How can I get started?

I’m going to put a real effort into learning LD, so I thought I’d start with the dream recall, which by now is really poor. According to https://community.ld4all.com/t/tutorial-beginners-guide-to-lucid-dreaming/32036 the best way to LDs is really good recall, so I think I’ll put all energy on getting perfect recall before I continue. Does is sound like a good idea, or should I work with something else meanwhile?

I’ve tried these last days to remember something, but I haven’t been able to get anything at all. So I wonder how I can get that first recall, so I’ve got something to build on? Should I try to set the alarm? I think I’ve tried that before without success though.

Yeah, the main reason you want to build recall is that it becomes easier and easier to spot the dream. It also makes dreams quite a bit more vivid so when you do have an LD it is as clear as possible. Having perfect recall won’t make you lucid, that’s still up to you, but it will help a whole heck of a lot more than lying on your back every night trying to WILD.

If you can wake up a few hours before you actually have to and then go back to sleep you’ll have an easier time remembering the following dreams. I’m not necessarily saying do a full WBTB, just be awake and do an RC or some such. Alarms can work but they can also wake you up a little too much if you want to try a technique like WILD or DEILD. You naturally wake up after every dream and usually roll over and fall back asleep without thinking. If you can train yourself to not move during this time, it’s a great opportunity for DEILD.

I hope that helps, and best of luck :content:

Thanks for the answer. But WILD and DEILD isn’t something I should start to work with right now, is it?

Can I teach myself to wake up after a dream? I mean is it something that will come naturally after a while?

You may not want to start with WILD right away as it is a bit more of an advanced technique, but for some people it does come naturally. DEILD can be done by anyone. All it involves is not moving when you wake up as this will make you fall back asleep very quickly. I would suggest repeating “I’m dreaming” over and over while you do it, but if that keeps you awake you could try to just stay aware in your own way.

Again, you will normally wake up after most REM cycles, so the the real trick is just keeping yourself from moving. Picturing yourself waking up and not moving after a dream can help, do it as you fall asleep like a MILD mantra.

But I don’t really get the point by starting with LD techniques before I even can recall a dream.

Yes, work on your DR, but you can still try techniques at the same time. Again, I might avoid techs like WILD and VILD until your awareness/recall is up, but passive techs like MILD and DEILD will still be fine. In fact, MILD mantras can help with recall (“When I wake up in the morning, I will remember my dreams”)