I was almost there ! Tips ?

Hello everyone,

Tonight was a particularly interesting night for me, for I’m usually not a dreamer, even less a lucid dreamer (on very rare instances I remember my dreams).

But still, I’ve always kept an eye on this website because I found lucid dreaming fascinating. Never but until recently I started doing RC (particularly: what was I doing/where I’m coming from?) since I’ve read a very interesting post here from a member interviewing “power” dreamers (I recall it was a woman, almost shocked knowing that everybody didn’t lucid dream).

I’ve also read about these WILD and MILD techniques, but never did I really put much effort into it because I couldn’t even get to have dreams every night – or as you may point out, remember them. And I’m not fan of any substance that would help to induce sleep/(lucid)dreams.

Tonight though, for some reason, I became aware in my dream that something was wrong, and when I realized it was my chance to lucid dream, I immediately started to feel I was waking up. I wasn’t even excitement, I really feel it was a reflex from my body. I remembered the “spinning” technique, but as soon as I was starting to try to spin, the dream would “black out”. I didn’t even have the time to try to touch any of the objects that were really close to me.

So I got up and drank a little, then I went back to bed. Still dizzy, it didn’t take long to plunge back to another, quite weird, dream. And in fact it was so weird that it didn’t take long to realize something was wrong. And, to my utter sadness, it ended exactly like the first dream.

Now 5h00 AM, I wasn’t able to fall back to sleep, but something quite interesting happened: while I was “half”-awake, simply relaxing, I was balancing between sleep and wakening, my mind would spawn some dreams that would fade away when I start thinking too much about them.

I guess I’ll continue with that kind of RC, but I’m kind of sad it didn’t work out. As I said, I didn’t really woke up from excitement, but rather from a kind of reflex I cannot explain, like the mind is programmed to wake when you become aware of your dream.

Would you guys have any tips for this kind of missed lucid dream?
Thanks!

My advice is this: Before you try to lucid dreams, work on dream recollection. A dream journals works great for that. Maybe once your subconscious is more familiar with remembering dreams, they won’t be so foreign when you are aware. Best of luck to you :content:

Thanks! I actually did start a dream journal, but I had so few entries, and they were so sparse, that I thought it would be useless. Do you think that keeping a journal can help actually remember dreams more? I thought it was all about identifying dream context rather than improving frequency of dreams?

For me it did, strange though it sounds. My subconscious must have wanted something to write down, so it remembered!

Your DJ doesn’t improve the frequency of dreams. Like you already said, you have to remember your dreams. Everybody dreams several times every night, you just have to be motivated to remember your dreams, and keeping a DJ is the best tool for this. Don’t worry too much about short entries, DR is a matter of practice. This is an excellent guide about DR and keeping a DJ.

You’re on the right path, you even had two LD’s this night, no matter how short they were. :content: Improve your DR by keeping a DJ, continue with the RC’s and then try out some techniques when you feel like you’re ready for them.

It could indeed be a reflex of your body that you woke up from your LD’s, maybe you were close to waking up anyway.

The last thing you described where you weren’t able to fall asleep again was the state between asleep and awake. When this happens again naturally, just remind yourself slighty that you’re dreaming (like a mantra), maybe you can even pick one of those dream images and let it evolve into a real dream (hopefully lucid :wink: ).

Keep it up!

Thanks a lot for the help (and link)! I’m really amazed by the amount of great content on this site.

Oh man, I almost had it!