an unusually long dry spell

…do you think this is normal?

i am, admittedly, not very good with my lucid dream techniques. i suck at them, i can’t stay awake for long enough, can’t wake up in the first place. but i’ve been improving, trying to find what’s best for me.

but, i can barely remember the last time i had a lucid dream. i have nightmares all the time, that is the only thing i can remember, the last time i had a LD that wasn’t false was around 1 year ago, a little longer i believe, and… i say i might have LDed about once in that time, however, there was a fog. it was strangling, i couldn’t do anything, which is why my LD goal is to clear the fog. (i say unusually long because i have never had a dry spell this long…)

does anyone have any tips? i just can’t seem to force it. nothing i do helps, and i’m only greeted with fog or nightmares, and sleep paralysis when i wake up.

this forum has always been a big help for me, though i haven’t been online in a while.

Hi Teilunar.

I think I could help in both problems you have mentioned, but I am unsure what specifically you are asking for in this specific thread.

For the primary question, I guess it’s normal.

For the techniques, it might be hard to identify the best for you because techniques don’t work all the times, but I suppose you are already finding progress.

As for the fog, sometimes it’s not possible to clear low vividness before the dream ends, but usually it is possible. You can clear the fog by being assertive when dealing with your dream scenario (i.e. demanding it to be clear) or you can grab something solid in there and wait for it to improve. You can use both techniques at once actually.

As for sleeping paralysis, many experienced LDers use it for their on advantage: it’s possible to chain back to a lucid dream by maintaining it.

If you post more details I guess we could be able to write something more specific for you. Good luck.

I think it can depend on what’s going on in your waking life. With you saying you are having a lot of non-lucid nightmares and lucid fog, do you think your waking life has a bearing on this? That would be my first thought. If your waking life is stressful and confused, then this will bleedthrough to your nightly adventures.

I’d be inclined (if it was me) to make changes in my waking life in order to come to a more settled and defined way of being. Hopefully this would have a knock-on effect of a peaceful routine and better quality of sleep - meaning more mindfulness to recognise lucid triggers.

Just some thoughts that came to me as I read your post. :smile:

ooh yes sorry, i was mainly asking about the techniques - i just got a little carried away. just general tips, i suppose?
thanks for the fog advice though, i’ll try it next time i manage to get a LD

that’s what i was thinking as well ^^ but they seem to be a common occurrence anyway, though less common as time goes on.

Time to break my cool 888 post count.

Teilunar, usually I recommend MILD, VILD and WBTB for people that haven’t had an LD (for a while or never).

Check if you can manage to stick to a constant sleep schedule with a WBTB (explained below).

Short Read:
VILD is mostly about imagining the dream setting you would get lucid. Usually by creating a context you would RC.

MILD is about repeating phrases that you want to stick to your mind, so you would probably recall it during the dream, possibly to RC or to be motivated enough.

WBTB is about waking up and getting back to back. Some people fall asleep faster when getting back to bed in the middle of sleep, which helps you to get into a dream much easier than initial bedtime.

Recommended Long Read:
Big VILD topic.
MILD Tutorial
Big WBTB Topic

Please tell us about your progress while trying the techniques, so we can recommend more specific ones for you.

Good luck.

Oh wow, I thought I was the only one who had this problem. I call it the grey haze. I’m not sure how much of it correlates to my waking life since I’ve had it since my teens, but only recently started documenting it. Assertiveness has definitely worked in the past, but sometimes it can be hard to pull off when you’re really afraid of what’s happening. Talking to dream characters, especially familiar ones like family members, has also helped take my mind off it or snapped me out of it. Hope things get better for you.

Arcana