Twin Peaks - And other Lynch Work

I’m starting this thread with a question:
Are there enough people here who know Lynch, and his films and TV work, well enough to have a good thread going? I’ve just completed rewatching the first season of Twin Peaks and the movie, Fire Walk With Me, and I’ve just seen for the first time the second season, and I REALLY want to talk about it and discuss it, but none of my friends have seen it! Anyone in here a TP fan, or a fan of Lynch’s other work?

I have seen two episodes of Twin Peaks (We have the howl first season, but I never get time to see it.).
I think it is stupid that they made him reveal the murderer in the middle of the second season.

I also have seen: Eraser Head, Dune, Wicker Man & 4 minutes of Blue Velvet (My mother did not want my younger sister to see it, and my sister did not want to go to bed if I did not (She says it is unfair if I can be up longer then she :yuck: )).

EDIT: I forgot The Elephant Man!

Unfortunately (as much as you might envy my childhood memories of Twin Peaks), I don’t remember any of it, except for the visual aspect. It were trash days in my life: I was four, I had had an overdose—you know those The Flintstones" vitamin things? Well, I managed to open a bottle and had half of it myself (my cousin had the other half). So I was in the hospital, mom was there with me, and she watched it. When we went back to the farm, I insisted in watching it with her, something she was very annoyed about, but ended up letting me. I really liked to watch it, I called the show “Laura Palmer,” and soon I’d be saying “mom, lets go watch Laura Palmer, it’s time!” :lol:

But anyways, I don’t remember much of the plot, no. Although, if you ask me, Desperate Housewives definitely brings up some childhood memories related to “Laura Palmer…” Both stories about the Yank suburban people, with a lot of visual, shocking scenes… I don’t know how much they are similar to each other, “Laura Palmer” seemed to be more disturbing, but then again, it might be just that I was young at the time.

No, you’re quite right Bruno. Twin Peaks is credited as the inspiration behind many “weird” series, such as Desperate Housewives and Northern Exposure.

Hi Daylight,

I’m a great fan of David Lynch movies. I think David Lynch is one of the the very best realisators of this twenty last years - with Stanley Kubrick and Roman Polanski (curiously, I’ve read an interview of Lynch in which he said his prefered directors were Kubrick and Polanski. :smile: )

I’ve seen all his long movies, from Eraser Head to INLAND EMPIRE. As for his Twin Peaks serie, as I said it to you before, I’ve just seen the six first episodes. :sad: But just today, a friend of mine came at home and told to me he could gave me the thirty one episodes. :happy:

I haven’t seen his short movies, other TV series and online short series.

I’ve seen Eraserhead, Elephant Man, and a few shorts including The Grandmother and The Alphabet.

David Lynch is amazing. I love surrealism, and he is a master at it.

I really like the work of David Lynch, unfortunately I haven’t seen a lot of it. I have seen mulholland drive and the elephant man. I would love to see more movies from him.

A friend has seen Twin Peaks and she says it’s really something for me and I should watch it. Unfortunately I still haven’t seen it =/

What do you think is his best work?

IMO, Eraserhead. There is truly no other film quite like it. The only thing is, it has one of those “you can’t unwatch it” endings. (and this is coming from a person who has seen all manners of gore… yet nothing even close to being as disturbing as the last few minutes of Eraserhead)

Though Lynch generally treats the same subject with the same point of view, his style has changed and his treatment of the story evolved a lot with time. Thus it’s hard to say what is it’s best work.

“Eraser Head” is a semi-expressionist, semi-surrealistic movie. It has a beautiful B&W and very oneiric and impressive scenes.

“The Elephant Man” is a very good movie, in B&W and a rather classical style - it sounds like very influenced by “Freaks” by Tod Browning and “The Wild Child” by François Truffaut.

“Dune” is a classical Sci-Fi movie. It’s OK yet Lynch considers it as his worst movie and he didn’t want his name to appear on the credits.

“Blue Velvet”, “Wild at Heart”, the “Twin Peaks” TV series and the movie “Twin Peaks, Fire walk with me” have quite the same treatment, they are dark and violent crime stories which are presented through a very particular point of view. “Wild at Heart” is the softest, “Twin Peaks, Fire walk with me” the most violent.

“The Straight Story” is a sort of very simple, classical and touching road movie, but with a surprising hero… and an even more surprising way of travelling. It looks more like a Jim Jarmusch’s movie, yet with an Edward Hopper’s point of view. There are direct references to Hopper, by the way.

“Lost Highway”, “Mulholland Drive” and “INLAND EMPIRE” are explorations of dream and thought IMO. The story is completely distorted with plenty of dream logic and dream “rethorical figures”. In this style, “Mulholland Drive” is perhaps the best movie, because of its perfect construction.

“Eraser Head”, “Lost Highway” and “INLAND EMPIRE” are so curious and different from normal movies that it is worth seing them. And of course “Mulholland Drive” but you’ve already seen it.

Last scenes in “Eraser Head” and “Twin Peaks, Fire walk with me” (the movie) may be disturbing.

I think his work with Twin Peaks is perhaps his best, due to the depth of the plot line in the series and the beauty of the film. Blue Velvet is also a personal favorite. I keep rewatching Eraserhead though, and I see it’s good points, but I must say, and I know this is blasphemy for a Lynch fan; but I’m not sure I see the greatness everyone else sees. Also, while still one of my favorite movies, I think Mulholland Drive is far from his best. I also have alot of respect for his miniseries, “Rabbits”. Check that out.

About Inland Empire, I remembered having seen a poster where it was said something like: “a woman in trouble finds the man who can help her”. Now I’ve searched the net and I just find “A woman in trouble”, I do no more find any reference to a helpful man. Was it a dream of mine? :eh:

I’ve kept up on INLAND EMPIRE since before anything was known about it, and there was only speculation on a new Lynch film. So I’ve been following the film for about 3-4 years, and have only heard the woman in trouble part.

For my happy non-birthday, my brother offered to me a big book (400 pages) about David Lynch’s exhibition “The air is on fire” in Paris, 2006. This book is about his paintings and photographs. :happy:

The easier way I can summarize his painted work is that it looks like it was made by a very deep psychotic. :crazy: Compared to Lynch’s paintings, Jean Michel Basquiat’s look like naive, cute and merry drawings made by a well educated little girl. :razz:

That’s great, BW! I’ve been itching to see some of Lynch’s photography work, as I myself do, and quite enjoy, photography. And Lynch paintings sound cool as well! I’ve only seen what he’s used in his released films, i.e. Six Figures Getting Sick. Any chance you could scan some paintings and photos or direct me to a website where some of his work is posted?

By the way, have you been watching Twin Peaks?

I’ve no scanner but I’ll try to post some links towards some choosen paintings. If I can find them on the net, it’s great. Or else I could photograph them.

My friend lives just 100 km away, but I’ve not been able to find any time to go at him’s for the moment, so I still haven’t the episodes. :sad:

I found a website with images of much of his paintings photos, prints, and furniture, as well as great descriptions of his other work as well.
www.thecityofabsurdity.com

Waw! There are many paintings that are not in my book! :happy:

I tried to see what is inside the Fondation Cartier website about the David Lynch exhibition “The air is on fire”, (to find it you can google for: cartier lynch air fire ) but they asked me to download the newest Macromedia Flash Player and when I click on the button, my IE exploses. :cry:

Only Lynch film I’ve seen is Dune. I’d say it’s very underrated.

Can somebody tell me why Lynch is still completely traumatized by his Dune movie? He even didn’t want his name to appear in the credits.

Because it was just that bad :razz: