Big "SP as a gateway to WILD" topic

Really?? Wow, that sounds hard-core :smile:
I was wondering, if you can’t move, can you at least scream at this stage? Or if your eyes are open, do you look terrified? I am worried that if I have such an episode and open my eyes, my boyfriend might get even more scared than me :grin: :grin: :grin:

So, does anyone know what a person looks like in SP?

Yes, I think that when somebody experiences SP, and if they have their eyes open, it might look scary on the outside. I read something on the internet that said that a grandma experienced SP and her daughter and granddaughter could hear her voice (she was moaning and screaming feebly).

Once, I had a SP, and I was so much frightened that I had both my eyes and my mouth wide open. And I could have sworn they were open in real life. Imagine a paralysed body with a face like that, I must be quite scary on the outside.

I was wondering if sleep paralysis with hypnagogic hallucinations are a form of ld. I have had these for years in fact I will always have one if I fall asleep on my back. I have had obe for a short instance on these and have tried to somehow control what I was viewing in this dreamlike state. but it always goes haywire and I end up causing something bad to happen or seeing something really frightening. I am hoping that I can learn some techniques to help me because I have had these several times a month for the past fifteen years.

Wussy me tries to pull the covers over my head when experiencing SP. It never really happens. Well, ONE time my forearms functioned just enough to pull the seemingly 10-ton covers up a few inches. Pathetic. :razz:

I definitely wake up into sleep paralysis every now and then, and it isn’t exactly comfortable. However, I have not experienced any of these vibrations commonly described as part of SP. In fact, I’m usually perfectly conscious when this happens, though frustrated at my lack of mobility. Any advice on channeling this into an LD?

Yes, try exiting your body :

• Roll out of your bed,
  • Imagine a rope above you, and pull your way out of your body,
  • Stay there and imagine a landscape, imagine doing something involving MOST of your 5 senses (riding bike,…).

The first one is incredibly hard, but with time, it shall be OK.

I suffered from some pretty terrible SP for a long time, and some of that time included when I lived with someone else. Almost all of them witnessed me going through HSP at some point, often with my eyes open. They’ve told me that they can hear me gasping, sometimes just barely gasping their names for help (I also have been known to talk in my sleep… not sure if this is related), but otherwise looking terrified.

Fortunately the nice thing about having someone else in the bed with you (at least for me) is that if you are having bad HSP and your partner happens to be awake, their concerned touch can cause you to immediately wake up. Not so good for LD, but good for breaking out of bad SP.

I had my second experience with SP last night. Again, I tried to achieve it when I went to bed without success, and went on when I woke up in the night. The vibrations started, but this time I was prepared! I watched them passivley, and I managed to hold the feeling for a longer time (for about 1 minute).

As with my eyes closed everything was just black, I followed SRV73s advice and opened my eyes a little bit. How cool was that! I could see a flickering deck of cards right in front of me. I closed my eyes again and suddenly found myself standing in a room next to my bedroom. I got excited because I knew I had to be dreaming, so I counted the fingers at my right hand. BUT WHAT THE F***?!?!?! Although they looked a little bit strange, I only saw five fingers! I was confused, and suddenly I found myself lying in the bed being awake for real this time. Couldn’t find sleep for an hour then.

An RC in dream that shows me I’m awake? Am I kidding myself? I don’t know if I forgot to expect dream results, but that has to be the explanation. Next time I will try different RCs and focus on expecting them to be negative…

Nevertheless, I am pretty lucky today, because I got the feeling I took the next step in my quest for lucidity. Just one strange thing: this whole experience last night NOW feels surreal, almost like it was just a dream. After my first SP I had a clearer memory of the incident.

Congrats for your second SP!!!
I think that you weren’t in a dream at this stage (I may be wrong), that’s why the RC didn’t work.
Next time, try to visualize a dreamscape or imagine doing things you would do in a dream (fly, jump high, etc,…). Afterwards, try a RC.

Wow. I thought I was going loco until I read this thread.
I had all that while trying to WILD and eventually got woken up by an involuntary movement in my leg.
Darn legs.

i only ever get SP in the mornings that i sleep in, after ive woken up and sort of doze in and out of sleep. Ive never experienced the vibrating feeling that is commonly described to accompany SP but i have had a few episodes involving HI and it was VERY frightening! :bored:
I tend to get very frightened and struggle to try and break out of it whenever it happens but a couple of nights ago i had it and instead of fighting i just sort of gave up and relaxed and I went straight into a lucid dream! :twirl:
It helped a great deal that there was no HI that time though.

I had SP a few nights ago when I was trying to WILD. I’ve done WILD before, but only when I was extremely tired. This time the SP for a long time, and it was pretty intense, but since I wasn’t very tired it just stopped abruptly and I couldn’t get back into it.

