Hi er’body. I kept all the logistical point stuff in spoilers, so there’s how all the technical whatnot will work. Please read the stuff outside of spoilers for any important information regarding this LC in particular. As always, any changes are in red.
LC I - TM and initiator: Ian1 - winner: -=JaSoN=-
LC II - TM: Magnus - winner: Q
LC III - TM: Q - winner: Bravsein
LC IV - TM: Bravsein - winner: WritersCube
LC V - TM: WritersCube - winner: dimsya
LC VI - TM: dimsya - winner: Queen SD
LC VII - TM: Ysim - winner: Mugiwara
LC VIII - TM: Mugiwara - winner: Ysim
LC IX - TM: Ysim - winner: Tundra
LC X -TM: Tundra - winner: ebilshrimp
LC 11 - TM: ebilshrimp - winner: Tundra
LC 12 - TM: HebrewB - winner: mattiasdavis
LC 13 - TM: Blue&White - winner: relV
LC 14 - TM: relV - winner: GHOSTIE11
LC 15 - TM: GHOSTIE11 - winner: unknownuser33
LC 16 - TM: Danielns13 - winner: rkr7
LC 17 - TM: Angelmouse - winner: pasQuale
LC 18 - TM: Magnus - winner: Amaryllis
LC 19 - TM: Amaryllis - winner: Dryalantha
LC 20 - TM: Dryalantha - winner: Shadow Dreamer and Amaryllis
LC 21 - TM: Shadow Dreamer - winner: Undecided (but probably Wyvern)
LC 22 - TM: Danilens13 - winner: tosxyChor
LC 23 - TM: tosxyChor - winner: Wyvern
LC 24 - TM: Wyvern - winner: tosxyChor
LC 25 - TM: Rhewin - winner: Solaris
LC 26 - TM: Solaris - winner: Rhewin
LC 27 - TM: tosxyChor - winner: Rhewin
LC 28 - TM: Rhewin - winner: Siiw
LC 29 – TM: Siiw – winner: Rhewin
LC 30 – TM: Puce – winner: Wega
LC 31 - TM: Mimmo0 - winner: Limitles
LC 32 - TM: Limitles - winner: Nicklebrick
LC 33 - TM: Nicklebrick - winner: elnaureth
LC 34 - TM: elnaureth - winner: DreamSailor
LC 35 - TM: Ysim - winner: Koharo
LC 36 - TM: Rhewin - winner: HeadInTheClouds
LC 37 - TM: HeadInTheClouds - winner: Scipio Xaos
LC 38 - TM: Scipio Xaos - winner: Thorn
LC 39 - TM: Thorn - winner: Koharo
LC 40 - TM: HeadInTheClouds - winner: Wyvern
LC 41 - TM: Wyvern - winner: Thorn
LC 42 - TM:Thorn - winner: Wyvern
You thought you were rid of me? Hah! Rhewin the Great and Powerful has returned to host yet another Lucidity Challenge (LC)***.
I’ll just start by saying that I believe the LC is one of the most helpful tools for any aspiring lucid dreamer. If this is your first LC, you can expect to work for the challenges, but the reward is a lot bigger than just points. This is a chance to stretch your legs and really see what you can do in a dream.
In the spirit of competition, I’ll be trying to balance the scoring as much as possible. As you can see below, I’ve kept the team system introduced in LC 42, but with a few twists. The teams will have equal points every week this time around, though due to the nature of some tasks, the difficulty may vary.
One relatively major change: this LC will consist of five (5) tasks rather than seven. A while back, tasks were only 3 days long. During this time, the LC only ran a few weeks. Extending the task time was a good idea, but the LC simply runs a long, long time. Participation tends to dry out near the end, so I hope to counter this with a shorter LC.
***OK, so I didn’t win LC 42, but apparently first and second place were rather busy. I still had third place. Bronze is still good, right? Guys?
How it works
[spoiler]In the LC, you earn points for various things. There are points for becoming lucid, for trying new induction techniques, creativity… the list goes on. By far, however, the most number of points will come from doing challenges. You can do the challenges in either an LD or an ND, but you’ll get extra bonuses for doing them in LDs.
The points are a way for your to measure your own progress. For some people, completing all of the tasks are the important part. For others, the competition from trying to outscore others is a huge motivation (myself included). Keep in mind, we use an honor system. We take your word for it whenever you claim points. If winning is important enough to you that you’d lie to get points, then you’ve missed the point of the LC.
And what does the winner get?
FAKE INTERNET POINTS!!!
Oh, and the honor of hosting LC 44. But who’d wanna host an LC, amiright?[/spoiler]
[spoiler]The scoring system includes a high amount of subjectivity and many ways of earning points. This means that each participant can challenge himself or herself appropriately by choosing which points to attempt to earn and by reflecting differently upon his or her own lucid dreams from the past when making length and personal goal decisions. Points will be awarded as follows; I’m being verbose for the sake of covering exceptions to rules, so it’s less complicated than it looks!* Lucid Dreams and Induction Methods[list][*]You get 5 points if you wonder if you are dreaming but do not become lucid.
- You get 20, 30, 40, or 50 points for a lucid dream you would consider short, medium-length, long, or your longest ever (respectively) based on lucid dreams you have had in the past. If you are entering the LC without any past lucid dreams, note that you will get 75 points for your first lucid dream and that your length scale from your second lucid dream onward will be Short ≤ 1 minute < Medium-length ≤ 5 minutes < Long < Longest.
- You get 10 points for losing and regaining lucidity either within a dream or via DEILDing, applicable only once per dream. Note that dreams connected by a period of no lucidity or by DEILD are considered one dream for the purpose of the LC to avoid giving ludicrous amounts of points to skilled DEILDers, and in this situation the overall length is the combined length of all lucid parts.
- You get 50 points for becoming lucid through an induction method for the first time ever as long as the dream is not your first lucid dream ever. Note that I reserve the right to declare slight variants on methods as “not new” if nothing substantial is introduced.
[/:m]Actions Within Dreams (see the Teams section for details on team-based points)* You get the listed amount of points for completing a generic subtask or a subtask designed for your team.
- You get half of the listed amount of points for completing a subtask designed for teams other than yours.
- You get 30 “Lucid” points, applicable once per task, for completing a subtask while lucid. Completing a second subtask for a task for which you already have this bonus will not award a second bonus.
- You get 20 “Early” or “Combo” points, applicable once per task, for completing a subtask while it is part of the most recent task or for completing a subtask alongside a subtask from another task, respectively. You can earn only one of these two 20 point bonuses per task.
- You get 40 points for completing your team’s Team Dream, applicable once per task. Extra points beyond 40 may be offered in some situations.
- You get 75 points for completing the LD4all Monthly Quest while lucid, applicable exactly once per Quest. Note that it does not always update monthly despite the name, but I have no control over this; please don’t direct complaints to me! If you complete the Quest active at the start of the LC before the start, you may “complete” it while lucid during the LC while it is still the most recent Quest to earn the 75 points.
- You get 100 points for completing a personal goal that you set in your sign-up post (see Sign-Ups for more information) while lucid, and 25 points for completing a second personal goal that you may pick after completing the first one while lucid. You may not change this goal before completing it once the LC starts, so choose wisely.
- You may get up to 10 points for being creative within your lucid dreams. These are subjective on my part and are thus worth little to keep the LC fair but to encourage doing more than going through the motions in your lucid dreams. I reserve the right to issue a tiebreaker even if there is not a tie if I feel that the winner won only on these subjective creativity points.
[/*:m][/list:u]When you claim points, please be sure to state the length of any lucid dreams you are claiming, which actions you are claiming for points, and which actions were done non-lucidly and lucidly. I highly suggest linking your dream journal or describing relevant parts, as this allows me to judge your point claims accurately, award creativity points if applicable, or find points that you may not have known you could claim.
You are free to calculate points to check your standing, but I am the official scorekeeper. If you feel I made an error in points, please PM me immediately and I will either explain or correct my scoring. We are here to have fun, so if you and I disagree on how many points you have earned, please do not make a scene in public. If you don’t like how I award points, then win the LC so you can make up your own rules! [/spoiler]
Teams [color=red](new!.. but not quite as new as last time!)[/color]
The idea of group work started as a behind-the-scenes activity during LC 37, was introduced into the LC proper in LC 39, was revised again for LCs 40, 41, and finally culminated in LC 42. The teams give you a chance to personalize your LC experience.
