Dream Locations (previously, "Dream Stages")

Siw made a remark in the Dream Characters topic that made me think it would be nice to have a parallel thread on Dream Stages, Scenarios, Ambients and whatnot.

So! What are your recurring dream stages? :smile: School is a common one to me, and obviously my home, I think everyone has home, school and possibly work as common stages…

Also, a very common place to me in dreams is the farm in which I was raised, which doesn’t belong to my family anymore, and to which I haven’t gone for possibly 5 years now. It shows up more often than not, even so!

Bars are common dream places to me, I think one can guess why. :tongue: Gardens and theatres are somewhat common too.

By “stages”, do you actually mean settings and physical places, or stages as in steps in a procedure?

I mean settings, landscapes, dream worlds. :smile:

I see! I don’t know which ones are more common, actually. I haven’t thought about that.

/me has an idea for a new list.

I’ll be back with a summary once I find out which settings I dream of most. (This could take a while!)

Most of my dreams usually take place at home or in school. My latest LD appeared to take place in what looked like an apocalyptic wasteland. :ebil:

Okay, I now have a vague idea. I went through and broadly categorised the dream settings (though by no means are these categories to be taken as fixed, because there were very different types within each).

These were the most common (with 12 or more dreams):
House - 33 (mine - 15)(other -18 )
Houses of various kinds, not including mansions or other buildings.

City/town streets(outdoors) - 23
I just realised I do a lot more walking/riding/exploring up and down various streets than I had previously realised. This didn’t include more specific things like arcades, which I had another category for.

School - 20 (“alternative” - 8 )(normal - 12)
Even though nearly all of my typed dreams took place after I graduated, I’ve had all these school dreams! Not university - I put that in a different category and had much fewer dreams about it, evidently.

Indoors unspecified - 18
For buildings/indoor places I couldn’t easily classify. These were usually dreams where I moved around and explored a lot, and things kept changing, or for buildings with very obscure purposes.

Shops - 16
Shops, shopping malls, supermarkets, boutiques, stalls, etc.

Coastline/beach - 14
Some of these were beaches, some were rocky cliffs, some were just high places or walkways overlooking the ocean. A lot of variation here, again.

Complexes - 12
Massive indoor/outdoor areas that contained many different things like housing, shops, pubs, gardens, arcades and so on. Places where everything was contained in the one estate and not easy to define.

Passageways - 12
Corridors, hallways, secret passages etc. Overlapped with some of the other categories a lot.

Restaurant/cafe - 12
Places with food, including gentlemens’ clubs, cafes, juice bars, cafeterias, etc.

… there were plenty of other categories as well, but they’d go on forever, so these were just the main ones.