An Insomniacs Burden

One of my main problems when I attempt WILD or MILD or anything that requires concentration/visualization for that matter, is I can never seem to fall asleep. I lie there in bed for 30 minutes waiting for sleep to come while doing the induction technique but it never does come! Any tips? :help:

30 minutes? That’s not bad at all. Certainly not enough to merit the term “insomniac.” Sure, some people can fall asleep in 10 minutes, but you and I are not of that breed. It stinks sometimes, but you’ve got to work with what you’ve got.

I’ve never had much of any success with WILD, but I can tell you from my MILD experiences that you have to find the sweet spot between mildly tired and completely exhausted. Once you do that, falling asleep relatively quickly while maintaining attention on the technique isn’t all that hard. It’s achieving that state that can be a little tricky–you’ll have to experiment around with waking up at different times. Remember that both of these techniques are far more effective when practiced in the early hours of the morning. Wake up at 4 or 5 or whenever’s convenient and try them. You should have an easier time falling asleep.

Good luck!

do you try relaxation techniques maximum relaxation is required to do wild

I think you’re giving up too quickly if you decide you won’t fall asleep after just 30 minutes. When I wake up and get out of bed for a few minutes to perform WILD or MILD, it usually takes me 30 minutes to 2 hours to fall asleep. Some people can fall asleep quickly and some people take a bit longer. It’s rather depressing, I know.

But you can turn this to your advantage, at least in the case of MILD. As LaBerge says in EWLD, the longer you’re awake, the more time you’ll have to repeat your intention to have a lucid dream. In my case, lucid dreams are more likely to occur if I spend 1-2 hours falling asleep while performing MILD.

Still, this generally isn’t a desirable condition, so here are some things that help me: First, your room should be comfortably cool. Second, block more light from coming through your windows if your room isn’t already sufficiently dark. Third, wake up early enough that you will be tired. Finally, as you’re falling asleep don’t think to yourself, “Man, I’ve been lying here for half an hour and I’m not falling asleep. It’s hopeless. I’m already awake!” Just relax and focus on your intention to lucid dream, or think about what you would like to do in your lucid dream.