WHY?!?!?!?!??!

Hello all Dreamers,
Just out of Curiosity, Why is LDing SOOOO hard for some people to learn but comes naturally for others. Just a Random Question
LIVE THE (LUCID) DREAM,
DatGuy

Moved from General Lucidness :dragon:

That’s a hard question to answer, since dreams in and of themselves are still a mystery. Perhaps it’s the way one person looks at the world compared to another, or maybe it’s the way their brain is wired. I knows some aspiring LDers get caught up on technique rather than the simple conecpt, and others doubt themselves to the point of being unable to LD. What I have seen is that when someone does dedicate enough time and effort, when they begin to question if they are awake or dreaming at all times, and when they stop worrying with how long progress takes, they will have an LD.

Thats Interesting.
Got any ideas about how a newbie(I’ve only been trying for about 2 or 3 weeks) like me could start up? I’ve already read the guide and I’m constantly seeking new info on LDs

Do RC’s all the time, whenever you think about it (not just when you see something weird like some guides suggest). As you do them, actually ask yourself “am I awake or am I dreaming?” This is great because it gets you in the habbit of actually questioning when you’re dreaming or not, and your SC picks up on the fact that you want to know the answer at all times. If you have a hard time remembering to RC, set a timer to go off every hour or so to remind you, or do one every time you walk through a door.

Also, set an intention to remember to RC in your dreams as you fall asleep. MILD is good for this; as you drift to sleep tell yourself “I will remember to do an RC while I am dreaming tonight” and other things like this. I’d avoid more complex techs like WILD until you feel confident enough in your ability to stay aware. A lot of newbies get stuck on trying to WILD and eventually get frustrated and give up.

Don’t fret the small things. If you don’t have an LD right away, its ok. It’s a difficult concept to get through to your SC. It took me a few months for my first, but I didn’t do RC’s a lot. Once I began to understand their importance, I began having at least 1 a week. Good luck to you, and don’t measure your success based on the success of others :content:

Ok then.
Ill have to try the MILD technique as I’ve only attempted it once; i was getting hung up on the WILD :razz:
I have had trouble with ths RCs until recently. I set my screensaver to say “Are You Awake?” and i put pieces of paper in the plastic cover things that let you display stuff in my Binder that say “Are You Awake?”

OMG i cant believe i forgot this, i Cant manage to think of a mantra, any suggestions or ideas of how to come up with One?

Check out this topic here for ideas on how to make good mantras.

Rhewin, was wondering, when seeing HI is this a good time to recite a mantra? it seems like the SC would receive it better.

I usually repeat “I’m dreaming” so I don’t lose myself in the images.

i mean recite as you see the images. do you really get lost in them that much if its not your intension?

Well you have to understand that I do WILD after waking up later in the night, so I slip back into sleep very quickly. If I’m not careful, it’ll turn into an ND fast.

If you’re to the point of seeing images, there’s no real reason to do a mantra other than to keep your focus. It keeps your mind active while not disrupting you enough to break the flow.

I hope that answers your question, but let me know if you need more clarification :content:

ok, i don’t wbtb unless on the weekends, so when i drift off i would do it the same as a WILD, but ofcoarse never get into the dream because im a rookie, also not tired enough… but i just thought that the closer you are to sleep, the more likely your mantras will meet you on the other side.

…not really full images, more like psychidelic patterns.

The main point of mantras is to get a message through to your SC. Now, if you are very close to sleep, then it does seem to help (probably because you seem more likely to dream about the last thing on your mind). It also follows that if you are seeing images and HI, you’re probably close to sleep, so mantras could help you out. The best advice I can give is to try it and see what happens :tongue:.

Doing a mantra at any time is always a good idea. The more you do it while actually concentrating and thinking about the words, the more likely you are to successfully MILD. Heck I do them when I’m fully awake during the day; just little memos like “I need to remember to RC in about # hours.”

thanks for the help. i dont usually MILD, but last night i did it abit while relaxed in bed, and my dream ended up me talking to a girl in a public washroom about LD, i said something, than she said “good, you’re well on your way” lol, i even looked at my hand but it was a gesture more too relate with what i was saying… the whole time i was missing the fact that there was a girl in a mens washroom or vie versa.

That’s actually a really good sign. If you’re thinking about LD’s enough for it to transfer into dreams, all you have to work on is your awareness.

thats good news. everyday i work, and during that time… or any day, the “RC” thought comes up atleast every hour…or, more-like the question “am i dreaming” -than the RC itself. i try to feel presence in any sense of the word, i ask myself, and feel for gravity, etc… but i was wondering if RC work better or worse if i stop in the midst of working to ask myself, rather than not doing much like say watching tv and ask myself.

if i relax enough tonight im going to visualize the washroom scene, and/or keep up the mantra “are you dreaming? yes im dreaming” haha