[reading circle] The Hobbit

Chapter I

:yes: Isn’t it brilliant? :razz:

Ooooo, I hadn’t thought of that! Thanks for the great insight!

Chapter III

I don’t know what to think of that. They’re just… Different. Doesn’t bother me that much…

Chap. I + LOTR

I don’t think Gandalf evolved. He just became… Cliché… Seriously, I could tell he wasn’t dead and the white mage was him… He became 100% predictable… I didn’t like it.

I read up to chapter two, and I am getting tired of it. I did not enjoy this as much as the first chapter, and found it rather gimmicky. Also, a book came up that I MUST read at this point in my life(Ayn Rand’s Atlas Shrugged). Everyone I know who has read it has told me that it is a life changing book, and that is just what I need at this point in my life. So, I hope you all enjoy the book, and I will get back in the circle next moon.

Chapter 1

SPOILER - Click to view

I like the conversation too , especially the “good morning” thingy :happy:

I started reading it this morning. I’ve only read the first chapter so far, but I’ve read it before, as well as the LOTR books. I didn’t like it much the first time I read it, the story seemed a bit childish and didn’t really interest me as much as LOTR. But its much easier to read, so I’m giving it another chance…

[spoiler]Chapter 1+LOTR:
“Do you think the character just developed or do you agree with me—that Hobbit–Gandalf and LOTR–Gandalf are two completely different characters?”

I think that he is the same character, but shown from different perspectives. In the hobbit, Bilbo doesn’t know much about the outside world, and what Gandalf gets up to. He only knows that when he turns up, people go off on “mad adventures”. He seems more friendly and light-hearted than in LOTR - when he has more serious things to worry about and seems more dark and mysterious.[/spoiler]

eep, now i see what everybody means with spoilers and quotes. YOU CAN’T QUOTE INSIDE A SPOILER! – the spoilertags won’t work.

If you want to quote something, use " " or something.

i edited the above post to hide the spoiler :razz:

oops, sorry! I think I was editing it again at the same time as you to move the quote outside the spoiler, but thanks, thats a much better idea!

that’s exactly what i thought when i read that :smile: That would mean frodo has elves blood in him too, doesn’t it?

yay, used a spoiler tag :tongue:

I almost finished chapter 1, i agree it reads so much better than LOTR. I find it also lighthearted and funny. This is the first time I read it in english, when i read it when i was young it was in dutch, and i hated the way things where, especially of the songs. I always wondered what it would have looked like in the original language. Time to find out.

The first time I read the Hobbit, I read it in comic book form and I wanted to read more so I read LOTR too, I was 9 years old going to be 10.

Q: [spoiler]I think it would mean almost all Hobbits has Elfblood :wink: since they are very related to each others or atleast pretty many Hobbits[/spoiler]

Bruno & confused: [spoiler]I still like Gandalf, but Gandalf isn’t my favourite Wizard. I agrees with confused[/spoiler]

chapter 4

SPOILER - Click to view

I didn’t remember that Orcs ate ponies, it seems disgusting, I don’t like orcs but at the same time, they doesn’t seem pure evil maybe only 90% evil

I likes the spoiler tags ^^

I would love to read it in english too.

It really annoys me now.

Orc =Bergtroll , tusse eller troll !

Wolf=Varg is ok

Bilbo Baggins=Bilbo Sekker I mean , its translated to lommelun in the movie , and thats ok but sekker ?? :confused:

It becomes Bags in english.
I have a really really old copy , DARN LIBRARY !

Anyways :

Beorn

SPOILER - Click to view

I really love Beorn , Elrond and gandalf is best described in LOTR IMO , but beorn is fantastic , and the eagles aint bad either , but Beorn is fantastic.Anyone see how Beorn somewhat is a tad like Tom Bombadil ?

SPOILER - Click to view

I hate the way Gandalf in the hobbit is a “no one knows about him’” and some years later he is well known last hope of the men

I don’t have the book with me, else I’d have joined, so I guess I really shouldn’t be posting here. I have read it though and I really am wondering one thing about the books which I thought I bring up anyway.

SPOILER - Click to view

Someone mentioned that Hobbits may be related to Elves. I think the part about taking a fairy wife doesn’t really say much about their origins. They’ve been around longer than that, haven’t they? (Can’t recall… I wish I have the books with me. I was just thinking that maybe, Iluvatar (the god of gods), placed them in Middle-Earth similar to the Elves and Man who wakened in their appropriate time. I think they’re another surprise that came in the making of Arda. Although really… what are hobbits anyway? I often struggled as to where the race comes from.

You’re right, Alvin.

