The train of thoughts

Okay, I’ve had many problems while training. Relaxation, remembering dreams, which luckily i have been able to overcome. But the big one, calming my mind, is still undefeated.

Thats why im hoping to find some help from here, how to calm your mind, stop the train of thoughts just running and running. Theyre random, they just occur, which probably you understand, is frustrating. So, how to overcome this? Any techniques which help to calm the mind and somehow quiet the thoughts?

Same thing happens to me, Aoy8. I just try meditating for about 15 minutes before I go to sleep. That helps for me. Also, take deep breaths…breath in, tense the muscles of your feet…breathe out, relax the muscles of your feet. Keep doing this for each sexction of your body up to your head (feet, calves, upper legs, hips, stomach, chest, shoulders)

Hope I helped,
Dili Dali

Yeah, what Dili Dali said works fine. The tensing and relaxing the muscles is usually in the relaxation part.
The other night I had a lot going on in my mind and was kind of insomnious. I had relaxed but my mind kept bombing me with thoughts. Breathing deeply in and out usually helps. It gets you into a bit more calm and lightheaded state so it helps you fall asleep.
To literally stop thoughts I think it would be Zen Meditation, but I’m not quite sure if I’m pointing out the right one.
Good luck, breath in breath out.

peace@us.all

Breath in for 4 seconds hold it for 10 seconds and then breath out for 6 seconds… then repeat. When you breath in, push the air down into your stomach. Breath in through your nose and out through your mouth. And just focus on your breathing.

You will keep getting little thoughts that pop in and out… but just bring your attention back to your breathing.

Hope this little technique helps.

LOL! I think you’re attacking the main problem of humankind ! Give us a solution if you find one! :lol:
It’s a good thing if you can watch your thoughts. It means that your mind is rather clear. Most of the people don’t see their thoughts, some of them even don’t realize they’re thinking all the time.
I don’t think that calming your mind is necessary in order to have a LD. Why do you want to calm you mind?
But if you absolutely want, you should have a look at this thread: Silent mind

I don’t usually need to, as Carnun said, focus my attention on breathing. I just concentrate enough attention to breath a little harder, and my mind calms a little.
It helps me when I’m insomniac.
And it helps me see HI! Not see HI, notice HI!
peace@us.all

Heh I had the same problem, my mind just wouldn’t go blank and I couldn’t sleep. You know what helped? A little herb pill that calmed down my heart.
Sometimes if you relax your body, the mind will follow.
I’m not saying you should take the sleeping pill, these people gave you good advice about relaxation. Then when your heart beat is really calm and very quiet, listen to it. Feel it beat inside you. You can count heartbeats. It helped me.