A few questions from a complete beginner...

Hallo everyone, Tani here~

I am very new to this whole concept of lucid dreaming, but since my dreams have always been very important to me, when my friend mentioned it I thought I’d have a go.

I’ve been trying for about a month now and have settled into a couple of techniques that work pretty well for me: FILD has worked all of the times I’ve tried it, and I managed a VILD last night.

My problem, then, is not getting a lucid dream from these techniques, but getting to the techniques themselves.
FILD, for example, only works when I’m very drowsy and about to fall asleep, but am still conscious enough to remember to do it. This is hard, as it is usually very difficult for me to fall asleep, no matter how tired I am. I lie awake and extremely alert for about an hour, and then suddenly am asleep - there’s rarely an interim period. Even if I set the intention to wake up in the middle of the night, I am instantly too awake to drop right back into sleep again.

I also have the usual beginner’s problems of accelerated heart rate, lack of vividness or clarity, and lack of control, but from what I’ve read, those will go away with practice. Really what I’m concerned about is getting to the point where I can FILD myself to sleep - which works when it happens, but is very hard for me to make happen.

I hope I’ve made myself clear without rambling too much~
luv Tani

whats FILD? did you mean WILD? if so, i get a quickened heart rate aswell, and i just figure if our focus is on what it should be (a mere splinter of conscienceness) than our heart rate mayaswell not be, like the rest of your body… OR it does slow with experience. i love/hate you for the fact that in a month you’ve done so well… my 3 took maybe 6 months- SHINANNIGANS!

*you’ll have too wait for a clearer answer, sorry.

I did mean FILD - and thanks! I’d just like to know if there’s an easier way to get myself to the state where I’m mostly asleep but still conscious of the fact that I’m awake - if you know what I’m trying to say?

Staying in the dream is also difficult (what few successful LDs I’ve had have either been very short - less than 10 seconds - or without much detail) but that seems like a much more common problem.

Through training, MILD should get you up. I’m not personally good at it, however it has worked for many others and many have recommended it to me.

Basically, tell yourself, repeating it, that you will wake up after so long, or after dreams, or whatever works for you. I really can’t describe it, so I would rather someone else did, or maybe look it up on the forum here.

An… issue I had with your post

No problems are usual, each “problem” is unique. Yes, with time and practice they will go away, you’re probably not used to the power or feeling. Just remember that it’s your imagination that controls the dream, not your physical restraints.

Personally, as great of a method that FILD is, it’s a very situation based technique. You have to be on the verge of falling asleep for it, if you wake up with an alarm, i can already guarantee to you that it won’t work, alarms give too much of a jolt… or at least I find.

Lastly: Staying in a dream is a very common situation which everyone has had I’m sure. A lot of that has to do with your dream recall and level of lucidity. The former is something to be practised whereas the latter can either be luck of also with practice.

One thing that might work for you si put one knee up in the air, with the foot flat on the bed. Try to be in a relaxed and comfortable position. And just fall asleep. When you lose consciousness, your leg should fall sideways, waking you back up. You should then be right at the border of falling asleep, so gently put your leg down and try to FILD.

Let me know if that works, and welcome to ld4all :grin: