Language learning! – Part II

Yes, there is. One of the ways it’s pronounced is ‘i’, and it’s related to agriculture somehow, I think. I’ll go and look it up for you in my kanji dictionary and see what I can find.

Edit: Okay, it’s called “sei” and means “well”, as in a water-and-bucket well. Most commonly it’s pronounced “i”, though, and you find it in a lot of surnames. (In fact, almost exclusively in surnames, according to the dictionary.)

Hmmm it may be that one… but is there a verb with it? I remember seeing two words. The second one, which had that kanji, was a verb (I remember it was in -te form too…)

No verb that I can find. There may be one, because I don’t have the world’s most comprehensive kanji dictionary, but if there is one, it must be very obscure. I am pretty sure I’ve never seen that kanji as a verb, either, though I have seen it in a lot of names.

I read, speak and write both English and Greek.

The only language I know perfectly is English. i know a little spanish, a little german, and a tad bit of japanense. I wnat to learn swedish.

Hi

Can anyone tell me how to say the future perfect tense e.g. I shall have done, and the conditional perfect e.g. I should have done in German.

Thanks

Hey there. :smile:

Okay, let me see… hm…

I shall have done
Ich soll getan haben. or: Ich soll gemacht haben

I should have done
Ich sollte getan haben. Ich sollte gemacht haben

In case you have a sentence like this one
I will have done
This would be:
Ich werde getan haben
or
Ich werde gemacht haben

So… if you have any more questions, feel free to ask. German is my native language. All I can hope is that I´m not messing around too much with my English lol :content:

Two forms for each? :eh: Interesting. What’s the difference between either?

oh, that´s just because of the verb “to do” can mean either “tun” or “machen” in German with “machen” having a slight connotation towards crafting things. so you´d also use machen often as an equivalent to “make” (even the words look similar), but there´s somewhat of an overlap, so I gave both versions as I didn´t know which one Dreamer was looking for.

Thanks very much.

Very helpful.

Oh, so in German “to make” works like an auxiliary verb?

No, I don´t think so. In sentences which make use of forms of this verb, it is a full verb… at least I can´t come up with a counter example.

So a sentence like:
I´m baking a cake
could be formed either as:
Ich backe einen Kuchen (with “backen” meaning “to bake” so that´s the literal translation)
but you could also say:
Ich mache einen Kuchen
("I make a cake) and still it´s perfectly German.

I have a question for all languages?

I want to know words in your language that you think almost no other language have.

I can give you a few swedish examples.

Lagom - which means not too much and not too little.

mormor/farmor - both is translated grandmother but the first means mother’s mother and the second father’s mother.

and so of course
morfar/farfar - I think you can figure that one out yourself(both are translated grandfather)

morbror/farbror
- uncle, first one means mothers brother and second means father’s brother.

moster/faster - aunt, first means mothers sister, second means fathers sister.

dygn - ett dygn is 24 hour long, it consists of a day and night, and I think that word doesn’t exist in other languages.

And if these words exist in other languages I want to know. :smile:

Well, Magnus:

Lagom - is in many norwegian dialects

Mormor/farmor & morfar/farfar- all 4 of this are in norwegian

Dygn - Is in norwegian too, but is writen: døgn.

I suspected that, since both languages have the same origin, that’s why I wrote

Thanks for telling me Painocus. :content:

Then they probably exist in danish and Icelandic too.

In Portuguese: bocado.

In Old Tupi, there are words for those, plus words for: older brother of a man, older brother of a woman, younger brother of a man, younger brother of a woman, older sister of a man etc., son of man, son of woman, daughter of man, daughter of woman, mother of the husband, father of the husband, mother of the wife, father of the wife and many more.

The word for “day” in Portuguese is used in that sense only, as opposed to manhã, “morning.”

Everyday words of Portuguese that are often hard (if not impossible) to translate:

Saudade: a sentiment of grief resulting from the lack of something or someone or somewhere, opposed to both “nostalgia” and “missing” in its very conception. While nostalgia is a sentiment aimed at the past (“we did so many things together”) and missing is aimed at the conditional present (“we would be doing so many things together”), saudades are conceived in the conditional future (“we could have done so many things together”). It’s a very hard feeling to explain. :tongue:

The derivatives of saudade: saudosismo (yet another sentiment of missing that is similar to saudade, but somewhat different, a tendency to value the rich promising future that one had in the past—often as opposed to a not as good as expected present), saudosista (a person who’s often in saudosist–ic state), saudoso (a person momentarily saudosist–ic).

The derivatives of siso: one of the words more commonly conceived as impossible to translate is the Finnish concept of “sisu” (often mistranslated to English as “guts”). Well, in Portuguese, not only do we have the word “siso” for that, but we have derivatives: sisudo (he who has siso), sisudez (the apparent component of the quality of having siso; a siso–ful character).

Piti: When someone “está dando piti” (is giving piti), they’re making a scandal. Figure out yourself what piti is. It is not scandal. It’s something about the person, at that moment, their personality and mood… I don’t know how to explain. :tongue:

And my current favourite: trashíssimo. The superlative form of the loan English word trash. It would be kind of saying “very very very trash,” “most trash,” or even “the trash–est,” only none of these forms make sense in English itself.

There are a couple more, but I can’t think of any.

Since Old Tupi is not an European language, it conceives the whole world differently, so I’m not going to get started posting untranslatable things from Tupi here, because I won’t ever stop. :tongue: Just the fact that nouns in Tupi can be inflected for time—that is, boy in the nominative case is in the present: “a boy,” but it can also be in the past–nominative case, “he who was once a boy” (adolescent) or in the future–nominative case, “he who will one day be a boy” (baby)—already makes virtually any noun of Tupi untranslatable. :tongue:

Still love this topic :smile:
Especially those unique words!

In german I can´t think of a good one at the moment. Though I had a hard time explaining what is the difference between “berühren” und “anfassen”.
Both means “to touch”, though “anfassen” is always an action and intended, while “berühren” might be an action and might be intended, but can also be a state or an accidental action. Also, “anfassen” is usually only used if one of the two things is a living being, usually a human hand. “Berühren” can be between inanimate objects or any part of the body. At least that is how I would describe it, more thoughts on this? :smile:

tapir

In Portuguese, berühren = “esbarrar,” anfassen = “tocar” (which also is most of the time used when at least one of the two things is animated) and there’s also “encostar,” which is like anfassen, but is just as commonly used with animated and inanimate stuff. :smile:

Hehe, I saw that it was in norway too right when i read magnus’ post :grin:

I can’t come to think of any words special for norwegian :confused:

Only word i can come to think of is my favorite word in lotr, mathm.

A mathm is an item you dont wanna trow away, still you have no appearant use for it.

Thats just so lovely, Ive actually used it irl twice or something hehe

In Portuguese: bugiganga (which also means “a machine that doesn’t work” or that, by extension, no one knows how to operate), sucata (which has a meaning of “something used but that you keep because it could be used again for something else”), bagulho (which is also a slang for drugs), trambolho (which usually denotes something big) and perhaps a couple of other words. goes check dictionary

Abana-moscas, argueiro, babugem, bagana, bagatela, besteira, bobagem, bolacha-quebrada, borra, bufarinha, bugiaria, burundanga, cascavel, chinesice, chorumela, frioleira, futilidade, droga, gueta, inânia, insignificância, maravalha, mexinflório, migalhice, minigância, minúcia, mixaria, nada, ninharia, niquice, nonada, nuga, nugacidade, nulidade, palha, perfumaria, porcaria, quetilquê, quinquilharia, quiqueriqui, quiquiriqui, quixiligangue, quotiliquê, ridicularia, titica, trampa, tuta-e-meia.

And a couple of vulgar words too…