Staying Awake Untill Dreamtime...

Hey I‘m new here and have a quick question. :smile: When I want to fall asleep and attempt to have a lucid dream, or any dream at all… most of the time… I sleep like a log, falling asleep very, very quickly and am able to sleep through the loudest of thunderstorms, let alone my alarm clock. I have been using mostly the counting method (1. I am dreaming, 2. I am dreaming… etc.), an occasional wake back to bed (twice ever), and the method where you focus on the inside of your eyelids until colors/pictures emerge. It seems like I fall asleep to fast and am sleeping before I even realize it. I just can’t seem to stay awake long enough to realize that I am dreaming, and usually I just sleep through it. I had some pretty good dream recall over the Christmas break, but ever since I have gone back to school, I have not been able to successfully recall any of my dreams in much detail. What would you guys suggest for me to stay awake long enough to realize that I am dreaming? Thanks.

Hello Matt :wave: welcome to the forum!

A good way to stay focused while counting is to listen to a monotonous sound, like the ticking of the clock. Jarod uses this method and I think it helps with the concentration and focus. Have you ever tried MILD ? do you do reality checks? they may work better for you than trying to fall asleep consciously. :content: Here you’ll find some useful tips on how to choose the technique that works best for you. As for the recall, in time you will be able to remember dreams even when you have school. Keep practising and let us know how you’re doing.

Good Luck! :happy:

Matt,
You are not thinking of dreams in the right way I don’t think. For most people it’s not like you lie down and start to realize your dreaming like a daydream
It’s more like you realize that you are dreaming right now!
That’s what it woould feel like in a dream most likely, just like real life.

Also, falling asleep quickly is great, most people that can dream at will fall asleep quickly, because suggesting to yourself tat you will dream will probably be the last thing on your mind before you fall asleep.

You should realize that when you fall asleep it is going to take you around an hour of reg. sleeping before you enter REM sleep at start to dream.