Shared Sleep Paralysis!

Hi

I was discussing dreams with a friend, who knows nothing about LDs, SP, SDs etc and she told me about the fact that she gets sleep paralysis about 6 times a year. She didn’t even know what this was until I explained it to her but she said that the worst/most powerful time she had this was when she woke up in bed next to her husband and he had it at exactly the same time. Now he doesn’t know anything about dream and sleep phenomena either (and still doesn’t I don’t think) but they both came out of the sleep paralysis at exactly the same time and it scared him a bit. My friends technique of coming out of sleep paralysis is just to fight it until it eventually stops. I told her that she should just relax but she says that she has a strong feeling that she might die if she just lets go.

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions to the above. I’ve heard of shared dreaming (although arguably not proven) but shared sleep paralysis is completely new to me and they’ve no reason to make something like that up as they don’t even know what sleep paralysis is!!

Thanks for reading

Roy

maybe the old hag doesn’t like witnesses…

Unlike other states i believe that SP is strictly physicall.So id call it coincidence if it happens to two people at same time.
On the other hand there are shred dreams and telepathy which are the fields of mind and these can be believed to achieve for more than one person at the time as we dont really know how two brains and their frequencies can communicate.

i would say that perhaps if you tried to some stuff in the “physical plane” it could result in a dreamer (if you are trying to find them) entering in sleep paralysis, thus you being a sort of incubus if you will… two people have SP at the same time? Well people who sleep together eventually have the same sleep patterns (usually) so, yeah, it’s possible.

Hi, thanks for your thoughts everyone. I think that’s quite true about couples developing the same sleeping habits but that’s partly due to them going to bed and getting up at the same times possibly. The fact that one of them gets SP fairly regularly and the other has never had it, let alone heard of it, still strikes me as strange. I do think it may have some connection with the brain frequencies as Jack stated. After all the brains do run off electrical impulses in various waveforms (alpha, beta, theta etc) so if these signals can be read from outside the head (using techniques such as electroencephalography) then what’s to stop the signals from travelling from one brain to another when they’re in the same state next to each other.

I wouldn’t, however, say that SP is strictly physical. I think that, although it has physical implications (ie the body’s motor functions not yet switching themselves on during conciousness), this is caused by the brains state and is very closely linked with dreaming, lucidity and other such states. I believe this because I’ve been trying to get a friend of mine into lucid dreams and he’s been really keen to try as he’s sure that he had them when he was younger. He’s had SP before (which I posted about in ld4all.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p … ht=#116778 ) but I didn’t see any relevant connection. A short while ago however he sent me a text saying that he finally managed to have a lucid dream but couldn’t hold on to it and then woke up with SP. I think that becoming conciously aware whilst in the state of dreaming must be closely linked with being conciously aware and awake but without the brain giving the body the signals to turn its movement functions back on (which are switched off in sleep to prevent acting out what you dream).

Or then I suppose that the olg hag just doesn’t like witnesses, lol :tongue:

I’m kind of jealous , everyone on here always talks about getting sleep paralysis, but i’ve NEVER had it before :cry: I’m not afraid to get it because I know i could use it to enter a LD.

Too bad there isn’t really a way to induce SP…is there? :wink:

yeah there are plenty of ways, see the WILD thread… if you do it in the morning like WBTB + WILD you can get SP.

cool man that would be so awesome to have shared ld’s