Hearing in other languages

Every tuesday I spend a couple of hours at a German Language school, and often that night I’ll dream about learning a word that isn’t real, or becoming completely fluent instantly. It’s a late-night class, so I guess it’s still heavily on my mind when I get to bed.

I once had a dream in which I was talking in a strange language that sounded out of this world (out of the real world, at least :content: ) . You know like Parseltongue (Harry Potter) with echo effect. I had no idea what i was saying, and when i woke up I only remembered what it sounded like but i didn’t recall what i said :sad: . It was a rather frightening experience but i definitely want to have one again :happy: .

im a swede, and i occasionally dream in english, i dont think it’s such a big deal :smile:
but offcourse i prefer english over swedish in many cases, so its no big thing to dream in other languages.

I had a friend who speaks English (first language), Spanish, and German fluently. He said that he felt most comfortable speaking those languages after he had a dream where people were speaking that language, almost as if some part of his brain was finally putting it all together. I’m trying to teach myself French and Dutch. I’m really having trouble with Dutch, despite all of the cognates. I have trouble pronouncing words that have that articulation where I feel like I’m clearing flem out of my throat. I also think I have trouble learning other languages because when I think I have a dialogue going in my mind that’s always english…

wait what were we talking about before? Oh yeah…

I speak spanish fluently (I come from Chile), I speak swedish fluently(lived in Sweden most of my life), I speak english fluently, and I speak above average french(not that fluently though). And when I dream I have no idea which language I speak, I just understand, I have never really listened to the words spoken to me in dreams. I always wake up wondering which language I hear in my dreams.

I would love that sort of experience you just described, where there is no set language, it just is.

Sounds pretty kickass. :thumbs:

Yeah it is :grin: though sometimes it isnt! Once a DC told me a nice poem, and it sounded so right in the dream, but when I woke up, I couldnt recreate it in any language :sad:

I’ve had dreams where I spoke better an dmore fluent french than I do now.

In my dreams my confidence and fluidity seemed to be very high, however I don’t remember if what I was saying actually made sense.

Sometimes I have dreams where I hear or read something in English, German or even Moldavian (never could say more than two words in Moldavian, though pretended to study it for five years). Recently I dreamt I was watching some TV program on BBC World. Sometimes I speak German in dreams. And I am always sure that everything is right, even when I am semi-lucid. It is just a feature of dreaming state that everything is taken for granted. If you are said that what you hear is a Moldavian poem, you believe, though it is in fact not a poem and not in Moldavian…
But I think I always notice when I hear foreign languages in dreams (unlike n0th1n, I mean), though IRL I often wonder if something I read some time ago was in Russian or in English.

English is not my native language. However I’ve had on several occasions dreams where the dream characters spoke to me in English. An what is even stranger, is that they understood me when I spoke in my own language. I remember once, I dreamt I was in a “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” episode (although I don’t like it much). And and the end of the dream, I reached a dead-end as I ran away from a huge beast, so I just pressed the escape button on my keyboard (without actually seeing the keyboard), and saw the menu of a video game. I was also quite angry to have lost. I should have noticed the strangeness of the whole situation and become lucid, but alas… :neutral:

i study eng.
now, it happens all the time that i think in eng, and i dream in eng. When i wake up, i often talk to myself in eng - im not a nativ speaker… but its cool to ve dreams in eng :wink:… sometimes i ve dreams in german too - coz im learning it, but my DC speak german, and i respond in eng… :wink: weird. but i understand everything

i am currently living in japan at the moment, and most of my dreams are in japanese. I can speak it pretty fluently. So i have english and japanese dreams. Sometimes if you hear a word that you dont understand in a dream, it is most likley that you have herd the word before but just havent fully registered it in your brain. I get that a lot.

By the way, bungo means “written language” as in a language that you write down on paper. In other words, your not speaking it…
:wink:

Yeah, I had some dreams with foreign languages.

Sometimes a person steps up out of a mass of english speaking DCs and speaks to me in my native language.

Once I heard DCs speak french.

other time I read german i think…

weird stuff