Question About WILDing

Hi! :smile: First I’d just like to say I found this site a couple days ago and have been looking it over, I found it after reading the lucid dreaming page on wikpedia, it has a link there. I had my first and only lucid dream in january, and it only lasted a couple minutes. I got too excited I guess and woke up. I knew about lucid dreaming before that but didn’t make a huge effort to do it. But after that, I began a journal and now can remember at least 1 or 2 dreams a night.

I've been trying the MILD method for a while with no results, so last night I tried the WILD method. I imagined myself walking down stairs and counting each step. I was scared to at first because of the potential for SP and decided not to do it the first couple nights, but last night I finally tried. What happened was I woke up on my side, looked at the clock, it was 4:33 AM (4 1/2 hours after I fell asleep) and I found my dad walking into my room. he looked at me to see if I was asleep, then went through my drawer, looked in my mirror and then left and I fell asleep right after. I woke up and asked him about it and he said he wasn't in my room.

What I wanted to ask was: what happened? Was this a false awakening or SP without the scary stuff that most people experience, or what? Another thing I was wondering about: about a month or two ago I awoke on my back, my eyes were closed and I knew I was asleep but I was conscience. I never opened my eyes. I got a really happy feeling. Anyone know what this was? Both times I didn't think to move. I think on the same night (can't remember... but pretty sure) I also felt a hand grip my ankle (didn't move, just grabbed it and held on without moving). Was that SP? I woke up with my dog on my bed so I don't know if she had anything to do with it, but i don't think a dog could do that, I know it was a hand, it gripped all around my ankle and a dog couldn't do anything like that.

Anyway, thanks for reading, I want to try again tonight, I just hope I don't wake up on my side again and see something worse. But, I guess I should at least be happy that I saw anything at all, right? I'll post what happens tomorrow.

I believe you were already dreaming! I know when I WILD, I usually end up having very realistic LD’s which start out with me lying down in my bed.

Now that thing gripping your ankle sounds similar to a form of HH. Sounds like Old Hag, or maybe you were already in a dream.

SP is when you literally can’t move, but are awake. SP happens because the brain sends some type of signals to most parts of the body so dreamers don’t actually act out dreams. SP does not, however, affect fingertips, toes, lungs, heart, brain, and eyelids, I believe. Anything else is basically paralyzed, and I believe this does include your mouth and vocal cords. I tried screaming once during an SP, but I only thought I was screaming - I would have woken my entire family with how loud I thought I screamed.

Anyway, just know that SP happens EVERY night, so it is NOT harmful. As for the other seemingly scary things, it’s all in your head. Literally. Dreams are nothing more than your brain at work.

And remember, when you have SP, no one can hear you scream. Mwahahahaa!.. cough

Hi Daranoth! Welcome to LD4all! :wave:

As MatrixManNe0 said, it was no SP cause in SP you’re paralyzed. By the way, SP is a sleep trouble hence if you’re not subject to, it’s not likely to happen.

Then what you described was a FA. It seems that practising WILD tends to trigger DILD’s in your own case. :smile: Just keep it up and don’t forget to perform a RC next time you “wake up” and find something strange. Good luck! :happy:

Yup, it was just a dream. That’s why it’s a good idea to get in the habit of doing RCs as soon as you wake up, no matter what time it is. I used to not do this because I’d never experienced a false awakening, but now it happens all the time. One of these days, I’ll suddenly realize I’m still asleep.

The hand-around-the-ankle thing was either part of a dream that involved lying in bed with a hand around your ankle, or a sensation produced by the sleep-onset stage. If your dog was on the blankets, your brain could have felt that and transformed it into a different sensation. Half-asleep brains will do that. I know I’ve woken up (not FA) and thought I had a glass of water or cell phone in my hand; once I thought there was a big briefcase on my bed. These sorts of sensations aren’t abnormal.

I tried to scream while I experienced SP in the early morning a few days ago. I couldn’t. All that came out was a stifled, shuddering breath. Your mouth and vocal cords are pretty much useless during SP. You gotta ride out the wave and let it pass, because struggling does very little good. Although your panicked, half-asleep brain will have a lot of difficulty remembering that. :wink: