Time in a dream and time in reality

Well I found this “Time Distortion Exercise” on the Internet. I haven’t had success with it myself, but if anyone else is interested… self-hypnosis then time distortion exercise

I read a martial arts fiction novel one time about monks training them selves to slow sand in an hourglass… Sort of a KUNG-FU type thing (the TV show) any how one of the things he did was to count the blades on a rotating fan because he could “slow” his perception of time enough to see it…

:eh:
mitafax

I feel more like I do now than I did before…

In my opinion, time travels normally in dreams. But I also think that it’s easy to lose track of time in a regular dream, just like daydreaming. Also, it’s difficult to judge time based on traveling from place to place, because often you’ll warp from one point to the next while walking a long distance.

i DONT LIKE TO SEE IT COMPARED TO A MOVIE, B/C WE ARE ALWAYS TOLD THERE NOT REAL!

Measured time is not the same type of thing as experienced time. Measured time is, e.g., the movement of the hands of a clock from one position to another. Experienced time is a much more complex thing, perhaps the most basic structure of consciousness. Husserl describes it in “The Phenomenology of Internal Time-Perception” as being centred around a more-or-less fuzzy present, with memories of the past and anticipation of the future. The human experience of time is much more like that than it is like mathematically measured time, which is surely a technolgical artefact, since the natural experience of time pre-exists the artefact of measured time. It has often been observed that linear time is a relatively modern concept (as is the concept of a relatively modern concept, etc.) and the time has often been thought of as circular in various ways - THE day cycles through light and dark, and we act within it.

In a more advanced development of the phenomenology of time, Gaston Bachelard in “The Dialectic of Duration” describes how we are always making a memory at the same time as we live through something. This particularly applies to dreams, which in a way only exist as memories, as they are so easily forgotten. There is a complex inter-relation between past, present and future. They all define each other.

So maybe the ‘real length’ of a dream doesn’t mean very much.

Isn’t it interesting how dreams are so much more difficult to remember than LD’s? Maybe this is why non-LD’ers can gloss over the possibilities of LD’s: because unless you’re conscious in a dream you don’t really “experience” it. Maybe if people could really experience and remember their dreams, LD’s would be more mainstream and popular. All I know is, if Nintendo or Sony made a video game system with graphics half as realistic as an LD, people would be buying them like crazy.