That gut feeling you get when you do something horribly bad

Don’t you hate it when you do something in a dream that you would never do in real life (such as getting in a accident and killing the other person) and automatically you get a huge sinking feeling like “WHY DID THIS HAPPEN TO MEEEE!!!” feeling, as if you just witnessed the end of your life as you know it as if you are being crushed by a unbelievably strong force like you are inside out lost in confusion, just wondering if anybody else gets this in some dreams.

Depends on the dream. I can do some kinda horrible things in my dreams that I don’t notice until I’ve woken up, but I have had a few really horrible dreams that I woke up still enjoying, and it made me wonder what the hell was wrong with me since I wanted to go back to sleep into the dream again. I was pretty normal after a minute or two though, and then the disgust kicked in. D:

Yes, that feeling is familiar, and actually a dreamsign. I get it in the moment that i realise that the damage i caused can’t be reversed. It makes me panic, and has made me lucid many times.

I don’t have this with dreams once I wake. Well I guess I have to some degree where I thought I had done something in reality, like sleep in and miss going to work due to the content of the dream tricking me for a moment into thinking I’d woken up and switched off my alarm. I seem to have an ‘insulation’ with dreams that prevents my actions in them from making me ashamed of myself. To me dreams are no more to be ashamed of than a thought. My mind and fantasy are free havens where I am not really harming others so have no reason to be ashamed of anything I do, think or feel.

Saying that, I do seem to recall a few emotionally charged dreams where the storyline required me to be distressed and therefore I was. Including the feeling of having committed a horrible crime. That feeling isn’t consistent though and forms more a part of the storyline than a genuine reaction. I’ve had dreams where I displayed a psychotic degree of hate and violence towards innocents, something that would destroy me if I did so in reality, however I felt no shame during the dream and I don’t after having awoken from it either. I used to feel the shame, but now I refuse to subjugate my thoughts since I believe its unhealthy. I embrace all I dream/think even if it runs extremely counter to my self-identity. There is usually a psychological reason I am dreaming such things.

Very surprised to see this thread, i’m expiriencing something similar. It doesn’t happen often and i don’t feel it in the dream… i think it happens when exiting a dream. I feel like somethig very bad has happened and i can’t make things right again. it feels like it’s the end of the world… very bad feeling! and mostly when i wake up i need time like 1-2min to release that this bad feeling was just a dream and everything is ok… and i can’t recall any dreams, only that awful feeling! very strange… i can’t describe it with words! only happened to me like 5 times in my life so far…

Well i got the idea of this thread from watching cops… anyway

Well i get this feeling not so often but usually but my dreams get very realistic sometimes to the point where i had 5 fingers and remembered where i was last… so when i get this irreversible feeling it hits me then and only gets worse until i wake up but every time i get this i have perfect dream recall (maybe it stimulates something in the brain that increases temp. Memory) so it only fades away after i wake up and realize it was only a dream.

I once got really mad at this DC I was arguing with, and I grabbed his hands and shouted to him. I managed to rip off his right hand by accident, and I felt like total shit… even after I woke up.

Last night I had a very vivid normal dream. Bad stuff kept happening, and I was all alone searching for my friend. When I found him, he said he was very sick and I felt guilty because I was searching for a way out when he needed me. :sad: But thankfully it was only a dream!

Oh man I’ve had this feeling before. It can ruin my entire day. Even if what happened just happened in my dream. I blame it on the vividness… :sigh: