Character Assisted Lucid Dreaming...CALD part V

I certainly have friends whose characters I know well-- But I don’t get to see them in my dreams-- not yet at least.

In any case, it’d be fun C:

Well it started when I’m 9, I was bored so I created my first guardian character to sorta protect me from nightmare so that’s how Desmond was created~ he got stuck in my head and soon I’ve created his beloved family which consist of : Tina (Des’s wife), Selina (Eldest daughter), Marlie & Dylan (twins), Dean (1 yr old plus toddler~) and the latest addition to the family little baby Hollie~ XD

After interacting with him for awhile I decided to drop the story idea and just develope him this way~ soon I created Guardian the robot doggy to join in the family and guardian clan. Followed by Thunzar…we argued almost every single night over trivial stuffs :shy: Now his milder and more…gentlemanly thanks to Desmond~ The latest guardian is Spirit~ the wolf with a crescent moon on his forehead~~
Let see…I have about 10 characters? Of 4 which I interact with the most XD

Haha I started when I was 9 too ^^ What a productive year!

It sounds an interesting way for all of your characters to get started C: I’m glad you did. They certainly seem like positive influences to me!

~

I created Morph and Saichania, my first two MC’s, a little over two years ago from some preexisting characters in a dropped fanfic of mine I’d come up with when I was about 15-16. (now being used in an entirely different original story) A little later I created Aiden from a blank slate, and several months later, Crysar. The roster stayed pretty static after that for the next year and a half, until a few months ago when Vesper and Skaith came into being.

I’ve dreamed of a friend’s characters before, although I’d honestly have been more surprised to never have seen his creations leak into my dreams. His stuff is all just well done. Myelin calls it “made of carrots”, but I’m not sure what that means. Maybe he likes carrots.

Dreams involving his characters tend to be pretty violent though, which is odd considering how cartoony they are. I mean like Hanna-Barbera cartoony.
The first characters that I started developing like this came when I was nine also. Just before turned ten, I realize now that I’m looking back on some old drawings. (I also notice that I had terrible grammar back then) It’s weird thinking about the sheer amount of time that has passed since then, it really doesn’t seem that long ago. I still haven’t dropped their story though, it’s become way too much a part of them for me to do that now.

Coolness, it seems most people started with a story… But a lot of people in the past have started their chars like I did C: As an aspect of ourselves.

I wonder where we’re all headed from here? One’s gotta wonder where we’ll all be in a few years…

I just read part 1 of this, and your ideas are pure crazy and pure genius! Seriously, just by reading your posts, I assume that you are one very creative person. Also, when I was young, like about 5 or 6, before I knew anything about the basics of dreaming and lucid dreaming, I had this amazing urge to dream every night. And through that urge, I created two characters, Mr. Salt and Mrs. Pepper, (LOL!, pathetic but true) and every night I begged them to help me dream about various subjects that aroused my mind at the time. Like, If I saw a TV episode I liked, I would ask Mr. Salt and Mrs. Pepper to help me dream about it. Although my characters are not nearly as in-depth as yours, your story has sort of inspired me to try to recreate these characters I had as a kid and try to help me lucid dream and etc. Thanks a tons

Okay, so I’m a bit lost, I’ve never heard of a CALD before. Let me see if I’m right, is a CALD simply where you create a DC in you’re mind and attempt to meet them in a LD or tell yourself to dream about a character you made so you can become lucid? Or something like that?

A dream with Thunzar in it~ which after thinking back is kinda cheesy and whats with that romantic hug he gave me at the end of my dream before I woke up?!

I’ve posted the dream in the CALD dream journal but I’ll just copy and paste here so you don’t have to hop over there :razz:

I was standing at a city square kinda place with tall shopping malls surrounding the square glancing around till I notice a biiiiig crowd of school girls and guys crowding in a circle over something. Somehow I found myself moving towards the crowd to get a better look and somehow(again) I managed to squeeze past those girls who were whispering away. I saw those filming equipments at a side all set up with workers
being busy walking around touching those equipments and the director just standing there looking at the two what seems to be actor and actress in the middle who were busy chatting away with their back facing me. The guy turned over to face the actress as though their preparing for something. The director shouted “Action!” and the actor immediately flung his arms around the actress and held her tightly with a ‘very-hard-to-describe-sad-heartbroken’ expression before continuing with a very cheesy line something about don’t go and that he loves her thing. Just as he spoke those words the workers use those sprinklers and created that ‘out-of-no-where-shower-effect’ . After witnessing all this …something struck me…that actor guy is none other than Thunzar (slaps self for not realising sooner) just as I was about to lucid…my dream jumped to some toy kingdom exploring thingy… then my dream jumped back to the same place but this time Thunzar looked at me and smiled pulling me into the center of the crowd and hugged me…which of course made me lucid aaaand before I can react…I woke up…

It really was a waste! I could have lucided … :cry:
It’s strange that dreams with my character(s) in it are always quite clear and vivid O.O

It’s kinda cool watching him doing his jobs in the dream world…now to wait till a chance I can actually hear him sing…hehehehe…

Carzlebub: Aww, wow… That’s so great! ^^ And I’m rather flattered…I’m glad that CALD has inspired you, and I wish you the best with your characters. C:

When you’re comfortable, please pop by and introduce them! :slight_smile:

Best of luck and happy lucids!

Biodreamer: It’s understandable that you haven’t heard of CALD, it’s certainly not main-stream, and it’s fairly new (2? 3 years?). But essentially, yes, it’s how you describe it to be. But the character doesn’t need to be a dream character, and you don’t have to meet up with them in a dream for this to work.
The basic steps are as follows:

1. Create a/some character(s)
  2. Develop your character(s) to a point where they can interact without being puppet-like
  3. Near bed-time discuss topics concerning Lucidity, or possibly ask the character to induce lucidity in you during a dream.

Also, characters can be helpful with remembering things like reality checks throughout the day, and with many, helpful in waking without alarm clocks.

C: Essentially, this CALD is a character development technique(perhaps similar to MILD in the way it works internally, and WILD if used in that way), with lots of applications, though here it centers on becoming lucid.
You make a character, and off you go! That’s about it. There are a variety of places you can get inspiration for your character from, and several ways of developing them–
Here, development techniques range from getting a general feel, and allowing them to grow from that, to talking with them, to allowing new characters to chat in the character chats.

I have a few helpful links for CALD in my signature if you ever need a place to look for them, and I’m always happy to answer questions that come up! ^^

C: May I help you with anything else?

Melody: Wow ^^ I’m jealous, it seems you have lots of nice… romantic dreams with your characters! ^^ And they’re so handsome, too. I remember when I was still 12, I would have loved to have a cute dream with most of my male characters…And now they’ve all changed, and there’s only two left I’d even be comfortable hugging, let alone a cutesy dream :C.
Lucky Lucky Melody… :wink:

@ Talon:

It’s kind of a scary thing to think about, even hypothetically. I don’t want to somehow “grow out” of this like it’s some kind of phase…

You’d think that nine years (seriously?! man, time flies!) would be long enough to dispel that sort of concern, and maybe it’s thanks to all the paranoid hyper-practicality that I’m surrounded by every day, but it nags at me and I feel like it would be dangerous to just brush that feeling off as if it didn’t exist. Weird emotional problems have a way of sneaking up on people who don’t keep their eyes peeled in my experience.

I guess the only thing we can do is keep doing what we’re doing. We enjoy it, and as far as I’ve read, every one of us has benefited from it in one way or another, regardless of how we decide to look at it or how long we’ve been at it. Plus we have each other. We’re not just a few people strewn randomly across the world all alone in our eccentricity, we’ve actually turned ourselves into a tiny community, and I’d be lying if I said my worries weren’t overshadowed by inspiration. There’s not much I can say to that, so I’ll just rip a quote from my first post here…Thanks for existing.

((ALSO sorry if the sappiness bugs anybody, but like I also said in my first post: When I do drama, I tend to take it overboard!))

-=-

EDIT:
You sure seem to get some nice dreams involving your characters, Melody. Honestly I’m feeling a little jealous right now too, seeing as the CALD-related dream I remember best involved Lairuna herding me and a crowd of people at gunpoint into a bathroom stall XD
Seriously though, congratulations on being so close with your characters. Here’s hoping that keeps up for a long time to come!

Thanks so much for your help Talon Arana :content: It really makes since now. I’m going to make my own characters and once I have one made pretty well I’ll tell you guys about him/her, and I don’t need help with anything else atm but thanks :smile:

Phi:
:slight_smile: I totally understand where you’re coming from, and it certainly can be a frightening thought to allow something… so integral, so important in our lives to slip away. But I promise that anything we really need, either stays put, or comes back as necessary. But it’s good you’re looking at it in a healthy way: you’re not just brushing it off.

Also, what you’ve said about us as a little community is both charming and re-assuring. Certainly, I’d hope that this little community of our will always be here to provide support and guidance to those who may need it.

In any case, what you’ve said certainly solidifies my commitment to CALD and it’s users C: Thanks for this.

Biodreamer: I’m so glad you’ve taken some good from this C: I’m very happy for you, and I wish you both all the luck in the world.
^^; Don’t thank me, you’ve done all the research yourself! I’m just glad you’ve gotten what you need from it! C:
Thanks for you update! C: Hoping to hear from you soon.

