Meditation

Agent11421

Yes I too believe in using a tape when you first start. I have posted on a few threads where I suggested that people use a recorder and tape their own routines or buy a tape that teaches self hypnosis. Though I have looked at some of the tapes being sold on the market today and thy are really just glorified relaxation techniques. They are good for well, relaxation but, not good for teaching self hypnosis.

I suggest buying a good book on hypnosis and make your own tapes. From there it is easier to learn how to go into hypnosis buy yourself.

I can’t do it with one word either. Though I hear it is posable.

Happy Dreaming

I have been trying to meditate a few times every week for the last few weeks. In the beginning it’s quite hard to not thing anything, but after sitting maybe 20 minutes it gets easyer. But I have found that after a while I start getting random thoughts that feel different from my normal thoughts. It’s like it’s not me that’s doing the thinking, it’s more like I’m observing someone elses random thoughts.

What would these random thoughts be? And should I try to supress them or should I embrace them? They can be quite interesting to observe and they are usually memories of things that happened a long time ago. Things that I haven’t thought about in a long time.

JaRoD
You did not say what type of meditation you are doing but, from what you wrote I assume that you are doing the mindfulness meditation. Where you focus on your breath. In which case you should just let those thoughts go and bring yourself back to your breathing.

Yes I do focus on my breathing.
So I should just ignore those thoughts then and continue focusing on my breathing.
Ok thanks milod :content:

Have people ever found themselves in sleep paralysis during meditation or visualisation? Because you’re keeping the mind awake while relaxing the body. I was just thinking how this could happen to anyone in a meditation group

No I haven’t reached SP while meditating, but I think it’s possible if you sit long enough. I have had HI and a slight thingling in my body though.

what i did last night was when I knew I was getting tired I said “this is alpha” over and over and over again

and i’d of course waver in and out of consciousness a lot.

so what I’m hoping is that when I lie down I can say “go to alpha” as a mantra for about 1-2 minutes and i’ll be back there… and then when I get there, each time I get there during the night, I will say “this is alpha” until I forget what I’m saying to help reinforce that…

do you think it would work? I’m not sure if it’s alpha or theta or what though, because after a while one of the times when I come to, it sort of “clicks” and I feel very different, I can still lose conscoiusness pretty easy, but overall, I feel more peaceful, as if maybe I had finished phase one of sleep due to my meddling with light sleep for so long? I don’t know?

After that I think I would need to go really deep into theta, which I think would be hallucinating fully while awake, but I can’t seem to do that.

Time also moves really slowly in what I’d consider to be alpha, sometimes before I get up for school I’ll just be in a light alpha like state for a long time, and when I come back I’m like “Man it must be time to get up” and only 5 minues had gone by…

it’s both good and bad, bad when you want to actually sleep, good when you actually don’t want to get up and want to be in an altered state of mind for a “long time”

Yes, you can get into SP with meditation. It takes some practice but, you can do it. You can even get into SP with just a progressive relaxation exercise. You can also use self hypnosis.