LD4all Book Club: [Ishmael by Daniel Quinn]

A little bump here. I found the book enjoyable, and I had to agree with some of the points that he made in the novel. I can’t confirm any facts, but I did find myself liking his interpretation of certain Bible stories, especially the one about the tree of knowledge of good and evil. Whether or not the story is factual, I think that it provides a good idea to work with.

As one point, I do believe that the majority of us people have accepted the false belief the jellyfish had in their story. In that aspect, and in the aspect of man being nature’s conqueror (though there are plenty of people trying to change this), I find the book to be dead on. I also find myself identifying with the narrator and his reluctance to actually go out and do anything about it because of the size of the task.

Does anyone else have any points to add?

Just found this group and am interested in participating!
I read Ishmael a few years ago so I can’t really refer to specifics. My favorite part of the book was the reinterpretation of religious stories/myths. But, I’ve always liked myths and stories and enjoy reinterpretations of the well known ones. I have some prior knowledge which made it easy for me to pick up on all the religious references.

I remember the tone of the whole book changing when [spoiler] Ishmael disappears and the narrator has to go looking for him again.[/spoiler] I stopped liking the book quite as much after that. Kind of a depressing book. But interesting.

Hello, can I maybe join the book club? I think it shall do me some good, hm? :smile: Inform me, ok? Thanks in advance.

I think we need a new book. Any ideas? I probably won’t be able to read it, but can probably at least steer the book club where it needs to go. :razz:

I probably have to join after December is over.
I don’t have a idea for a book, I like to hear suggestions :razz:

I think I’ll also join the next round :content:

You have had Dracula, so I suggest
“Frankenstein” by Mary W. Shelley.

I don’t know if anyone is still on this page or not, but I would like to join. I’ve been reading the SPa Girls. It’s a Christian fiction book. And I’ve been reading How to hear from God by Joyce Meyers. Well that’s all I have to mention and no I’m not a religiouse person. Next I’ll be reading Monster High. Which is not a Christian book. Anyways, that’s all the books that Iam currently reading. See ya later.

I’m in for Frankenstein if the suggestion stands :smile: