Might need a different technique (if there is one!)

I have had a few LD’s in my life. Although, none of them has ever once been from a RC. I do RC’s throughout the day to try to increase my chances, but never have I ever even thought of doing one in a dream before. Is there another technique I could focus on that will allow me to achieve Lucidity frequently other than RC’s ? I will still do them obviously in case I do end up using one in some dream down the road…but as of right now I feel like it is not doing me justice. Every time I have realized I’ve either just realized I was for some odd reasons or another, or have seen myself in 3rd person. Hmmmm. any help would be GREATLYYYYYYYYYYY appreciated :smile: thanks guys!

There are loads of different techniques to choose from and reality checks are just for getting your first 2-3 lucid dreams, but keep doing them anyway because there useful. One of the best methods (I think) is ADA which means all day awareness look it up it works amazing. But if you want a full list of techniques type in google lucid dreaming techniques and see what comes up :smile:

WILD and SILD don’t requre doing a RC. Probably there are others but those are the only things that work for me. Never caught myself doing a RC in-dream.

Yes, IMO it’s best to think of reality checks as a supplemental tool that aids you in lucid dreaming regardless of which technique (MILD / WBTB / DILD / SSILD / WILD) that you employ. You can think of reality checks as that last thing that makes you completely certain that you are dreaming. That vague sense of “Is this a dream?” can quickly be washed away in the tides of sleep. Reality checks are for converting that vague, sleepy sense of “Hey… is something weird here?” into full-on lucidity.

An example is the phenomenon of the false awakening. The prelude to my most recent lucid dream was an extremely realistic false awakening where we were lying in bed in the early morning when one of our children entered the room, complaining of strange dreams. I found it odd that he used the word “vortex” in his speech (he’s 3) but it just wasn’t enough to make me lucid. My habit of RCing when odd things happen paid off, though – I nose-pinched, breathed, and then lucidity hit me like a bucket of cold water.

As for techniques, I have to once again recommend SSILD. It’s straightforward to execute, not difficult to perform, has a high rate of success, and the author himself is active on this forum. It’s when I adopted this technique that I became a regular lucid dreamer. It generally yields a big increase in false awakenings, too, so if you use this tech, keep working those reality checks. You’ll likely need them for the false awakenings.

You can check out the SSILD multi-part thread here.