Can animals have Lucid dreams?

well can they? i have a felling one group of people are gogin to flame me saying “of cource they cant, what are you thinking” and the other group saying “of cource they can, what are you thinking”

well can they or cant they?

discuss

Animals can’t tell us, so we can never know.

i dont htink animals are smart enough to understand wht dreams are therefore they could not recognize when they are having one

According to my dog, he had two LDs last night, but he has been known to lie before. Personally, I don’t believe him. :neutral:

I’m not sure you’d be able to get the feedback you needed to see if they were lucid or not. If they did it would be on raw sense and luck i think, since they aren’t knowledgable on dreams in the way humans are. Like for example a tiger might dream about the territory he prowls and may notice differences in his territory in dreams and after this happening for a real long time he may have a spontaneous ld but nothing hes going to remember or continue to practice. So i think its possible on the level of stumbling across and forgetting.

Referencing “The Lucid Dreamer” by Malcolm Godwin (I just happen to be reading it).

Somewhere between 150 and 100 million years ago mammals evolved to include REM sleep. This allowed mammals to have relatively small brain sizes to facilitate passing through the birthing canal and still retain the survival skills, location of food … in memory. The day’s memories would be optimized during the sleeping period.

This is all theoretical, as science hasn’t really given a definitive answer to why we sleep, just a lot of theories.

I think it’s entirely possible for mammals to have LD’s.

I think some animals can, but most can’t.

I think dogs can especially mine! When it goes to sleep on the floor sometimes she makes weird noises and her eyes go mad!

P.S she hasnt got anything wrong with her before you ask. :smile:

I would think that anything that can dream can have some level of lucidity. As stated earlier, this would be plain luck. (Unless some one can train their dog to do MILD, it’d be kinda difficult though)

I doubt animals would have the mental capacity to know they are ‘dreaming’, maybe they could still ‘control’ their dream without realizing it, but would think they are controlling a bizarre reality. Also, maybe animals only have one mode of reality perception. I’m sure animals dream.

Now i think about it, even though dogs are quite intelligent the ability to recognise they are dreaming would be difficult as even i find it hard. Maybe dolphins though? They are supposed to be intelligent animals … or so i heard :happy:

no

Congratulations - you’re dog has REM sleep (just like all other dogs) :wink:.

This isn’t evidence for LD’ing - it just shows that your dog does indeed dream (presumably ND’s).

I don’t think we can ever know. Maybe some animals might have an LD by luck, but I don’t think they really think it’s anything special or desirable.

But even if they could LD, they would be able to tell us… (unless it’s one of those chimps scientist try to communicate with). :tongue:

Well Stephan Laberge has theorized that animals(including humans)have evolved trates which make recalling dreams difficult, for survival purposes (he writes about this in his newest book). So even if an animal had a lucid dream, it might not even remember it.
I also think that if it is possible, its probably limited to more intelligent animals, like whales, the primates, elephants, etc.

Animals do dream, anyone who has a pet - particularly a dog will understand what i mean when I say I’ve seen my dog dream.

Animals have a higher perception than humans so it may be reasonable to assume that when they dream they know the difference instinctually from dreams to waking reality, in essence they could always be lucid.

Whether they could remember them on waking who knows, but it doesn’t really matter whether they can or not. They still won’t tell us about them :wink:

well i rekon its very possible, id say people who have never heard the owrkd “lucid dream” will have at least three in there life so the same applysto animals, and anyway what you was saying abut the surrounds, i become lucid most when everythig seems as near as possible but i think to myself “i shouldnt be here at this exact moment and become lucid”

i’d say prob chimps or doplphins lol , i sure my bro is a chimp and dreams is that close enough?

what makes u sure that they even dream?

Observation and comparison between humans and other animals, ofcourse :smile: