R.E.M. discovery?

Yesterday i was conducting an experiment to experience the sensations while falling asleep while counting. What i discovered was that when 13 minutes or so passed, i had a sudden R.E.M. reflex, i was moving my eyes before the 13 minutes and nothing happened but when they passed everytime i moved my eyes they kind of got into the R.E.M., that ‘stage’ passed when i got to 20 minutes i think.

RESULTS:
Minutes
10- My fingers and toes went numb.
20- most of my body except limbs went numb and felt the black void ‘closer’.
25- Felt like all was the black void and saw bits of HI’s, also a bit of euphoria.
30- started heavy ‘headache-like’ sensations.
45-muscle pain heavily.
60-gave up.

Oh, wow.

So, what really interests me now is what position you were sleeping in? (Back, side, stomach…)

This could purely be individual, but it could also help in others’ REM-sleep experimentations.

I don’t think I’ve ever reached the 60-minute mark. I usually fall asleep - i.e.: give up - after 20 minutes. 25 minutes at best. Usually around the time I experience HI.

I was sleeping on my back and i think this is the best position in general for this kind of experiment.

Yeah the results are pretty much individual but i think the R.E.M. thing before the 90 minutes was something that could happen to more ppl, you might try if you want.

I normally reach 20 minutes or so too, but for this experiment i used a mp3 counting method so it helped me a lot achieved this. the most i reached was the start of the HI too, but it then dissapeared and i started having pain and stuff and i decided to quit and perphaps do it with WBTB.

Having a REM phase before 90 minutes is not very common but it happens to some people or in certain circumstances. It’s called SOREM (sleep onset REM).

I’m curious, how did you keep track of all of this? If there is an easy and reliable way to do it I wouldn’t mind recording this sort of thing myself :yes:

Well i used this mp3 where i put an 1-minute-duration-song and set it on replay; each time i heard the song again i would put the counting in my mind and remember what happened. After giving up i just wrote it quickly on a paper. :content:

Good idea!
I might have trouble falling asleep doing this but I think I’ll give it a try sometime :content:

I hope it works for you;
tell me the results as soon as possible.