Happy lucids everyone!
~Tal

Wow hey guys. I never knew that this kind of thing existed to such an extent with other people. I have had “characters” for many years and never shared with anyone because I thought it was an oddity. :razz: My first was created a good 10 years ago (give or take). Though we don’t chat very much anymore he was a funny creation and interesting to talk to when I was younger. My second sort of created herself about two years ago. I was doodling and she kind of popped out so I gave her a name and re-enforced what she looked like. Since then she has changed quite a bit and has been developed into a good friend. We have recently been trying to use this to bring about lucidity but it hasn’t worked yet. She isn’t really the most patient person (used in the general sense, she isn’t actually human), heh not even close really, but she likes to double as a stronger version of my conscious and is actually very good at pointing me down the right direction when I need help from someone who isn’t being influenced by events around me.
However stupid or oxymoron this may sound to some of you, it is one of those odd things in my life that seem to work when you know it shouldn’t. I certainly don’t go to her for help as a substitute from talking/befriending/asking for help from real people (This is one of the reasons I never share this, 'cause I don’t want people to think that) because I know she was created from my own head, but you could say she carries much of the logical side of my thinking.

Yeah, getting carried away. XD But as Phi somewhat mentioned on the first page, it is nice to talk about this with other people in the same boat. (Or more likely in my case, a few boats down, but still close enough. :wink: )

Anyway, I am glad other people have created characters as well, it is a relief to hear and is motivational boost for me to be more devoted on trying CALDs!

P.S. Yeah, posting in a topic almost a month old, but heck, this topic should be more alive than it is. :tongue:

Talon Arana:
I’ve never thought that I would get to see him doing his other job in the
other realm or what they refer as the ‘Fantasy Realm’ lol so yep it’s kinda cool and I woke up feeling all sweet inside and that smile of his… sigh…I’m melting~ X3

Phi:
Thanks Phi~ lol that must dream of yours with Lairuna in it sounds interesting :content:

Xzontar:
Hehe I am in the same boat as you before I found this thread, I kept them to myself because I find it odd as well but now I’m happy that I’ve found a group of people with wonderful characters to talk to and a place where we don’t have to hide anything :content:

Xzontar: Thanks much for coming to chat C: It’s great to hear! And as I’m learning… it seems characters are a remarkably common thing. I’ll have to start asking around… But so far, about half of the people I know have had characters at one point or another, and a surprising amount still dedicate energy into their characters.

Hoping that you’ll have a great may enjoyable days to come with them, thanks so much for sharing! Also, many apologies for the late reply!

Melody: Sorry also for the late reply ^^; You’re definitely one of the luckier CALD users I know C: You get many swoon worthy moments! Remember that! ^^ C:

I am just interested who had success with this tech? Anyone got good results out of it?

Hey Phantasos C:

One of the people that stand out in my memory who had a good amount of success was TribeMaker (though I never see him around here anymore).
I personally have had a few dreams come out of CALD, though mostly I just DILD ^^;

I good number of people who want it usually have really interesting/vivid character sightings/ interactions.

As for good results? When it comes to dreams, I personally have had some of my most vivid lucids come from CALD-induction.
Otherwise, I have a more interesting life with developed characters and it sort of made me more aware of characters in media-- enough to appreciate the minute details (Ex. the recent Avatar movie has remarkable reality to it’s characters. It really remarkable at times.)

Hopefully more people can come around for replies a bit after the holiday season passes? I hope you had a good one.

Happy lucids! Happy holidays!
~Tal

Thanks for tip, I’ve read parts of previous CALD’s threads and it is quite interesting. I’ve sensed quite a potential in CALD because what can be better than a DC helping you to get lucid? The problem is that current CALD approach does not appeal to me due to its … how do I say this in English? nonLDgoalorientedness :smile:. I see benefits of the idea but current approach is not strictly LD-oriented. So the reply I may have will be about slightly another approach to character-creation as personally I am not really ready to invest too much time of WL into it.

Basicly, what I’ve decided to is to apply Servitor creation tech from Chaos Magic to CALD. I.e. what I want is DC which goal is to help me get lucid in dreams and to help me WILD at nights. We have signed a contract yesterday, although it seems she have started to act several days before.

Aah, thanks. And Happy New Year to you too.

Today I had two (pseudo)WILDs - not sure did I really woke up when tried to DEILD. Before that it was a dream where I was in class, and there were two Asian girls among students, which is the sign of servitor.

Here are some details. I’ve had this idea about DC who will be helping me with LDing for a some months, so when I read about servitor’s creation, I’ve knew most of information about her: she is an Asian girl, probably Japanese, about seventeen-eighteen years.

Next step was choose name. I’ve used divination (Tarot cards) to get information about issues when I was unsure, so in the end I’ve chosen name Yumi which is close to Japanese word yume (dream), and it is pretty :content:.

Then I’ve written contract where all conditions of our partnership were described as it is recommended for servitors’ creation. Main part was about what her duties are, and what and when she gets in return (“energy” when I get lucid and while I stay lucid).

When all the contract’s details, I’ve made a programming symbol, and performed a ritual similar to sigil charging.

But it must be said, as the idea was already boiling for a few months in my head, I’ve seen Yumi’s signes even prior to contract’s signing :smile:.