Dreamtime

So after explaining my idea of why time is longer in Lucid dreams (on chat, I don’t talk to myself alot :tongue:) I started to think a little bit of why that might be, so I looked through the forum and couldn’t find anything about why people think Dreams might be longer, just people talking about their longest dreams and how cool it would be to have super long dreams :razz:, (If their is one please lemme know). So I’m wondering if people have and Ideas as to why this might be.

I think that are dreams seem longer because In them we (me :tongue:) teleport without even noticing it. I’ve noticed this in almost all of my lucid dreams, I don’t walk somewhere I just appear their (as long as its in the current dream scene.). But I have a memory of walking their and spending the time doing it, when I know I never did this! If I subtract the time I spend with these false memories It usually shows me that I have been in the dream for about as long as I was dreaming. The only problem with this is that I doesn’t explain how people have longer dreams. I’ve heard of people having dreams for a couple hours, days or months, when we only (REM) sleep for 3-4 hours a night (Assuming you sleep 8 hours).

(www.Wikipedia.com/wiki/REM_sleep- Wiki Isn’t my favorite link but this sounds about right)

This shows me that your dreams can’t occur at the normal speed that we live are WL because it doesn’t take the same amount of time. So this tells me that we must be thinking faster then we do in WL. But when we dream (In REM) are brains are Alpha and Beta waves which, Is about the same speed as WL if not slower (brainfrontiers.com/wp-conten … ave-table1 .jpg- if you are not familiar with basic brain wave.) So this tells me that are dreams cant be happening faster then in RL and they don’t last longer or even close to as long as some people have appear to have them. I know time is a sketchy thing (Reading more about it atm :razz:) but if I have any changes or find something new, I’ll be sure to add them.

So I’m just wondering what other peoples Ideas are to why dreams last so long. Also feel free to poke holes in this (as long as you fill them with info that with good info :grin:. Thanks for reading :wink:

Edit: I just remembered (not the first time haha) in my last LD I talked to a DC and she promised me that I would be Lucid if I did something for her, and when I was with her I was pretty Lucid. I think this is kinda interesting as far as length of dreams go but also a little random :happy:

You should send WritersCube a PM. He has pretty long dreams. (Current Record: 3 Months)

time god controls all

but i think it could deal with how in a lucid dream you can change your precpetion of time in the dream, maybe your SC sets your time precpetion in these.

I don’t know how WritersCube see his own experience of time in dreams but I think that the theory about false memory is pretty good explanation… We dream and when we awake we have an impression that we had a dream that lasted for a week, but we don’t have a memory from a dream of 7 days and at least 12 hours per day, right?

But those “gaps” of time are filled with false memory, either from WL or some other dream or I don’t know from where. And in that way we get the impression of time in dreams…

I’m not sure about it, but I read an article in some psychology magazine that our perception of time highly depends on our brain chemistry. Probably that applies to our brain while sleeping too?

Anyway… I think this is way too complicated to conclude something with wikipedia. :grin:

Anyone got a spare neuroscientist laying around?

Actually, dream time is not really different from waking life time, as researched by S. LaBerge. It’s not the time flow itself which makes dreams last longer, but it may be the “false memories” that you’re talking about.

Again that research is not proof. (logically)
And false memory theory is not true too. (FMX)
here look at this topic - Click

EDIT: and a bit radical post Click

Uh, I don’t know the exact research LaBerge has done, is there any link to the papers?

But really, I wouldn’t see that topic you posted there as a proof. Everyone can post a possibly fake experience.

I mean, just because people claim they are in contact with aliens it doesn’t mean aliens exist. If you ask those people if the aliens could give a proof for Fermat’s Last Theorem, you’ll never get an answer.

I believe it behaves just the same way here, if it really is scientific research LaBerge has done.

EDIT: I read that article about time in a magazine a while ago… it’s all just a hypothesis.

Haha, we can go on like this till eternity…

So I will say that time is actually a personal experience and leave it at that :grin: , because every person is different and there is no way for 2 different person experience that experience exactly the same way…

For example, you can watch a movie that lasted for 2 hours and you love it and you have a feeling that the movie was short that it finished to fast but there can be your friend that didn’t like the movie and to him those 2 hours were eternity…

So, that my opinion…

Well, I found that article now. Actually it’s just a comment, but I was looking for this passage.

Now it’d be really interesting if it’s just false memories or if time perception won’t be normal anymore if NOT performing the counting task while lucid.

Jumping to conclusions because of physical and metaphysical hypotheses won’t help. I guess the answer is more likely to be within our head.

Well I’m just using wikipedia for REM lenght which it is pretty accurate on :happy:.

[color=red]GnarGnar checks his back pocket for a neurosciencetist, Sorry only got em on Wednesdays :tongue: [/color]

Thanks for all the links, their very helpful, Does anyone have any different ideas as to why it might happen(doesn’t have to make since (mine doesn’t), it would just be nice to have variety)? EDIT: I’m just thinking we should get some more ideas before analyzing them.

Woke up this morning with the idea that Dreams could all be memory’s that are SC has created to ‘entertain you’ during sleep. Only thing I can think of that would explain dreams lasting longer then WL.

Well i was talking from my experience. When im lucid, and i mean LUCID, time flows lineary, and experiences are like in WL. One by one.
Usus magister est optimus

Why man strives to prove limiting theories.

You should believe, whats useful to you - especially in this case, why not trust?

Haha I’ll have to remember that :razz:. I just wanna see other peoples ideas, since I’m not very happy with mine :happy: and like to think about things like this.