This is a new LC, so it’s time for three new teams! Read each description and pick the one that interests you!
- The Creation team is all about making something new. Does this mean you’ll have to constantly summon up new DCs or items? Not at all. You could create a work of art, or design a new building that defies logic. Maybe you’ll make a new form of life, or perhaps you’ll pave a new way to visit the astral plane. If you don’t see what you want, you make it.
- The Investigation team is about learning what makes the dream tick. Sure, you might travel to new areas and explore new dreamscapes, but there’s more. Why is that DC smacking a penguin on a piano? Where did they grow up? Do they know you’re dreaming? How that rock suddenly turn into a jellyfish? You want to know why things happen in your dreams.
The Transformation team is all about change. Don’t like the color of that DC’s shirt? Change it. Wish it was sunny instead of raining? Change it. Want to be a giant, fire-breathing octopus with lazer tentacles? Change yourself. Rather than have to create something new, you’d rather change the world (or yourself) to fit your imagination.
You can choose your team based on your skills, based on what you want to improve, based on what you’ve never tried, based on the stated difficulty level, or whatever metric you desire; you get to decide your LC experience! Remember that you will get full credit for your team’s subtasks and for generic subtasks but will only get half credit for subtasks belonging to other teams, and remember that you can’t change your team later, although I may make exceptions to this if participants start disappearing and teams become weighed down by inactive members.
Each team will have its own special sub-task that I create. You’re also allowed to create your own sub-task in addition to mine. The teams are responsible for choosing their sub-tasks within 48 hours after I post the main task. You can communicate however you wish, but if you miss the deadline your entire team will forfeit those points. Remember, you can always PM me if you don’t see me online.
After talking to some participants, I realized that the team advantage did help people with their incubations. I will go ahead and reinstate that. In this case, the reward will be an extra sub-task worth 40 pts. Here’s the catch: this must be a team-incubated sub-task. That means that you have to agree on it with your team members and do the task with a team member.
The advantage is based on which team has the highest participation rate for the current task. Participation is based on the number of sub-tasks completed by individual members divided by the number of members on the team. That includes team incubations!
People have won and lost over less that 40 points in the past, so make sure you motivate your team members to focus on the current task.[/color]
This LC will start after we have at least 10 participants.
When signing up, please quote the sign-up list from the most recent post containing it and add your entry to the bottom of the list. Your sign up should include your username your desired team, and your personal goal worth 100 points when completed. After the list, you should (but are not required to) say a bit about your motivations for lucid dreaming and your dream desires; if you want Team Dreams to fit your desires and motivations, then you need to be clear about what those are!
I do not require you to tell me the time your average LD takes. Just tell me if it is short, medium, or long.
Here are our current sign-ups:
Sign-up List [Name - Team - Personal Goal]
- Thorn - Transformation - Become my avatar
- HeadInTheClouds - Transformation - Finish Becoming the Rest of the Avengers
- Scipio Xaos - Transformation - Speak with Cardia Again
- Mew151 - Creation - Play DDR Dream Mix
- En’enra - Investigation - Explore a different planet and meet aliens
- Letaali - Investigation - Visit the Frozen Planet
- Siiw - Creation - Create art in a dream and copy it IRL
- Oleg - Investigation - Fly off into space
- drd - Transformation - Fly with wings
- Montebest - Transformation - Dragon Transformation (Humanoid)
- Koharo - Investigation - Visit my SC again
- Obfusc8 - Investigation - Learn/practice martial arts from a master
- James_UK2008 - Transformation - Lizardman Transformation
- Wyvern - Creation - Find a map of my dream world
- OmkAR - Investigation - Visit Vicky
- ZRVera - Transformation - Have my dual swords and find out who/what a certain DC really is
- HeHu - Transformation - Learn to fly
- Lucidis - Investigation - Journey into the Dark Median
- ian1 - Investigation - Fly
- StarryGwee - Creation - Create a cluster of stars
Scores are located here.
One last note: I will read anything you want me to read. Feel free to post dreams here or in your DJ. However, I will have a lot to read. I will only read your DJ posts if you link them here. Also, please, please, please, give me a quick version that just shows what you did for the LC. I won’t hold you to this, but your scores will be updated much faster if you could do this for me. I promise I will always go back to read the DJ post for creativity points.