Doing it by yourself - how rare?

Argh! I wanted to make this a poll, but I dont think I can… :bored:

So anyway…

I have been able to control my dreams since forever… it’s pretty uncommon, but it happens… and i love it.

in real life I have a huge issue with people, much less having relationships and friendships with them. I have too much anxiety and shyness and stuff >_< in my dreams I can actually HAVE a relationship and stuff! It rocks! :cloud9: I wish it would happen more! lol

Anyway, I didn’t know this had a specific name until recently…

So… is it really that rare to be able to do this? what % of people do you think can, naturally, without, like, even hearing about it?

:3!

~cait

I think that there are actually a number of people who where able to LD when they where younger but forgot it later (like myself , i re-learned it only one-and a half years ago).
If you want to hear a percentage from me …well … i would say 38% .
PS : welcome :wave:

I know what you mean :sad: . One of the reasons I want to get really good at lucid dreaming…

I’m not sure how many people can LD naturally, but I’ve seen some people here that can. I think they take their dreams for granted though… Some seem not to care much and others want them to stop! It’s great to read that you love yours! :happy:

Anyway, welcome! :wink:

:wave: Caiterz.

There is a poll in Quest For Lucidity; How long did it take you? that includes the option “I had lucid dreams before knowing what they were.”

Of the people who voted in that poll, 17% had lucid dreams before knowing what they were. 22% had not had one at the time of voting and 61% had a lucid dream after learning what it was. A total of 45 people had voted when I checked it.

I once became lucid when I was little and I got scared because I thought I would be stuck inside my dream forever… lol

I have a friend who apparently has been able to do it for years. When he was little he had nightmares. He says he just ;earned to control his dreams. He didn’t really say how he learned but that whenever his dreams started going in a direction he didn’t like he would tell it to do something else. He doesn’t do it all the time but he says he can do whatever he wants in his dreams when he feels likes it.

From my experience, most people seem to have experienced it at some point, but most dont think much of it. They certainly dont think it’s something you can train yourself to do.

Yes I’ve been able to have LDs since before I knew what they were. I remember the moment I looked up ‘have you ever been in a dream and knew you were dreaming’ online and found out these kinds of dreams had a name (I also learned about SP which I had experienced before and didn’t know what it was). I’ve always had LDs

I too have been dreaming lucidly since i can remember. I only found out what lucid dreaming was last year when i was randomly browsing Wikipedia.
From what i’ve heard, the percentage of people who are like us is reasonably small, something like 20-25%.

:eh:
That’s what i did to get stronger lucid powers. At first my powers over my dreams were only small, such as making myself unseen (not invisible, simply not noticed) but then when i was six i was having nightmares every night for three years. Literally. I was scared to go to sleep. Then one night i got tired of a recurring dream and said “No, i don’t want this to happen. I wish this never happened!” and suddenly a portal opened and i went through it.
Haven’t had the dream since, and that sparked the realization of the power of my lucidity :content:

Well, my answer depends on what you mean by “controlling dreams”, because I’m not clear on what you meant. If you mean controlling what you do in dreams, then yes, me too. That’s easy - I don’t think it could be that rare, though I don’t know the percentages. But if you mean controlling the type of dreams, for instance inducing lucid dreams at will, then it seems obvious after spending time on this forum that hardly anybody can have lucid dreams whenever they want them (or at least not without a lot of hard work and self-training).

But controlling the content of dreams is very different from controlling the type of dreams. One can easily happen without the other.

Well, when I was little I did have a lot of dreams where I could controll it, but only a few where I knew I was dreaming.

I mentioned LDs to my friend the other day. He acted as if they were no big deal; aparantly he has them all the time without even trying. :uptosomething: Jealous

I mentioned them to a friend once, and he also acted as if it were no big deal.

I was able to LD before hearing about it, but it wasn’t natural. I hypothesized that it might be possible, and so I implanted in my mind that the next time I found myself unclothed in a public situation, I would realize that I was dreaming. Worked in under a month.

I thought of the concept on my own before ever knowing what it was called, then just thinking about it made it happen one night. Shortly after i discovered this site and began reading :grin:

I’ve been lucid dreaming since I was age 4. Didn’t even hear of the term “lucid dreaming” until High School lolz :tongue: I used to call it “Controlled Dreams”.

I wasn’t able to do this until i first read about it. Believe me i would have known if it happened to me before that!

I’ve been naturally lucid dreaming my entire life. When I was younger, I had several a week, but around the time I turned 12 it slowed down to around 1 or 2 a month. I always thought it was something natural that happened to everyone every once in a while, but everyone I asked about it said they never had dreams like that.

I actually found out it was called “lucid dreaming” through a Dungeons & Dragons rulebook which listed it as a skill. I googled the phrase while bored one day and that’s how I found LD4All.

Your so lucky my friend! i wish i could do it. But at least am not one of those who don’t even know about it. Soon i will get one :grin: . “better late than never”