What Book Are You Reading? — Part II

Discworld series is fantastic, I’m up to book 8 at the moment. It’s funny though, Pratchett switches between comedy (like those with the walking treasure chest and Rincewind the Magician) and real drama (with Granny Weatherwax et al). It’s good though, I like how Pratchett changes the pace every other novel. :yes:

The first three novels in the series are fantastic! Unfortunately, it goes downhill from there on… :sadyes:

John Steinbeck’s The Grapes of Wrath

I have just finished:
Dyanna Wynne Jones’ “Howl’s Moving Castle”
Neil Geiman’s “Coraline”
Philip Ardagh’s “Awful End”
Philip Ardagh’s “Dreadful Acts”

And am now reading Kōshun Takami’s Battle Royal.

I’ve read it too recently. Hayao Miyazaki’s anime adaptation is far better. It’s very interesting to see what changes he has done.

I have to disagree with that. He took such liberties with the translation, and a lot of good things were lost in the process. I didn’t particularly love the style in which Diana wrote HMC, but it was a far better story than the adapted film. I think what bothered me most was the loss of continuity. How come Sophie often appears as a young woman in the film when she is trapped inside the body of an old woman? The whole part about the war that never was irked me, and Howl himself was so different from the quirky, flawed novel version. As with most things, the original is usually better. And if not seen in that light, at the very least, it’s truer.

I read Coraline not too long ago, and for a children’s book, it was quite creepy. Gaiman sure knows how to tell a story. :smile:

I just finished Mercy by Jodi Picoult. Anybody read any of her novels? She’s my favorite author.

pendragon: the lost city of faar by DJ MacHale
its a pretty good series so far :happy:

finished “Animal Farm” by George Orwell

Bruno> Guns, germs, and steel was a great movie (we watched it in History last year :content: ).

I have “A Farewell to Arms” collecting dust on my nightstand.

I re-read “The Redemption of Althulas”. Great book, it’s god everything… plus a talking cat :eek:

“How to Become A Famous Novelist Before You Die” by Ariel Gore
nonfiction that starts out in an interesting way

Tomorrow I’m going to go get “Slaughterhouse Five”.

I am currently reading “The Ultimate Hitchhiker’s Guide” by Douglas Adams, for about the fifth time.

I am currently reading the new “Hunters of Dune” by Brian Herbert and Kevin Anderson. I was excited when I got my hands on it. (I’ve read every ‘Dune’ book except for the Houses trilogy and the Road to Dune.) Hopefully it will keep me occupied a bit.

Oh, what a coincidence…so am I :content:

“The Affirmation of Life: Niezche on overcoming Nihilism” (Not that I am a Nihilist…yet") Gotta love Niezche’s writings. His belief in the concept of the Will to Power is astonishing, and though his ideas towards the formulation of values are radical, they are still quite cool.

What is Slaughterhouse Five about, by the way?

I just finished the sword of shannara and the elfstones of shannara and i’m now reading the wishsong of shannara :grin: Simply rocks… :nuu: :ebil:

Léa Silhol La Glace et La Nuit (the title means : The Ice and the Night) (exist Only in french)
If you can read french go here

She also published novels in english :

“Under the needle” published in Outsider

“Emblemata” published in Interfictions

So I went to get Slaughterhouse Five yesterday (it was actually the day that the author, Kurt Vonnegut, died… :sad: ), but they didn’t have it.

So I bought The Catcher in the Rye instead.

That’s by Kurt Vonnegut?

A while ago i read slapstick. I had never heard of him before and my friend walked up to me in the hall, handed me slapstick and told me to read it.

I loved it.

…he’s dead? that sucks!

Well i’ll have to get Slaughterhouse 5 then.

I enjoyed that. Holden is a great character. I was sad to finish the story.

I’ve not been reading much fiction recently. Need some reccomendations.
For the last couple of days i’ve been looking at my book of Emily Dickinson poems. I quite like this one:

[i]How the old Mountains drip with Sunset
How the Hemlocks burn—
How the Dun Brake is draped in Cinder
By the Wizard Sun—

How the old Steeples hand the Scarlet
Till the Ball is full—
Have I the lip of the Flamingo
That I dare to tell?

Then, how the Fire ebbs like Billows—
Touching all the Grass
With a departing—Sapphire—feature—
As a Duchess passed—

How a small Dusk crawls on the Village
Till the Houses blot
And the odd Flambeau, no men carry
Glimmer on the Street—

How it is Night—in Nest and Kennel—
And where was the Wood—
Just a Dome of Abyss is Bowing
Into Solitude—

These are the Visions flitted Guido—
Titian—never told—
Domenichino dropped his pencil—
Paralyzed, with Gold—
[/i]

Me too, I am a big fan of Myiazaki, but the book was better.

Oh, and I am current reading “Let the Right One in” (or “La den rette komme inn” as it is named in the Norwegian translation) by John Ajvide Lindqvist.

I haven’t finished “Battle Royal” thought.

[mod]topic continues in part III here[/mod]