The mystery of disappearing dreamsigns

Hi Dreamers,

I’ve picked up LD’ing after quite a while. When analysing my dreams I noticed that I dreamt a lot about aquaria, big ones, small ones, ones with strange fish in it etc. At the moment I told myself to look out for the fishtanks I had an LD the next night. After that. No aquarium in my dreams.

This is not the first time this has happened to me. Somehow when I identify dreamsigns they tend to disappear from my dreams. And it puzzles me. Does anyone have suggestions why this occurs?

No idea, but I have noticed it too in my own experiences. I notice one of my dreamsigns is my local swimming pool, so I try to incubate a dream about the pool, only to find I dream about the park next to it! So I try to incubate a dream about the park instead and then start dreaming about the road it’s on instead! Very odd.

Yep well I noticed I’d been having a fair amount of dreams taking place in a house I used to live in.

That stopped after I spotted it!

Hi Snakebelt, Nivv,

Good to know I’m not the only one experiencing this. I’m interested to know if anyone has a theory about this.

Some dream theorists have said that the dreamworld can be comparable to a battle-ground between the conscious and the sub-conscious. Your conscious wants to be in full control. Your sub-conscious is really impartial to whether or not it is in control. So, your conscious mind, on a level that is deeply ingrained within itself, does not really want you to lucid dream, because that would require your conscious mind to give up its control to the sub-conscious. So, perhaps in order to remedy this situation, you must think of all the possible reasons that you would NOT want to lucid dream, and then go over them one by one and try to do what you can to make sure that these negative situations turn into positive situations.

Again, I’m not really sure, this is just a theory. Take it with a grain of salt.

This can be really frustrating after a while, because I almost always faced this in my dreams. I noticed a plenty of Dreamsigns (the most recurring is water in it’s any form - rain, oceans, puddles, rivers etc.), but they always disappear. Whe I don’t think about LDing, they tend to reappear. Interesting problem, good to know some of us have this :eek:

Now that you mention it, I did notice that the majority of my dreams took place at work, so I put forth some extra effort into reality-checking at work, and ever since have had very few work-related dreams (which, to be honest, doesn’t bother me at all-- I spend enough time at work without having to dream about it, thank you)

Interesting too see that other people have this too.

Does anyone have an idea how this might happen? It would be very strage, but also fascinating, when our subconcious is ‘conicousally’ working against us having an LD.

I don’t think so. My opinion is that some DS are stuff which is very important, something we should pay attention to, or a problem which needs to be solved. So via the DS our subconcious wants to tell us, for example, to pay attention to something. Then, when you have recognized your DS as such, you are paying attention to it and are probably thinking about it more deeply. So the SC reached its goal and decides that it’s not anymore necessary to show you the DS continously.