It seems like I’ve lost the knack for jumping from an SP into WILD. I have SP very very frequently, and lately it almost seems like narcolepsy at times as I’ll be awake and aware lying in bed in the morning suddenly find myself unable to move. Anyway. I manage most of the time to remain calm throughout, but eventually I just peacefully wake up and regain my ability to move. I no longer slip deeper and deeper and closer to WILD like I used to. What’s the trick to going back to “sleep” instead of waking up out of it?

I had sp happen to me 2 times in the past where I was laying on my back all alone late moring with no one home. woke up be could not move. I was trying to move but notting. I could see and look around but that was it. I could look down and see my hands laying on chest. I was trying to lift and lift them but notting. Then all of a soden I got them up and was waving them around. Now this is the cool part. As I was waving them I couldn’t see them. They were still laying on my chest. I was moveing them and truning them around right in front of my face, but they were invisable. Two times that happen to me. I think they were my dream hands and my real ones were asleep on my chest.

K, so! I had SP 6 times last night, and more, I just don’t know how much more. I remember 6 different episodes though. It was a pretty crazy night. Despite all that I feel quite rested today, which is unusual cos usually it wears me out. Despite 6, I didn’t end up with a single lucid dream. How do you go from SP to LD? I used to be able to do it (a few times anyway), but I can’t seem to anymore. Everything was there; the floating sensations, the sounds… I remember feeling like I was in some really whacky positions. I tried the whole “roll out” thing but it felt like I was just in molasses and couldn’t move much at all. If someone could help me go from SP to WILD, I’d worship you forever.

Luckily for me, when I go through SP, I don’t get any vibrations or anything like that. I don’t even get numb. I just feel like my arms and legs aren’t listening to my commands when I tell them to move unless I try really hard to. by really I mean like, it feels as if my whole body is in a really thick liquid and it wont budge at all. but when I do get my arm out of it, I can move it normally again. its hard to describe…

Ok I just took a nap and I’m not sure if I was close to SP or not.

Duration: 30 minutes

I got in bed and got into a comfortable position. At first I tried doing FILD, but it didn’t work. Next I tried VILD and got tired of repeating it. Next I just kept still and during that time I could feel my hands, arms, feet, legs getting heavier (mostly my right hand). Occasionally I get this surge throughout my torso it was kinda of a fuzzy feeling to it or something, its hard to describe. It only went halfway and it seems as if its trying to cover my whole body but it can’t. It first started going down slow and after a few surges I got up. It just did one surge and a few minutes passed then another one few minutes passed then another surge. What was this surge I was experiencing?

I’ve had about 2 SP wakeups, but I never used them as a gateway to LD. What a shame.

But now I have some major problems with SP. I don’t even know what it is anymore. I’ve been so close to hit SP, but no.

Here’s an example for what’s been happening.
I take a evening nap, I’m somewhat tired already. I lay on a bed, comfortable position. I wait for my body to get all relaxed, concrentating my thoughts on something simple but not too boring.

Then I get this weird feeling, like my body warms up a bit and some weird surge of energy boosts up. It only lasts for a second or so, but from that I know that SP is going to come.

I start counting: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 and so on really quickly. The speed of my heartrate goes really high, like it’s exploding from my chest. My body starts shaking really badly. Blood rushing to my head. When I’m at 100 it gets really tuff to count. It’s like. one… hundred and… one… One hundred and-… two.

But is this SP? I have always thougth about that after this event,
I will get SP, but I’m not really sure anymore. Is this “shaking” feeling the vibrations?

I also heard a really loud and high beep noise for half a second yesterday when I tried. It was just at the extend of my heart blowing up. :razz: (Well, not really. But I would describe it that way.)

On my first attempt I got this massive energy and numb feeling to my hand. I first thought that was SP. But now I’m really clueless.

And when I wake up at nights I don’t really notice anything differen.

So yeah. Hope somebody could clarify.

That sounds a lot like my first SP experience (which just happens to be on the first page of this thread!). Numb, warm feeling, then serious shaking, accompanied by an off-the-scale heart rate and high-pitched auditory hallucinations. Fun, huh?

I’d say it was most definitely SP. Many people get those shaking vibrations both of us have experienced, and that’s usually what tips you off that you’ve entered SP. All of those hallucinations kinda feel like warning signals to your mind that you’re entering SP, kinda like your subconscious is saying, “Hey, you’re not supposed to be awake!” That’s the way I like to think about it.

And no, a “numb” feeling IS NOT SP. That’s just your muscles relaxing because you’ve been lying in the same position for awhile. Unless you start getting really strong hallucinations or you know you can’t move, it’s not SP.

Thanks for the clarification.

I got mislead on my first attempt. First I relaxed my body, and my muscles went numb. I knew that was not SP, but suddenly I felt much much larger feeling on my hand. Like some huge numb feeling like it wouldnt even exists. That led me to another thoughts about SP I think.

I got also mislead by all written text on OBE info pages. I remember reading that SP usually starts from your feet, and then goes larger and larger. (Or was it something other?) The feeling I get starts small and goes high but it remains in my whole body, not just a bodypart.

But I can’t believe how easily I can enter SP now. I feel so enlightened! Thanks! :razz: