Can’t stay in Lucid Dream

Hello everyone,

a couple years ago I had my first lucid dream, I felt so lucky after trying for many times. I remember i controlled some of it but i woke myself out of excitement. It felt really dissapointing because i knew i had to be careful with excitement, i learned to control this by just looking at my hands…

After all this time i was focussing on remembering my dreams and i created an sort of ‘realise trick’ to become lucid. I force myself to look at my hand and count my fingers in real life and I try to breathe through my nose when i sqeeze it. This works for me, but there is one problem.

Most nights, i become lucid, often because when i think im sleeping, i sqeeze my nose and suddenly i can breath. then i realize im lucid. But every single time when i do that, i just wake up… the exciment its gives me and it sort of gets me by suprise, followed by, just waking up.

do i need to change something and how can I control my emotions more after realizing i am lucid? pls help.

Hello @Flex2 :wave:

Excitement is a very common theme for beginners. But from your description it sounds like you’re not a beginner anymore actually, plus it doesn’t have to be that way for beginners in the first place.

To support you I would like to ask 2 questions. First of all, when do you attain lucidity in the night and when in the dream (beginning, middle, very late)? And the second question, what is your motivation for lucid dreaming? What did you set out to do once you reach lucidity?

I’m asking because I often wake up pretty quickly from an LD simply because the dream is almost over anyway, maybe your situation is the same. And as for the second point, I think a clear plan on what you want to do might help you to channel your excitement into action and awareness of the dream.

Thanks for replying @Marvin!

It feels like i’m prettig much Lucid after falling asleep maybe this sounds logic but I can’t really remember but it is probably in the beginning.
Side note is that I can’t really tell I have “normal” Dreams. I become lucid as soon as I fall asleep (from what I think)
And every LD that I have, starts from my bed. So its reality checking - realizing im Lucid (in bed) - gets excited- awake

Why I started Lucid Dreaming is mostly because my very first sort of Lucid dream came by accident, and I felt pretty well rested after waking up. After finding more benefits of LD I became very interested, mostly because I always struggled with insomnia. When I went through my first longer LD’s I noticed I was getting better sleep and I felt more creative and more relaxt in real life. And in the end Lucid Dreaming is really interesting and i feel like I just discovered like 10% of it.

Hm, that is quite interesting. I have no experience with a situation like yours. Maybe you’re not really properly asleep or something so you’re sleep is lighter and you wake up more easily. In that case something like MILD may help to get lucid a little later in the dream. But that’s a rather flimsy idea. You can also try some meditation before going to bed to balance your emotions a bit better and prepare yourself to focus on the dream rather than your excitement once you get lucid. In general meditation is pretty beneficial for dreaming :laughing: