What Book Are You Reading? -- Part V

Gorillas in the Mist by Dian Fossey. We have to read an “uplifting” book for a “socratic” seminar because all this year our English class has been reading “depressing” books like Macbeth, Frankenstein, Night, and 1984.

I Just finished The Giver by Lois Lowry. It only took me two days because it’s a short book. But, I liked it :smile:
Now I’m reading Gathering Blue. It’s sort of a sequel to The Giver. It’s also really short, I should finish it soon.

Don’t forget The Messenger ! It ties the first two books together, somewhat.

I finally got my hands on Animal Farm and Uglies, which I am reading now. I actually got my hands on the whole Uglies series. :grin:

Two weeks ago my friend tried to get me to read Twilight. :yuck: I don’t mean any offense to the swarms-about-to-become-mobs who love the book (and the hollow characters…) but after a few chapters I had to put it down for my own sanity. :razz:

My brother’s reading Twilight.
I don’t know if I’ll read it.
And yes, I will read The Messenger :smile:

I started the Aeneid (Already finished the Iliad and the Odyssey), but my eyes feel like they will explode whenever I try to read it.

I haven’t read a book in probably close to a year. Not kidding.

I can still read the writing on the wall. That’s what counts.

One time I haven’t read for like two years.
I broke that not-reading streak this month when I realized how long it was since I actually read a book.
(not counting school text books)

Thanks for the hint! I was about to buy it today from a local store, but unfortunately there was only 1 copy and someone was quicker than me, and bought it earlier today. So i ordered it and hoping to get withing 3 weeks :smile:

So far i have watched some of his movies, and also clips from Youtube. Really interesting stuff for someone who is interested about human mind, psychology and how manipulation works.

I have the bad habit of reading numerous books at once, so right now I’m reading The Electric Kool-aid Acid Test (a must read for everyone! :smile: ) Deep Spirit & Great Heart: Living in Marijuana Consciousness, and Demon Box, by Ken Kesey.

I think a lot of you guys would really love kesey’s style. Very surreal but still genuine.

i think instead of the pkd book, i’ll try House of Leaves.
i heard it’s really weird and come people said they have to put it down or can’t sleep.

I’m reading The Necronomicon by H.P. Lovecraft, it’s great! :happy:

H.P Lovecraft is always a great read :happy:
Hve you read the dream quest to unknown kadath ?

Nope, I just finished The Call of Cthulhu :cool:

I finished both Animal Farm and the first book in the Uglies series. I’m going to Borders tomorrow, somewhat randomly, so I’ll be searching through old pages of this thread for suggestions. :wink:

I got done with Catch-22 and I’m now reading Secret Life of Bees for school. Then after that I’ll be reading Into The Wild. I’ve seen the first part of the movie too.

I just read…

Twilight
New Moon
Eclipse
(can’t wait til the next one comes out!!)
by Stephanie Meyer
AND another one of her books The Host :smile:

I’ve heard of those books. All the girls in my school were driving me crazy going on about some character called ‘Edward’.

Lately, I’ve been reading a lot of Mario Puzo books the author of the bestseller Godfather.I’ve read Fools Die and The Fortunate Pilgrim, 2 non-mafia books and The Last Don a mafia book similar to the Godfather.

I have just finished reading Paulo Coelho’s book “Diary of a Magus”, and I must say I find it extremely elevating. I started reading it because I knew it was fantasy-oriented, but I ended up with something different.

I started to think the “How good it could be to walk such paths” when I understood I already do, we all do (here): We dream. The path to dreaming is very similar to the pilgrimage to Santiago - With the only difference being that you don’t need a single guide in the way.

funny, i really didn’t like that book. i disliked it with a passion, in fact!:smiley:

right now i’m (still) reading A General History of Pyrates and L’Aventure Grecque (Greek Adventure, a book on ancient greek history). the book on Nietzsche’s life & thought i was reading is awesome, i recommend it to everyone with even the slightest interest in philosophy. if you can’t be bothered checking in my last post in this topic, i’m talking about Walter Kaufmann’s Nietzsche.

I’m reading Dies the Fire by S.M. Stirling. My father’s colleague moved to the Netherlands a few weeks ago and left a box packed full of science fiction books outside his office door. We gladly picked them up. :grin:

Bruno… I saw that Nietzsche book at the bookstore when I picked up The Gay Science. It sounds like a good introduction to his work before actually reading it, no?