Would you push the button?

Firstly, this is not a topic about that.

But even if it was…couldn’t someone else pay for it? Someone rich?

wait a second…

Can I unplug the button and then press it?

Because pressing buttons is really fun. :grin:

heh Mew, good idea :smile:

I don’t think killing is good,nor it would be pleasant experience to loose someone close to you, but if you look at life as a state of mind, another dream,an illusion what it really is, you can’t consider it really bad either. death Is just IS. No more, no less. Some people would consider death a reward, end of problems , quiet and pure state, as i considered it before. Now I consider it just neutral.

• there is always a chance you will end life of someone who is vegetating, fully paralyzed or some other state in which he doesn’t want to live anymore, that isn’t ruining a happy life. And what defines happy life , in this time it’s all about money and other material things. And few ones who are spiritually rich wouldn’t look at it as bad. dunno just my way of thinking, every one has right to opinion.

Or you could kill some perfectly happy and healthy person, and ruining the lives of everyone who was close to him.

whether the button kills someone in your family or not, you are still ending a life, and changing the lives of whoever loved that person.

Well, i didn’t argue that point.
I’m just trying to say that people make death too much of a thing. For some it is, for some it isn’t. We are not here to judge.

we could go forever like this : but you could kill a person who doesn’t want to live anymore. It’s all in chances.

That’s true.
As well, the people who look down upon death are Europeans and their counterparts. (North America etc) People in other places/religions view it differently, what death is to one person, isn’t the same as another.

Not that a person should outright kill anyone. I think you should press the button depending on how you would use the money.

I’m sorry, I agree with most of the people here, but where exactly have you seen this possibility? Because there’s a book, a very old one, who explores that exact possibility, and when you said about a movie preview…

That’s the fun of thinking, you know. What if there was the possibility. ‘What if’ is pretty powerful and is one of man’s greatest advantages over other species in terms of mental capability.

But about the pushing the button and using the money to help people: that’s an argument of what is the “greater good”. Sure, one person dies, but you get the money, right? You can set up a foundation or donate or whatever and make many, many people’s lives better. But what if you killed a nation’s leader? Or what if the person that died was a diplomat or an ambassador or some such person? The repercussions would be immense. You could potentially start World War III or completely destabilize a country. Would that be worth it?

what if you could just get half the money and half kill someone :eh:

Lol, yea, we’ll just put him in a coma and wait for him to wake up. Half dead?

I wouldn’t push it… bad for the conscious

Psychologically speaking, based on peoples responses, you can tell what moral stage they are at… I don’t know them all though! :tongue:
I know stage 4 is law and order (killing is illegal) and stage 6 is formulation of universal ethics principles (if the situations were reversed, would they do it to me?) but I forgot stage 5. Stages 3 and under dont really matter, they are usually found only in younger kids.

Anyway…
I was thinking very hard about this, and very long.
Would someone kill me for money? Why would they? What would they do with the money?
But to understand, you need to know some deep introspective things about yourself, otherwise you cannot decide how people percieve you and whether or not you would kill them for the money.
Short version:
Who are you inside?
Long version:
What are your motives? What drives you to do what you do? Would you want to die so someone can live comfortably? Would you die to save others lives? Would you die for your family to be rich?
But how do we know what we would do? The choices are not something we can just make. I dont believe anyone can know until faced with the situation.
But upon the brink of death, what do you think you would honestly do? Would you die? Are you prepared to give it all?
Do you think you can?
It seems as if life and death are entwined… We live until we die or die for life.
But as for taking a human life, the deep question you need to ask yourself is:
Who are you?
Understand yourself, then you can gain a better understanding of your actions and others. Then, perhaps, you can decide. But keep in mind: your actions define who you are, and who you are defines your actions. Consider what you do and the implications.

Now, consider everything carefully.
Would you push the button?
i apologize for the long post. i had to go overly philosophical for once.

Shadow dreamer

That you’re talking about is Kohlbregs (?) stages of morality. Number 5 is "Social Contract orientation. At least I think so.

I believe the question here, to it’s fundamental value is the meaning of life. Does my life have any meaning? Does the guy who I’m going to kill for money has any meaning? We want it to have, so we can rely on something at end, the same reason why we believe in religion. It’s most obvious that people who kill, and even kill for money have the perspective that life, by all ways is meaningless. While people who do everything as supposed to, say the same!
Why is that, I ask? I don’t know, anybody has the answer?..

nope. I wouldnt even touch it

I’ve thought about this before. I don’t think I personally would touch the thing. You can’t put a price on a life.
At the same time, from a Utilitarian standpoint, if the money was used to save the many lives of others in need, I can see how someone would press the button.

Sounds right to me- thanks!

I like your line of thinking, by the way. But in a sense, can’t everything be related to the meaning of life? :yinyang:

I guess so…but that would mean any debate would end in a philosophical discussion about it, and that doesn’t happen does it? :wink:

What can of thread is this?
This is absolutely disgusting and horrible. This thread should be locked!

LOL. Nahh Jokes :razz:

No I would not.

This is basically saying that your a murder that gets paid for his victims. Which is a big no-no.

Or perhaps people aren’t asking the right questions.
And i saw your earlier post, and yes, it was a movie preview. There was more to it, but I asked only the philosophical/ethical/moral question.

well the normal moral of a person is to say “no i wont touch the thing” and i completely agree. you need more details before you should even look at the button.you following me here