30 Year Old Newbie With Lots of Questions! (read that page)

Hi all, I just want to start off by saying that I did read the FAQ and Tutorials but I kinda have multiple questions on multiple topics and was hoping here would be okay.

Friday (3 days ago) was the first Lucid Dream I’ve ever had. I didn’t even know that’s what they were called or that they existed. I just knew that the 3 dreams I had that night was all the “sleep” I got. Same thing the next night. This time I even took 40mg of Melatonin before bed to hopefully sleep through the night. This time I was becoming more and more aware that I was in control and things I attempted to do in other dreams were easily attainable. But again, the dreams were the only “sleep” I got. Last night I cut back to 10mg of Melatonin. This time I was desperate to sleep. Again, right away, I was are I was awake. I would swallow when my mouth was dry, close my eyes tighter when light came into my room. And I wanted to get out of the dream but a voice (me I know now) said “You know if you leave this dream you’ll just be awake again.” I didn’t care. I didn’t believe it and I need real, old-fashioned sleep so I was outta there. Damn, I thought, I was right. So I went right back in and again a voice says, “You might as well just stay, at least it’s some form of sleep.” So I stay. I’m standing on a play stage thinking now what? And a voice says, “You’re the director. Pick your students.” This was the first time I really, really knew what was going on and I took the ball and ran! I had a blast. But I left the dream and though I was a nutjob. I googled “have you ever had multiple dreams where you were concsious and could control them?” The first hit was wikipedia’s “Lucid Dream”. I’d only heard of “Lucid Dream” in Vanilla Sky. So I test it right away and now I’m really loving it. The thing is I don’t want to lose it but now I’m functioning on very, very, very little sleep in the past 3 nights.

Can you get good, sound sleep in a lucid dream?
Can you pick and choose when you have them?
I’m 30. Why is this happening clear out of the blue?
Is this going to go away!? :sad:

Thanks for any help :smile:

Moved from General Lucidness. :dragon:

You probably created a mental picture that you can’t sleep after lucid dream… And possible reason why you couldn’t sleep was excitement… If you felt you heart rushing and if you had a feeling that it will pup out of your chest, then that was excitement…

Most lucid dreamers will tell you that they feel very energized and rested after lucid dream. And the same is with me…

Yes you can, if you’re experienced enough or if you are a natural lucid dreamer, although the fact is that we dream in REM sleep[even though some dreamers dreamt in NREM sleep which is very uncommon] and usually we need 90 - 120 minutes to enter REM sleep…

I don’t really know :grin: . Maybe you had some experience that triggered lucid dreams, maybe because of the movie Vanilla Sky or something else. [I had my first LD after watching movie What Dreams May Come]

If you mean not able to get some good sleep, then probably… You just need to learn how to calm down and how to process this experience… And if you think on lucid dreams, I don’t know… I mean why would you wont them to stop?!

Hope this helps, good luck! :content:

First off, thank you very much for your reply. Secondly, noooo! I meant I want them to stay. I guess I just have to learn how to use and harness them. I just tried to go lie down and have one. I tried having some specific dreams and gave up. Next thing I know I’m having another one and it answered about another tattoo I might be getting…

One other thing: Lucid Dreams is all I’m having lately. As soon as I come out of it I can’t fall back asleep. Then if I do try to I go into another one when I’m not even trying. Is there a way to just go to sleep after a while?

Anytime!

I’m glad! :grin:

If you have so frequent lucid dreams they you might be a natural lucid dreamer even though you didn’t know that! :happy:

If you have time I would suggest you to read Robert Waggoners book: Lucid dreaming: Gateway to the Inner Self…

It explains many questions…

Do you feel tired after lucid dream or not? If you mean just sleep without dreaming then the answer is no. We dream every time when we enter REM sleep, and it’s happening almost all night, the only difference between dreamers/lucid dreamers and those who don’t practice this is in remembering dreams, nothing else… The same thing happens to all of us every night.

So when you sleep you dream and when you dream you sleep. Because of that there shouldn’t be any problems… I would usually after LD feel more alive and I would have much more energy inside me…

I feel soooo exhausted right now! I slept probably three and a half hours total the last three nights. The dreams felt like they were 7, 8, 9 hours when in reality the longest one probably wasn’t even an hour.

