Falling sensation

I was reading everything on the home page and I fell upon the part about the falling sensation(no pun intended). At that time of reading about it, I remembered the numerous times it has happened to me and awoke me because of it. Does this count as a lucid dream, an out of body experience, or both?

This is the medical/scientific reasoning. There are also those who believe it’s because you are unawarely astral projecting/having an OBE and are then suddenly slammed back down into your physical body, giving you that ‘jerk’.

I have had this on so many occasions. It is always accompanied by me falling of a cliff, stairs or dying. :neutral:

Hi mattm025, welcome to the forum! :wave:

It’s neither a LD nor an OBE. Thanks to MissEvil, we have here a very interesting explanation. I’ve always supposed it was due to the sudden switching off of the sensory inputs which was misinterpreted by the brain. :happy:

Anyway, it was possible not to be awaken by this, you could perhaps enter a LD. Yet most possibly, if you were unaware of it and didn’t jerk, you just would fall asleep unconsciously.

Thanks MissEvil and Basilus for the reply.

In response to your reply Basilus, how could a LD occur when this happens? When the falling sensation happens, it’ll usually wake me up at that same exact moment and I don’t think I’m dreaming at the time of the sensation. That or I don’t remember the dream :smile: .

Edit: Oh yeah, in the above quote it says the body usually jerks which causes this falling sensation but I do remember one time when I was napping in the living room and my brother was right there beside me. I had that falling sensation and awoke. I then asked my brother if he had seen me jerk or make any movement and he said I hadn’t moved. Any explaination for this?

I think that what Basilus ment is that if you could train yourself to remain asleep but become lucid when this happens, then it could be a way to start an LD. Kind of like a DILD but with the jerk as the Dreamsign. I guess it would depend on how much your body and your mind could learn to react differently to the jerk.
As to your other question, I have had this often, as in the text when I am very busy and don’t get enough sleep. Most of the time I wake up, but the “jerk” can be so slight that no one else sees it. I don’t rember ever having this and not waking up so I guess it would not help me to becom lucid, but that is just me.
don

As mentioned above, Im pretty sure the jerks can be minor/hardly evident. There have been times where i feel as if i’ve totally literally jumped, but its only been a minor jerk.

I guess you feel it more as you are in such a relaxed state that anything sudden would feel extravagant.

A friend of mine has that everynight… she just twitches an falls asleep not long after… she said she just got used to it… but it might not be what your describing Mattm, because I did see it a couple of times…

Yes, but I think now it’s rather hard indeed. I’ve had sometimes sudden falling sensations when practising WILD. I’m not a WILD expert but I’ve the feeling that if I weren’t so much surprised I could have entered a LD. But you need to be still aware when it’s happen. If you have already lost consciousness, you’ll just have a jerk and wake up.

I believe this is called a myoclonic jerk. I have experianced it once or twice.