Hi...i have a question.

Hi there! I’m new…
I have a question…
When i’m sometimes dreaming…i do become aware that i am asleep and dreaming…i tell myself “right…i’m dreaming” but usually the dream in question is infact a nightmare…i become too panicked and afraid to be calm and take control of the situation…i’m frightened and feel a sense of ‘impending doom’…this results in me thinking ‘right…sod this…i’m getting out of here and waking myself up’…
its at this point…i dont quite know how to describe it…i ‘summon’ a great deal of energy within myself…and ‘jolt’ myself awake…
usually…this works…but occasionaly i dont summon enough energy to really wake myself up…i escape the nightmare…and think i’m awake led in bed…it’s a few seconds before i notice that my room is completely different for example…and i’m not actually awake…i’m still dreaming…and this results in several ‘false awakenings’…
i also suffer from sleep paralysis…which is a pain in the ass…

does anyone have any tips on how to take control of the situation when i realise i’m dreaming and become frightened? i’m pretty sure i am virtually lucid…but i just cant seem to remain calm and focus.

any help would be appreciated.

:welcome: Azazel, if you want, you can introduce yourself in The Big “Hi, I’m New Here!” Topic :smile:

It seems that you are kinda a natural lucid dreamer. I don’t really see a connection between realizing that you are dreaming and nightmares - maybe you a bit expect them to happen after you know that you are in dream ? :eh:

If you are getting too panicked - just calm down, and concrentrate of staying lucid. Remember to do so, when you will realize that you are dreaming next time. You can give a voice commands, such as “More lucidicy!” to get more lucid. Remember, that you are dreaming, so nightmare happens only in your head. This dream is your creation, so only you can control it.

You can fight the bad ones in nightmare, or just go away from there, by flying or teleporting yourself for example. You don’t have to run away, especially wake up.

That electric thing seems to be a visualization, that works. False Akwenings happens sometimes in normal dreams, but they happens most of the times in lucid dreams. For example, when dreamer is afraid of waking up, or wants to wake up (as you do). False akwenings are sometimes a result of low lucidicy. But your method of waking up works most of times, so I guess that in times when you are having a FA, you are or too low lucid, or you are sleeping too deeply.

SP is very annoying, especially after waking up. But unfortunately, I don’t know any good way to fight SP after waking up. Maybe .mp3’s or repeating a mantra before falling asleep would do something, but I am not fully sure. :hmmm:

thanks very much for taking the time to give me some advice=)
my mom is a lucid dreamer…as is my dad…so perhamps it runs in the family…lol

ooooh…a point i forgot to mention…most of my LD’s seem to involved deceased relatives who i’ve lost in life…primarily those that hurt the most when they died and i was closest to…i.e my grandad and my little sister…the thing is…in my LD’s…they don’t seem to have a ‘friendly’ pressence…there is something incredibly frightening about seeing them and i panic and force myself to wake up…
anything anyone can tell me about that?

well, i’m sure a lot of people might say you should confront them, which is also true, as this may stop recurring nightmares(solving the problem) and what you could do in the “lucid nightmares” is just tell yourself like for example “when i walk through this door i will wake up and i will not have an FA”

about the reason they don’t have a friendly presence, i think it’s mostly because it’s after all, still a nightmare, don’t try to “attack” them because this will make them more frightning but communicating with them will often make them less frightning(“quote” from stephen laberge:P)

hope this helps
…sirius)(black

PS: we’re all blue storms:P

^^thanks mate…yeah i guess the reason they’re so scary is cuz i love them so much and them appearing in such a horrible way is a deep-rooted fear which manifests in my dreams or something.

Well,i would say,if its a scary dream you can try making a barrier or “shield” of the sort.Tell the shield to keep everything except you xP out of the bubble.Then perhaps make a chair,and sit down to think about it not being scary because its a lucid dream and you can do anything you want, ex:Making all the bad stuff disappear or fighting away the bad stuff with your new powers. :fly: :wizard: :mirror: or maybe, :astral:

I agree with everyone else, but also try taking an almight approach to it. You are in your own dream, your own mind. Everything you see, feel, hear is of your own creation even if you are not aware of creating it.
The shield is a good idea. But I disagree with Siruis)(Black. If you’re confident attacking them works. The last scary creature I encountered in a LD got blasted away effortlessly.

Just remember you are in control! If you don’t like the dream, spin and as you spin will yourself into a happier, calmer dream.

It could also be that the deceased relatives you see in your dreams have a reason to be there. Maybe you feel that they left you, or that you still want to say something to them.
I would think that there is a good possibility that you should try to talk to them in that case. I admit that it can take a lot of courage to do that. In a nightmare, your fears are much stronger then IWL, and can be very hard to overcome, but if you do, you not only stop the nightmare, you also can learn something about yourself.
Note: this is just a possibility and it could be something else, like fear of death, or too many horror movies.
don

From my point of view best way to solve that problem is just talk. Ask them, why does they want to scare or you. As Don wrote, maybe just want to tell something to them. They are not reoccuring without reason. But they are just part of dream, so there is no way they may hurt you. Don’t be afraid of confrontating it.

Of course you do can fight against them, but I guess that some talk will be better. I have been fighting in my lucid dreams not once, but it was monsters or nightmare creatures. It’d be hard to hurt someone that you miss and love. And you propably don’t want to do it. Fighting could work at once, but it could not make it stop occuring.

So, if you will have lucid dream soon, talk to them, don’t run away, and don’t be afraid of it. This is only your dream. Don’t try to wake up, it’s not going to solve problem.

thanks for the feedback guys…
today when i went to sleep in the afternoon…i felt myself become lucid but not highly…i realised i was asleep and dreaming…instead of trying to wake myself up immediately…i relaxed and stayed calm…this led to an enormous buzzing noise in my ears…and the feeling of being pushed down…i was then able to open my eyes…which i’ve never been able to do before…and i saw a purple ball…which darted from side to side…this was enough for one day…so i woke myself up…
that’s normal isnt it?

Firstly, Congrats on your LD :happy:

Secondly, indeed, it’s a weird dream. But only a dream, at least for me non-paranormal-stuff-believer (exception for OoBE, if that is being called paranormal). Buzzing is typical for WILD, have you been trying it ? it could take role in dream, brain would restore buzzing, etc.

What do you mean by “opening eyes, which you have never been able to do before” ? Were you dreaming of opening eyes ? You waked up, and saw that ball ? Or something even diffrent ?

For me it’s just a odd dream, but that buzzing is still making my mind come back to throught that it could be a some weird non-dream experience. It happens in state of SP, and there is possibility to do cool stuff (enter LD, AP, maybe something more). That state of mind is very specyfic.