Everyday Latin

aah, thanks for explaining the questions mark, now I get it, I wondered if you were unsure at first when it was so obvious :wink: my mistake.

Avatar meaning “incarnation” I think I recognise that as what I thought about when writing “in the flesh” since I couldn’t remember the word “incarnation” and isn’t “incarnation” where similar to “in the flesh” ?

Looking forward to your updates, TNO.

And waiting for Bruno to get good in Greek so he could start greek etymologi too :tongue:

/Magnus

Indeed:

Incarnation: from IN CARNEM (to flesh).

Some more:

Diary: from DIARIVM (daily).

Day: from DIES.

Sacrifice: from SACRVM + FACERE (to make holy, and thus offer to the gods).

Justice: from JVSTITIA (righteousness), which derives from JVSTVM (just, right).

Assault: from AD (to, towards, against) and SAVLTVS (jump).

Ignite: from IGNIS (fire).

I don’t know many Latin words yet, but liber means ‘free’ too, doesn’t it?
Liberty: from [size=109]LIBER[/size] (free).
:smile:

Remus Lupin: (Harry Potter :tongue:) from [size=109]LVPVS[/size] (wolf). Oh, and [size=109]REMVS[/size] of course, that kid was raised by a wolf, before he and his brother [size=109]ROMVLVS[/size] were found by [size=109]FAVSTVLVS[/size].

To care: from [size=109]CVRARE[/size].

To donate: from [size=109]DONARE[/size] (to give).

January: from the god [size=109]IANVS[/size], the god of the door and the change from old to new. (He had 2 faces :smile:).

Well, only the singular nominative is the same:

Free (sing.):

Nom: LIBER
Gen: LIBERI
Dat: LIBERO
Acc: LIBERVM
Abl: LIBERO

Book (sing.):

Nom: LIBER
Gen: LIBRI
Dat: LIBRO
Acc: LIBRVM
Abl: LIBRO

Also, Liberty actually comes from LIBERTAS (freedom). Which derives from “free”.

Oh, ok :smile:
Liberty: from LIBERTAS (freedom).
Tadaaaa.

Now that I think about it, it’s only logical that the English words don’t come from adjectives… :tongue:

LIBERTAS QUÆ SERA TAMEN

“(Our) Rightful Liberty, Even if Late.” This should have been the motto of Brazil (current one means “order and progress”). Funny thing how countries manage to drop great mottoes, like that one or E PLVRIBVS VNVM or NEMO ME IMPVNE LACESSIT for idiotic ones (like “order and progress”, “in god we trust” or “god save the queen”).