Warning: huge LOTR spoilers
[size=100]And a fact from the Silmarillion that I wouldn’t call a spoiler…[/size]

According to the Silmarillion, elves were the first creatures of Arda, they’re a “pure” “race” with barely no segregation (you can see that by the trouble the elvish girl whose name I don’ recall has because she loves Aragorn—or something like that, I don’t remember :razz:). The fact that Bilbo possibly descends fairies only means that he (possibly) has magic running in his veins, and that, therefore, adventure calls for him. :smile:

This spoiler contains things from LOTR-prologue and spoilers about Elvish weddings :wink: and some info about the origins of Elves, Dwarves and Humans from the Silmarillion
Alvin:[spoiler]I looked at the proluge of “The fellowship of the Ring” and I get the impression that no one knows where the hobbits come from, but it says in the prologue that Hobbits are more related to us(Humans) than Dwarves or Elves but I meant that maybe Bilbo was related to an Elf since there was Actually 3 Elves that married humans so why not a hobbit-elf wedding? :wink: That is who I think.
Elves was the Firstborn, and then came Humans, (even if dwarves were awake a short time before the Elves;-) (read Silmarillion for more info) but I’ll guess that the hobbits comes after Elves and Men and dwarves, maybe the have evolved from Man, that is my theory[/spoiler]

EDIT:
Petter:

[spoiler]
Petter wrote: “I hate the way Gandalf in the hobbit is a “no one knows about him’” and some years later he is well known last hope of the men,”

I think it’s more than a few years, remember that in the hobbit Bilbo is a young man(or hobbit) but in the first chapter of LOTR he’s 111 years old, so a long time has passed, so it isn’t impossible that Gandalf have been more famous during that time[/spoiler]

SPOILER - Click to view

Yeah , but I dont like to see the good gandalf be an unknmown “beggar” at Beorn ! Though I love the character Beron :content:

Gandalf is a genius. :rofl:

[color=indigo]More on Gandalf:

[spoiler]I don’t know very much about the complicated world Tolkien has set out, but I was under the impression that Gandalf was a mysterious and unknown figure only in the Shire, since the hobbits just didn’t function on the same wavelength as the rest of the world and preffered to live comfortable lives on their own. Sure, he would become better known in the Shire in between The Hobbit and The Fellowship of the Ring, but I always figured he was quite the celebrety in the rest of the world. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

I liked Gandalf better in this book, too. He was something of a God figure, someone seemingly all-powerful who never helped the characters out directly, always guiding them with benevolent intentions that the narration never revealed.[/spoiler]

I don’t know if I really want to get back into this book right now (my English teacher is quite brutal with her own reading schedule for us), but I must say that I absolutely loved it. It is right to say that the Lord of the Rings series, though a fantastic story, was a little too history-bookish… I felt like rather than just reporting what happened, The Hobbit delved far more into the thoughts, feelings, and overall personality of Bilbo throughout his adventure.

If you have the chance, I advise you to look up a copy of this book with illustrations by Michael Hague. My local library has one, and it is quite stunning. If you can’t get one, you can see a few of the pictures (not all of them are there, though there will still be some spoilers) by following this link.[/color]

Linko_16 about Gandal [spoiler]I agree with that, that Hobbits don’t know much about the outside world and that is the reason for Gandalf not being very famous among them[/spoiler]

Bruno & Petter [spoiler]I likes Gandal when he comes to Beorn too, ^^[/spoiler]

Petter [spoiler]Maybe , I’ll will think about Beorn and Tom when I comes to that chapter[/spoiler]

Chapter V : “Riddles in the dark”

SPOILER - Click to view

I really likes this chapter, and I likes all the riddles in the chapter, but Bilbo cheated in the end :wink: but since Gollum accepted it doesn’t matter :razz:. I think many forgets this about the ring, but in the middle of the day , you aren’t completely invisible but the others can see your shadow

I likes that Chapter^^

Wow, those are gorgeous! Thanks for the reference, Linko! :smile:

Also, my literature teacher’s also a bit mean… He’s making we read a book a month in the morning classes and a book a week in the optional in–depth course. It’s driving me nuts! :razz:

Chapter VI

SPOILER - Click to view

I think it is funny that Gandalf is sitting in a tree and throwing pinecones at the Wargs :grin: and the eagles are so Majestic if you know what I mean

Aren’t some scenes in this book just beautiful? I think it’s the book being lighter then the Lord of the Rings… While LOTR has this heavy, somewhat parnassian imagery—too colourful, to impactant for my taste—the Hobbit has this almost childish, sublime immagery… In which you find those moments like Gandalf throwing pinecones at the wargs… This is so cool. :smile: And I think this is what caught me about the Hobbit so much. It’s a lightweighted story, but there’s art in it, more than we know. It’ was beautifully written.

I finished it yesterday (or today .)

/me walks out of his room

"Better have 15 min.s on the comp. anmd go mto bed.

<looks at clock , 00:30>

<does 3-4 RCs>

<looks at clock 00:31>

I read for 3 hours straight and thought it was 1 :grin:

The end

SPOILER - Click to view

I love the ending words , …"said gandaf and handed Bilbo the tbacco :grin:

Hobbits (read the start of lotr too)

SPOILER - Click to view

I would love to eb a hobbit , the hobbits are the best creatures in midgard imo. Im not the BIG elven fan nor dwarves , but hobbits :grin: