CX PPS Log ( April 6, 2020 → April 18, 2020 )

CX PPS Log

2020-04-06T05:00:00Z2020-04-18T05:00:00Z

Hello everyone! I’ve decided that what with the work-from-home schedule I’m currently operating on thanks to the pandemic that I will be starting up another go at PolyPhasic Sleep! Well… I actually started like 5 days ago so, I suppose without any more delays, I’ll get right into the details!

My intentions are to run a PPS sleep schedule until the requirement that I work from home is lifted. I currently don’t know when that will be, but it could be end of April or May (or longer, but please no…). Here’s the Schedule Details:

Method Everyman 2
Cycles Start Time End Time
Core Sleep 2300 0330
Nap 1 0800 0830
Nap 2 1430 1500

Addtionally, I performed some special adaptation measures: namely, I started only with the afternoon nap and sleeping a core of 8 hours. I slowly dropped the core down by half an hour, then and hour and a half twice to bring it to 4.5 hours.I reintroduced the morning nap on the day of the first 1.5 hour drop. (All of this will be detailed in the logs below.)

1 Like

2020-04-06T05:00:00Z

Cycles Start End
Core 0000 0700

Not much happened this date. I mostly planned out my PPS cycles while spending the day playing Animal Crossing. I’m including it here for reference. I was still having vivid dreams at the time, though I don’t think I wrote any of them down.

I also decided on doing a Naptation instead of Immersion… and noticed that my first cycle adjustment would have to be 30 minutes in order to sync my core up with a sleep cycle boundary.

(Also, I’m going to consider the start of core as occurring on the following day, even though if I had started core at the right time on this day it would have been 2300 on April 5.)

2020-04-07T05:00:00Z

Cycles Start End
Core 0000 0630
Nap 1 1430 1500

(Note, times in italics are approximate. I can’t remember exactly when I started or ended the cycle, but they were in the vicinity of the indicated time.)

This was the first day of actual sleep adjustment. I moved my core back ever so slightly and decided to start taking my afternoon nap. The nap was… interesting… and though I don’t think I fell completely asleep I definitely had an interesting phenomenon happen…

About 20 minutes from when I laid down I suddenly became super aware… but was still awake… maybe. I was probably on a dream boundary or something. There was something like a pop, but I didn’t notice or pay much attention to it at the time. I thought I had just woken up and was in a weird after dream state.

I carried on, mostly unaffected by any fatigue from the adjustment of my sleep cycles.

2020-04-08T05:00:00Z

Cycles Start End
Core 0000 0500
Nap 1 0815 0845
Nap 2 1444 1515

This was the first day of real PPS. I had gotten to bed late the previous night… so I almost had a regular Everyman 2 setup. I also had trouble taking my naps on time and ended up pushing them back a little and taking them “late.” Still, they were close enough to on time that I didn’t have any problems.

What was interesting were the naps. With the first one, I noticed the pop again. It seemed as if I were slowly drifting off, a bit uncomfortable and wanting to shift around a bit. I fought it and distracted myself with what I thought were focusing thoughts… only to suddenly “hear” the pop… which also sounded white (I don’t have synesthesia normally.)

I realized I was suddenly much more aware than I was before. In fact, it hadn’t felt like it but I was slowly losing awareness. I pondered this a bit and about ten minutes later the nap ended.

When I took my second nap, I was determined to recreate the effect. I gave it a shot… and about 20 minutes in it happened again. This time, I was thinking right before it happened… or what I perceived as right before, anyways. Also, all my uncomfortableness and wanting to shift around vanished immediately and I was unbelievably comfortable… like, just woke up and don’t want to get out of bed comfortable.

And, immediately after the “pop”, I started getting massive amounts of HI. I tried manipulating them a bit and almost succeeded. I recall seeing a DC appear for a fraction of a second as well as hearing a girl say three words that were kind of funny. I had to fight with my eyes, though, and my sleep mask let in light so I decided to prepare to call it quits and check how much time I had left (I reason it was about 10 minutes or so…)

Only… I couldn’t move. I was in SP… I controlled my breathing as I didn’t want to break out of it right away and remained calm. Eventually, I opened my eyes for like 5 seconds to see if I had crazy hallucinations, but it was too bright through the corner of my sleep mask. I then spent, like, five minutes playing with the sleep paralysis, trying to see how much effort it would take to move.

I noticed my hands sort of felt… floaty… like they had dematerialized. More accurately, they could no longer feel anything but themselves. It was surreal because they were on my midsection which was rising and falling as I breathed.

Anywho, I fought slowly harder and harder to try and move… and eventually I had to put a lot of force into it before it started to give way and I broke free. I think I may have interrupted things by accident with my breathing. It was bizarre… and I realy wish I knew how to break into an LD from sleep paralysis.

2020-04-09T05:00:00Z

Cycles Start End
Core 2300 0330
Nap 1 0800 0830
Nap 2 1430 1500

Today was the first real day of PPS. I did the cycles exactly as outined… and I had some lethargy. The morning hours between Core and Nap 1 were kinda hard… luckily games are distracting. :stuck_out_tongue: Things got better after I ate after Nap 1, though they were still a little iffy. Things got really better after Nap 2 for several hours before starting to get a little sleepy now. (It’s about 1930.)

I tried my hand at the SP thing again with the naps. It kinda happened again, though I didn’t probe the SP and instead focused on trying to drift off to sleep. During Nap 1, I passed out before I knew what happened and my alarm woke me up. During Nap 2 I had a pop, but it was much more muted than before and I think happened around 15-20 minutes into the nap.

The hypnogogic imagery was much more focused this time. As soon as I laid down for my naps I started getting some. I even had vague dreams during my Core that I could partially recall… but I didn’t try to save too much… so I’m going to try and focus on that tonight.

Overall, I think I’m doing okay… but it’s only my first real day of Everyman 2… We’ll see how I feel by April 12, my last day off due to the extended weekend I have for the holiday and my weird, 10 hours of work per day scheduling. If I can’t focus during that day I may need to give up on this so I can work on Monday… it will be a bit sad if I have to, though, as I’m curious to explore PPS more… and I want the ability to fall asleep instantly back… something I picked up the first time I took a foray into PPS.

Anyways, will post an update tomorrow after 1500 CDT!

2020-04-10T05:00:00Z

Cycles Start End
Core 2300 0330
Nap 1 0800 0830
Nap 2 1430 1500

So, the first notable thing is I was much, much more tired today when I woke up from my Core and even more so when I woke up from Nap 1. I did, however, have vivid, if panicky, dreams this morning during my core. I even had some minor dreams in Nap 2, though I couldn’t recall them.

As to the tiredness, it seemed easier to deal with after the core as I had something to do. (I played a bunch of Animal Crossing and Rayman Legends. :stuck_out_tongue: ) The tiredness was really bad after Nap 1. Almost couldn’t focus for an hour or two and the urge to sleep was immense. It eventually faded, though I was left with dull aches and pains for most of the day.

Interestingly, about an hour before all of my cycles I start to get really, really tired and a little hungry. Either my cycles are spread just right or my body is starting to realize when I’ve been sleeping.

Anyways, Nap 1 was the hardest, but around two hours after I could sort of focus again. It was a little tough getting up from Nap 2, but was a cakewalk by comparison. And, when I got up, I felt great. I’m still a little achey, but I don’t have much sluggishness or “haze” as I started calling it.

Anywho, I’ll be back with more "subjective’ udpates again, tomorrow, around the same time. :slight_smile:

2020-04-11T05:00:00Z

Cycles Start End
Core 2300 0330
Nap 1 0800 0830
Nap 2 1433 1500

Today was much better than yesterday. I woke up from all three of my sleep cycles easier than I did the previous day, and, overall, there was much less haze and feeling of “must sleep now.” In fact, Nap 2 was the hardest hitting with it taking me nearly half an hour to get my focus going.

Overall, though, I’ve been doing pretty good today. Not too sleepy. Still a bit achey, but that’s probably because adaptation is still ongoing. (Supposedly, it could take 30 - 90 days… I sincerely hope not. :stuck_out_tongue: ) I was most aware between 1000 and 1400. Had nearly zero signs of sleep deprivation during that time.

Most interestingly, however, is I had a lucid dream during Nap 1! That’s probably a good sign that I’m starting to get more REM during my naps… albeit I didn’t have / can’t recall any dreams for Nap 2.

Again, overall, today was good. If everything keeps up the way it is I might decide to keep going after Sunday. I’m pretty sure I can work like this and not be ineffective, which was my concern with this. I’ll decide for sure when I post tomorrow’s update at 1500.

2020-04-12T05:00:00Z

Cycles Start End
Core 2300 0330
Nap 1 0800 0830
Nap 2 1430 1500

So today was a bit of a mixed bag, but overall on the good side. A slight amount of haze in the morning and after the first nap, but it’s been gone most of the day and I’m pretty aware.

Another lucid in Nap 1. I think waking up from the core and staying up for 4.5 hours does some kind of REM delay so when I sleep at Nap 2 I get vivid dreams with high awareness… unfortunately, I haven’t been able to extend the lucid or do much… so hopefully that changes in the coming days.

Speaking of… I’ve decided I’m going to keep at this and give it a shot tomorrow. I have work in the morning, but I feel good enough that I think I can make it through the day. We shall see!

I’ll keep posting logs, but they might be shorter unless something significant happens. Until tomorrow!

2020-04-13T05:00:00Z

Cycles Start End
Core 2300 0330
Nap 1 0800 0830
Nap 2 1433 1500

Not much to report today. I’m surviving pretty well. Had a mostly focused day. Occasional sluggishness and whatnot. Getting out of bed is still hard sometimes, but once up for a bit it fades rapidly to almost non-existent.

My dream recall was diminished compared to the past few days. Still, lots of HI. Just seemingly no memorable dreams or lucids. We’ll see what happens tomorrow.

2020-04-14T05:00:00Z

Cycles Start End
Core 2300 0330
Nap 1 0800 0830
Nap 2 1433 1500

Today was much better than any day so far. My only haze was in the early morning hours. After that, the rest of the day was very normal (with the exception of around now as I feel the sleepy approaching for my core).

Of note was the WILD I had in Nap 1! It was quite interesting… and made me consider that all the “pops” and jolts of awareness are me waking up from the beginnings of dreams… Like… I’m trying to fall asleep, but I’m too aware or something.

Anyways, I’m going to keep at it… and things might get quieter here. Everything seems to be rolling well with no problems.

2020-04-15T05:00:00Z

Cycles Start End
Core 2300 0330
Nap 1 0800 0830
Nap 2 1430 1500

Today wasn’t as good as yesterday. I definitely had some sluggishness at points throughout the day. That being said, I woke up fairly easy, and it feels as if it’s getting easier to do so.

I also had more HI in Nap 1… and less memorable dreams in Core and Nap 2. I’m a bit worried I might only get Nap 1 for vivid “dreams” to record… but I’ll be okay with that if I figure out how to reliably turn the HI I get into lucid dreams. We’ll see what happens!

A note, I don’t intend to respond to this post, anymore, unless something significant happened. Suffice to say that any gaps in time should be interpreted as the status quo has been maintained. :stuck_out_tongue:

2020-04-17T05:00:00Z

Cycles Start End
Core 2300 0330
Nap 1 0802 0830
Nap 2 1430 1500

Today had a rebound of sleepy… little HI and whatnot in my naps… I suspect it’s because so much REM ended up in my Core sleep that my body was confused on what to do in Naps… Additionally, I had a lot of haze / inertia from the naps… and the day was quite a bit harder to deal with… especially after Nap 2.

Still, after being awake after all my cycles for a couple hours things got relatively stable and I didn’t feel so tired. Overally, though, today has been a sleepy day.

2020-04-18T05:00:00Z

So… I crashed this morning. Slept, like, 11 hours for my Core. I don’t know how I missed my alarm, but it wasn’t a fun feeling… I probably should have foreseen the crash coming… 2020-04-14T05:00:00Z was great! I felt absolutely wonderful most all days… and it’s been an almost steady decline since then as to how I felt.

As such, I’ve decided to put an end to this attempt as I’d essentially have to restart from the beginning. It was fun! I definitely had a blast manipulating HI and whatnot… I also learned quite a bit about some sleep things… Though I will miss the spare time I had playing games in the morning.

Anywho… see y’all around on the forum!