Help - I'm scared of SP??

That’s your way of looking at it. I want to experience SP as I know I’ll have an LD. I want to do a WILD. I have experienced SP some times before - yes it is very scary, but I still want to go further ! Each time when I’m in SP (which happens pretty rare at the moment) I try to go deeper as I did before. Then I’ll freak out and go back. Fear is the biggest obstacle. Why not try jump over it ? (just try - more than one time).

Could have been both - and both are a different door to LD’ing in my opinion. As, if you imagine things a lot and think about LD’ing a lot, you’ll dream about what you thought since dreams are mixed up memories (everything you know are memories).

Each “thing” which is out of the ordinary for you, and even each night, will be a step further to what you really want… or don’t ? :neutral:

A very good metaphor (or example) for SP :smile: !

Hmm… :meh: Good for them.

Look at all the effort that some people are putting into extolling sleep paralysis, instead of talking about lucid dreaming.

Just do the task and prove that you really have lucid dreams. Then I might believe that you’ve really experienced sleep paralysis.

But I know that none of you who claim you “like” sleep paralysis can do the task.

Well, excuse me for thinking that this topic was about SP (when the title clearly says that it is).

I really have lucid dreams, and everyone goes into sleep paralysis every night (unless of course you have a condition, but I won’t go into that) whether you’re lucid or not. Just because you’re lucid doesn’t prove you have SP or even the other way around. I don’t need to do your task to prove it to you. For all you know I could do it in an ND. I don’t see how that proves anything.

I can do the task, but if you’re going to be annoying about it and keep pushing something that’s not related to the current topic, I won’t do it.

No, everyone doesn’t enter sleep paralysis every night. That’s an absurd statement.

And yes, I’m sure you could do the task but you just refuse to do it.

yes they do, everyone does EVERY night. obviously YOU are the one who still needs to learn…

If you weren’t in SP every night during REM, you would be up walking around and acting out every dream you had. That’s why sleepwalking is called a disorder, not a normality. I also learned that fact in psychology.

Moreover, I refuse to do your task because I don’t see the relevance here and because you refuse to see others’ viewpoints and experiences as well.

Oh my heavens. Please go to Google and search for “sleep paralysis,” and read up about it before you post such nonsense.

First result: Wikipedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_para … cteristics
“Physiologically, sleep paralysis is closely related to REM atonia, the paralysis that occurs as a natural part of [REM (rapid eye movement)] sleep.”

Sleep paralysis is the beginning and end of when our bodies are paralyzed, but the term is often used interchangeably with REM atonia, which is basically the continuation of the same paralysis.

And then means that everyone enters sleep paralysis every night, right?

And that it’s fun, right?

Find some verification of those two preposterous claims ANYWHERE in all that voluminous material, please.

Actually, never does the article say that a person will experience panic, only that they may.
Also, one of the sources provides more info on the subject.
dreaminglucid.com/articlejc.html

SP doesn’t have to be a scary experience if you know what it is and how to deal with it.
And if you want more info, Jorge Conesa, an expert on the subject, has provided his email at the bottom of the article.

Uh-huh.

And where does it say there that it’s FUN, or that everyone experiences it EVERY NIGHT?

Honestly, arne saknussem, do you think this is helping the person who was afraid of SP?

I used to have SP often. It was terrifying. I hallucinated black shadows slowly floating towards my bed, and when you can’t move, that it extremely uncomfortable.

After I learned more about lucid dreaming, and specifically after a lucid dreaming “quest” done by my brother, I lost that fear. Sleep paralysis can be annoying. It isn’t fun, it is just time consuming when you would rather be waking up or having a LD.

It is possible to enter a lucid dream from sleep paralysis. I have done that, a few times, usually when I have been extremely sleepy. We are paralysed every night, that is something most sleep researchers agree upon. Since we are usually unconscious while sleeping, we don’t usually notice the paralysis. That is why it is experienced while waking up or falling asleep.

Knowing that it is a natural part of sleep helps take the fear away. it doesn’t last forever, it is a transient phase.

No one in this topic said it was “FUN”. You’re putting words in peoples’ mouths.
Some people like the ease in which they can then use SP as a way into a LD.

Also at the beginning of the article, 3rd paragraph:

It’s a little moot to argue if something is fun or not, considering fun is something very subjective. One persons fun is sitting with a good book, whilst another person’s is riding down the side of a mountain in a kayak. It’s a bit blinkered to insist that its impossible for somebody to find the feelings and sensations one may feel during sleep paralysis an interesting and engaging experience. I’ve spoken to several people who find experiences of the mind very interesting indeed. I’ve heard of others speak of a feeling they described as ‘the void’ as feeling lonely and miserable. I felt the same thing and for me it was immensely peaceful and relaxing. It’s all down to perspective.

As far as entering it every night goes, the theory is that we enter sleep paralysis to prevent us from acting out our dreams, it’s logical and would fit with other theories, do you have actual empirical evidence to suggest this theory is incorrect? (Hearsay is not evidence, just to be clear there. That means, I know X group of people and they don’t think they do, is worthless as far as it being evidence from an empirical point of view. I hope I don’t need to divulge into reasoning as to why.) Perhaps a link to a reputable study done on the topic would be nice.

I don’t want to drop into a “No, YOU prove YOUR claims” debate here. I’m making no claims about what happens when you sleep, simply asking you to make the next logical step and back your attack on the current working theory with some evidence, since that seems to be how science progresses. Otherwise you are merely saying, “You might be wrong!” in which case, the reply is, “yes, we might, but the theory fits and works at the moment, please give me a reason to change it and/or pose another useful theory.”

[center]--------------[/center]
Back to the original poster;

1. Perhaps, walking into a dark room can be scary if you let yourself be afraid of the monsters that might be lurking there. I’m not a child anymore, and if I choose to I can still be afraid of the dark. I just learned to control that fear.
  2. Sort of a crossover between the two.
  3. Absolutely no evidence of this whatsoever.

I tried WILD quite a lot, and there was an instance where I felt myself going into a bad SP experience. My own sense of fear began to build and blow out of proportion. I cut the fear off, which sadly broke my concentration too. From those who said they had turned SP experiences positive, the main thing seemed to be, to accept that your mind is working with and for you. It’s not out to get you. As far as I can tell, It’s the belief that it is, that works to create the experience of negativity. Coupled perhaps with the natural inherent fear of being unable to move, which for an animal could be dangerous.

My perspective is, that if anything is ‘harmful’ about SP, it’s that people worry and fear it. This exact pattern is what can cause people to become terrified of chickens or apples. Fear of fear is really going to amplify to a fever pitch and paralyse you. (please forgive the pun. :razz:)