A New Induction Method.. Please tell me what you think...

Hi All,
I have been very regularly trying to induce lucid dreaming pretty much every night since early this year. I have so far had 2 real lucid dreams, both in the same month, and I am trying to, well, have more! My two lucid dreams happened back in May, and my regular night process goes as follows: I try to do regular RC’s during the day (I have a reminder on my phone), I always set my alarm for after 5 or 6 hours of sleep, and once awake, I stay in bed and then fall back asleep doing some MILD. I don’t do the whole getting up for an hour thing, or I find it really difficult to fall back asleep which then keeps my mind off doing MILD.

However, I have been doing some research and I really would like to know what you guys think of this… In Stephen La Berge’s book, Exploring the World of Lucid Dreaming, he mentions something called the ‘Critcal Faculty’. This is part of your left brain hemisphere and it is responsible for critical thought. Its what essentially helps determine whether something is of external or internal origin, and is responsible for not accepting every piece of advertising slogan you come across. When people dream, the Critical Faculty is normally absent (when you’re asleep), which is why you take your dreams to be real. Anyone, that has ever become Lucid in a dream, it is ultimately because your Critical Faculty has suddenly kicked in and helped you determine that you are in fact dreaming. Doing RC’s helps to influence your Critical Faculty so that you do the same when you are dreaming, ultimately calling it back into working for you when you are asleep.

However, RC’s has not yet worked for me, so what I am doing instead, when I wake up after 5 or 6 hours of sleep, is I play a little game of Sudoku or Chess on my ipod to get the left brain hemisphere going. My goal is that it will awaken my Critical Faculty right before I go into the dream sleep.

I have just started do this induction method, and will let you know how I get on. But please tell me what you think… All advice and thoughts are most welcome!

PS. Sorry for the long post :wink:

you’re not the first one with this idea :smile: a month ago or so there have been several posts of people trying to do maths in the middle of the night to make the PFC turn on and make you lucid. in fact, i myself have tried doing sudoku or rubik’s cube at night :lol: for that same reason. didn’t really work for me, since i had trouble going back to sleep. but people are different, so i really hope it works out for you :smile:

Thank you, Avalinah, I thought I had stumbled across a break through!

The more research I do on Lucid Dreaming, the more I find the following is true: that unfortunately there is no ‘one size fits all’. What I am trying to do at this stage is just get a regular routine in place, and just see how many lucid dreams I can pick up in due course. I think that’s really the only way to do it…

What do you think? Do you have any advice?

Thanks, again!

Interesting method. I haven’t heard of it before, so let me know of the results. I love playing Sudoku, Chess, Rubik’s cube etc. so I would love this technique if it actually induces lucid dreams :happy:

You could post this on the lab section. I would definitly volunteer.