I’m really hasn’t to type this 'cause this creeped me out so much but I swear I heard whispers, I swear I heard my name and now since I’ve realized what’s going on I seem to get instructions on how to start. Am I out of my mind?? :confused:

When entering or too better say reentering dreams we can experience SP, there are many topics about SP all things that came with it, like HI, HS, HH… SP is common thing, it paralyzes our body so we can’t act out of dream… But when entering SP we may have hallucinations, whether we hallucinate sounds, images or any other feelings… But you have to keep in your mind that this all is harmless, and it’s only happening in our mind…

I don’t believe that you are, you just need to start feel comfortable with this new experience… Take your time, and see where it goes…

To feel more comfortable with all this pick a goal, something you want to do while lucid. Because you can do whatever you want as long as you believe in it. Because controlling the dream is nothing more then expectation from WL. I you believe you can fly in a dream, you can… So plan your goal, visualize it when you’re laying in a bed and see yourself becoming lucid, and even though it seems that you are not having a trouble becoming lucid use mantra, for example: Tonight I’m going to dream, and I will fly…

And see if that helps… Good luck!

Thanks again for all the help.
I read the whole way through the guide and have two more questions…

If I try to have a Lucid Dream but I need to wake up in an hour should I set an alarm? I’m so anxious to try this.
Also, can you get into a Lucid accidentally? I know it says Wake Initiated but just wanted to be sure.

Actually you don’t, we have here one member by the name WritersCube and he “invented” the dream clock. Here’s his DJ and the topic about dream clock. I will put his post in this spoiler:

[spoiler]I created the idea of making and using my Dream Clock out of mainly from the challenge of wanting to do great things over the course of a single night’s LD rather than having to make multiple revisits to that same dreamscape. Of course this was before I came to realize how I start to miss things when I’m gone for too long, which is why I only now use my Dream Clock when I really feel like taking a dream vacation droom

As for how it works, it works by keeping track of two different sets of time. How much real time I wish to spend dreaming, and how much dream time I wish to spend within that frame of real time.

For example–I wish to spend a week in a dreamscape, say the dreamscape of Tech, to jam to music for seven days straight. I’m going to go to bed and I wish to sleep for just a normal seven hours.
I key into my DreamClock:

[168 Hours Dream Time]
[7 Hours Real Time]

Upon doing that, I then press the simple green Start Button and off I go. Of course, this doesn’t necessarily have to be done on some dream object–my Dream Clock can be used through the simple use of a Heads-Up Display.

Heck you can even put the Dream Clock on a singing fish, and it’ll work all the same.[/spoiler]

So the idea of dream clock is to track real time within the dream, it sound amazing and the more amazing thing is that you can actually do that, I’ve never tried but I’m sure that I will some day…

I don’t quite understand your question. Can you be more specific? Wake Initiated Lucid Dreams stands for the technique, where you make a transition between real world and dream world consciously…

Okay, I actually had a WILD this morning after I initially woke up. I hadn’t read the guide here but it ‘worked’. I just kept thinking about one thing I wanted and it didn’t work. I moved on to my next idea for a dream. Didn’t work. I look up and slam my head into my pillow with disgust. The next thing I know there are five guys I used to be friends with in my room and they all have a little piece of a tattoo I plan on getting. Now this couldn’t have been any further than what I was attempting for but I suppose it was something.

As I’m reading the page after page after page of the WILD thread of people not being successful it makes me really suspicious as to why the first three nights I had these I was not attempting to. As I stated I didn’t even know they existed. And I was terrified of the HI. I’m not a fan of the things that go bump in the night and distorted images in a giant, shaky mirror. So I didn’t even know what that was before finding this page this morning. I just thought it was the start of a terrifying nightmare. I think I achieved these WILDs because I was desperate to get to sleep and I was counting each breath I took.

So I just attempted my first intentional WILD. I don’t ever know how I’ll be able to stay calm knowing the terrified HI is coming. Yes, I’m a wuss. Anyway, I give up after a while but I do my “test” anyway. I press a button on my phone and it read 3:16. A few seconds later it quickly changes to 3:21. My heart never thudded so loud but I think that might’ve been a near-miss.

I don’t know how crazy I am of trying for these in the future. If I notice a HI accidentally I’ll try to take advantage of it and do my tests but for now that’s it.

HI can be fun, but remember, with WILD our goal is to enter dream, that means to let those HI to form into a dream, and we achieve that buy passively observing them and not focusing on them too much…

Again, HI’s might be fun when you know what an HI or an LD is. I’d never heard of either and experienced and HI about 6 times in two nights and I’ve had to buy a whole new set of boxers. And bed sheets. It wasn’t til the third morning that I googled, “Anyone ever have multiple dreams where you are conscious and controling them?” until I finally got the very, very basics.

Maybe I just need time…