Coma and LDing

do u think you could wake them up with binuaral beats, lol.
Also I hav had surgery about 5x (And im only 14), I have dreamed through every one i think. I always get very scared wen going under, i think its cus im cluastrophobic and its kinda to do with losing control, one way I found to overcome my fear was to kind of ‘go with the unconsciousness’, its bvery hard to explain, I suppose i tried to stay conscious in a way, Anastetics wou;d be a very effective way of LDing. Although I wouldnt try to hard, I have heard many times about ppl who have woken up in sleep paralysis (not through LDing) whilst having surgery, and let me tell u that would be scary, appaerently you can feel them doing the surgery (although you still cant feel pain). Not nice!

Cya
Phil

I watched a documentary on discovery (or one of those channels) where a person went into a coma and even though the guy had little or no brain activity there is some evidence that suggested he had awareness. He did report having a NDE like many others but, he also remembered other things. He knew the names of the people who saved his life (doctors, nurses etc) and he even knew where the staff put his false teeth!

Anyway, it was an interesting report so I thought I would share it.

Interesting info Milod!

So it seems there are many individual cases about coma!

I actually believe that this is a common misconception about the visual cortex and dreams. PET scans show that the visual cortex is offline in dreaming/REM periods, and the imagery we experience is created from other visual associtation areas of the brain.

Not true El sortilego…there are indeed science reports that claim the visual cortex is not active during rem but even more that show the visual cortex is active during rem sleep!

see this link to name one.
click Here!

Or read this text witch is the same!

Add to Clipboard

View Clipboard
Activation of visual cortex in REM sleep measured by 24-channel NIRS imaging.
Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 2001 Jun;55(3):187-8 (ISSN: 1323-1316)
Igawa M; Atsumi Y; Takahashi K; Shiotsuka S; Hirasawa H; Yamamoto R; Maki A; Yamashita Y; Koizumi H
Tokyo Metropolitan Geriatric Hospital, Tokyo, Japan. mari-515@poppy.ocn.ne.jp.
To visualize dreaming brain functions we studied hemodynamic changes in the visual cortex during the transition from non-rapid eye movement (NREM) to rapid eye movement (REM) sleep, using a 24-channel Near-Infrared Spectroscopy (NIRS) imaging method. Results were compared to the activation in visual cortex by visual stimulation during wakefulness. Subjects were four healthy males between 25 and 49 years of age. Five all-night polysomnographic and NIRS recordings were made. Increases in the oxygenated hemoglobin concentration in visual cortex were observed from nine of 14 REM periods. The activated areas were broader during REM sleep than during visual stimulation. These findings suggest that activation of visual cortex in REM sleep might represent dream-related brain activity.

I found many docs about the topic and the majority claims visual cortex is active at rem sleep.

www.ucl.ac.uk/lapt/med/sleep.ppt this link tells that in rem sleep the visual cortex gets its signals from the brainstem and when a awake from our eyes.

HA ha… yes I am absolutley certain we could sit here all day qouting experiment after experiment about our arguements. But keeping in line with all the fun, have a read of this:

bbsonline.org/Preprints/OldA … solms.html

It suggests that the primary visual cortex does not play a significant role in our dream imagery, but rather other visio cortical areas are responsible. (also, the relating links on that page are worth a look for anybody intertested in the neuroanatomical function of the brain in dreaming states).

Your second link, I believe is referring to the activation synthesis hypothesis of dreaming …(or though I might be very wrong… too lazy to check it out!)

i would assume that the comatose state would be one of the ebst ways to hone your dream skills. if anything its one of the best thigns that can happen to you, if you understand how to utilize your time. seriously, i would love to be able to do that for a few weeks or a month. however, i dont know much abouts comas, but i know that in hollywood, and waht ive been led to believe that you dont remember much coming out of it. of course hollywood is effed up, and society has misdirected almost everything taht has come into contact with the media.

does anyone know if people have remebered dreams from the comatose state?

That is always dangerous. You know what they say about the word assume.

The bottom line is we just don’t know enough about the coma state to even speculate as to what is possible.