Just a random thought... (mantras)

I was just reading up on an old post about the subconscious, and it refreshed my knowledge of autosuggestion and the rules for getting those things you want into your mind in an effective manner… And the thought just struck me - I need to find the perfect, succinct phrase to repeat before sleep. I think I have quite a good one!

“During the next 8 hours of my life, I’m gonna do a LOT of reality checks…” (you know… in a very trivial “matter-of-fact” way)

Seems very simple and direct… there are no words in there that make me feel in any way pressured… and above all - which, I’ve not seen mentioned here before but I think may be an interesting factor… it’s using everyday language that I WOULD use every day. For example… if you’re stating that “I’ll accomplish lucid dreaming” out of a book when, in any given RL situation, you would say “I’ll get to have lucid dreams”, then maybe you should change the book statement to be congruant with your PERSONAL way of talking to yourself - maybe this decreases the chances of the SC denying such a statement because it doesn’t sound like what it expects as a command from YOU, in your own unique style etc etc…

Again, to be clear, if you’re a cockney londoner and you see something disgusting, you’re not about to say “oh golly gosh, how disturbing. I will not remain here” no no no - you’re more likely to come out with “bloody hell that’s RANK man! Get it away from me!” (for example lol)

Anyway, I take it you see my point - make sure your commands are your own - don’t use different language on account of a book that says “this is what to say”.

I’ll be trying my phrase tonight - after a little meditating on it too… actually, after all that, I realise that “during” isn’t the best word for me. “In”. Yes. “In” is more me. “In the next 8 hours I’m gonna do a LOT of reality checks…” Suuuuuuure if you want to dissect the words it’s not the most ACCURATE statement… but it’s the one that I’d use NATURALLY. It’s the meaning BEHIND the words that is important - let us not forget, words are only symbols. I think that’s the kicker…

I’ll let you know how it goes should I achieve anything of note.

Title edited for clarification :mattias:

I agree with you. I’ve always try to do mantra or autosuggestion in my language or better say slang because the thing is in the way that suits you the best. Whether those are words or feelings of something else.

And there is nothing wrong in adjusting tech to yourself, I mean to many people goes by to many strict rules in to many strict guides…

Thanks for the input db - glad you agree :smile: small update: Meditated with earplugs in the dark before bed a good 20 mins, just concentrating on breath for at least 10, then starting to incorporate my statement into my clear mind, as well as following that up with visualisation of the LD i’ve been incubating in my mind lately. Then I went to bed and read a tiny bit more, then repeated my phrase repeatedly as I drifted off, with a timer in my mind counting down from 8hrs.

It’s been 4 hours of sleep, and although I didn’t remember it when I just woke, I read something on this forum just a minute ago that made me realise “wait, I DID do an RC” and I DID remember vaguely recognising I was dreaming, but unfortunately was rather low level lucid and I remember just seeing someone I thought looked like someone I used to know, so went to see them, and then have no recollection of what happened after… maybe it’s been too few hours, or still have that bit of wine in my system… possibly a bit of both. Anyway, early signs are good (not had an LD in quite a while save a recent-ish spontaneous one that resparked my desire to become competant in dreaming). I’ve come here to attempt WBTB/WILD, and I’ve been up about 15 mins. Almost time to go back to bed methinks! yawwwwwwwwwwwwwn

Nice progress! I like meditation. I think if you find a time for meditation every day things should be easier! I need to do it myself!

I would also suggest to try SILD tech, I had a success after 3 days. It’s easy and it doesn’t take a lot of time!

Yeah I see somewhere else yesterday referencing that tech. I THINK I already gave it a look a couple months back, but I think I should revisit the thread and give it a go - cheers again. Oh… and as for the rest of last night - no recall… annoying thing is, for over a year now I’ve woken up mainly when I really need to pee! By the time I get back to bed, seems there’s nothing left :cry: I should try to drink more water (apparently) during the day and if that’s not gonna work, have to get a new doc… It’s QUITE disruptive to recall…