person per house.

I mean the cat and water :wink:

My mom and I spent a half-hour trying to figure out the chess one, and although my mom gave up eventually, I kept at it for 5 more minutes and I got it.

BTW, we should probably stop talking in spoiler messages, because the mods will be after us. :nuu:

Yeah…probably a good idea.

Well, I tried the chess one for a while. No luck so far :sad: , wish I could get my Dad to help…

Ah well…I think I may give up, I think I need to go to bed/ do homework THEN bed.

I’ll see if I can do it tomorrow

(Aye, I got it.)

Ninety-eight percent?

I do hope that is a hyperbole. I like Bruno’s method; with the “piece of paper and grumbling…” :razz:

And, I think Zukoca’s right in that people more likely just give up. The riddle is something that requires no more than patience and logic.

:hmmm: reminds me of a pussle “vem äger fisken?” I made long ago, couldnt solve it and dont want to have frustrations to do it again.

This one Ill try, I just need to get a board and Ill post the results here later :tongue:

His statement was maybe correct in his time. Today, much much more than 2% of the population is able to solve this riddle.

I like it ^^

Got it. I used to do puzzles like this as a kid. But they came in a book with a little grid thing so you could tick off the clues as you got them.

I got it…in 2.5 hours. Tired after working out :razz:

I tried to solve the chessproblem, but missed it should be 5x5 chessboard :sad: must try again. 8x8 was too easy, this is going to be fun :cool_laugh:

I solved it too! :happy:
Feels good! :smile:

Print it, cut out the pieces, put it together into a 3x3 square so the there are 6 cavities on the outside, 6 sticking out.

:thud:

Solved this kind of pussle several years ago, too easy :whistle:

But I like these pussles, the problem is that I dont know where I have it :cry: