Ethics in lucid dreaming

i think what a person does in a lucid dream really defines what their true ethics are. in a lucid dream, you are free to do anything that normally would be unacceptable in society. it makes the distinction between what a person really believes they shouldn’t do because it’s wrong, and what they wouldn’t do in RL just because of the social consequences.
ex: if a person in a lucid dream has the choice to kill or not kill a dream character, and they are fully aware that whether they do or not will have no social consequences in RL, then whether they do or not shows if they really genuinly believe what the right or wrong thing to do is.
another ex: in lucid dreams i do things that i would never do in waking life because it’s socially unacceptable but that i don’t think are morally or ethically wrong.

Killing is not a good example, though I’m sure you can think of one. You see, when you are lucid, you know that you are in a dream. Depending on your beliefs about the nature of dreams, you may not consider a dream character a real person. So you do not think you are killing anyone at all. The only thing that doing this in a LUCID dream can ever say about a person is that, if you do it, you must consider it ok to pretend to kill people. It should be more telling of your personality if you are NOT lucid, because then you don’t know you are dreaming and think everything is real. But then again, one does not think normally in regular dreams.

I guess you could compare a lucid dream to a sandbox video game. Tbh, yes, I might like to try being able to point at someone and throwing them backwards a couple hundred feet, and maybe have some fun with big guns :razz: Sort of like Grand Theft Auto except better. If it got to a stage where everything was realistic, emotional, and someone was for example begging for their life, that’s a bit too far, and I’d go do something else, like flying. Or if it had been a bad day for me I might kill them anyways :happy:

In my opinion you can do whatever you want in your dreams. The dream is all /you/. I f you wish to kill a part of yourself, be my guest. If someone is sick enough to want and be a pedophile in his/her dreams, then go ahead. If this keeps the person from doing such things in the daily life, then do it especially in your dreams. It could be some kind of therapy.

Lucid dreams could even help you with certain things. To go back to certain non-ethical scenes in your dreams could help you overcome those bad memories.

I have to be honest with you -I actually like being a serial killer in my dreams. I love observing the police and to see how they work on my case. I love fleeing from them and escaping and escaping again and again. I was honored when Jack the Ripper gave me a compliment.
This may sound sick, but I must tell you too that in real life I already feel guilty when I accidentally kill an ant or musquito. I’m against violence and when I see blood, I usually faint. It’s odd how that can be so totally different in dreams. On the other hand, I do realise my anger and frustration in those dreams, so I can be calmer in the daytime. :spinning:

Dreams are merely your imagination, and therefore this would be akin to applying ethics to what you think about. Limiting what you can think about is unhealthy.

I wouldn’t necessarily put it that way. The way I see it, applying ethics in thought is fairly integral to applying ethics in action (which if one didn’t do this IRL, then they could quickly run into problems with the law). I can sort of see what you mean; I would certainly not say that you should refuse to think about unethical actions, but rather that you should be able to recognize these thoughts as being unethical and discard them. Why? The way I see it, thoughts of an action are the first step toward performing the action. If you think about hitting someone you dislike, that’s fine; brooding upon the idea of hitting them, however, does nothing but increase the temptation to hit them.

In this same line of thought, I believe that the occasional unethical fantasy in a lucid dream is probably ok. However, if you find yourself taking too much pleasure in it or you find yourself doing it quite often, I believe that there is a real cause for concern. How better to desensitize yourself to the ethics of an issue than to rehearse it over and over in a realistic, consequence-free environment?

That being said, I find that my actions in lucid dreams are often a reflection of how I would function in real life. I could take no pleasure in rape, torture, or any other extremely brutal/hateful crime… it’s just repulsive to me. I feel like there are much better ways to use my fleeting lucid dreams.

Um… no need to Rape. If you try they want to because they are a part of your dream one time I never even thought anything and someone tried to engage in sexual activities…

if i ever got a LD i would have some pretty bad ethics i guess. i wouldnt kill people randomly if i decided to attack people i would make them robots. :smile: i dont think i would have much else i dont think that i would want to do anything that had such bad ethics because i would be doing funner things

I don’t think of it the way of having “Dream Ethics” but I probably would never do anything in a dream that would be against my own set of ethics in real life. But I guess that might just be because I don’t really have any desire to kill anyone or do anything like that. Maybe I’m weird, but I just want to do fun things in my dreams. I’m too busy to destroy people. In LDs I would only do happy things, and killing/torturing/other bad things is not what I would consider happy.

Ethics are important to me in Lucid Dreams for a couple of reasons, I suppose.

Firstly there’s just me knowing how I think. It’s been brought up plenty of times already here, the whole desensitization issue and such. There are a good many things I’d literally never dream of doing, partly because I’m afraid of getting used to doing them or becoming even more apathetic in their regard than I already am. I already care very little about a good lot of things, my fear is caring even less.

Secondly I prefer keeping to my morals in dreams because acting like the people and places in my dreams are real is more interesting and engaging for me. Doing things outside of my ethical restraints would shatter the illusion of reality faster than an online search engine can return over forty million results for the search terms “faster than”. :tongue:

I’m sure this isn’t true for everyone, the bit about realism being more engaging I mean, but that’s what works for me. I don’t mean realism as in not being able to play with dream powers or only walking around earth and such, but if I don’t allow myself the sense of a living, breathing environment things get dull. Fast. I’m sure sometime I’ll have the desire to experiment and play around with some sort of sandbox environments or some such, but right now I get so much more enjoyment from simply exploring and investigating and interacting than I do with epic displays of otherworldly destructive power or mindless self-indulgence. I stick to my morals because to do otherwise would bore me rather than excite me!