How many of you write a dream diary? (new title)

How many of you Write Dream Diary?
and does any one of you remmember his Dream perfect without Writing A Dream Diary ?

i used to have a dream diary when i was little (i kept righting in it for 3 months) before my dad accidently throught it out and i gave up. Now i want to start again but i have trouble remembering dreams and usully when i remember them i’m not near my computer or anything else i can type/write on so i forget it when i need it.

Well, I don’t “write dream diary.” I speak dream diary. :wink:

I use a freeware program for my computer called “Scanner Recorder.” It was originally developed to record audio from a scanner. Basically, it is voice or sound activated. That means it only records when I start to talk … or snore. :grin:

After I wake, or when I have time, I listen to my diary and convert it to written form. I usually can remember details quite well this way. The tough part is trying to translate my sleepy and sometimes slurry speech. Though I get the benefit of quickly recording my memory of the dream and have more time trying to get back to sleep. Without fumbling in the dark, or scribbling with a pad and pen, or staring at a bright computer monitor, or even pressing a button. All I do is talk.

This method does have it’s benefits. It also alerts you to any “sleep talking” or noises that may have been incorporated into your dream … such as a phone ringing. It also saves a .log file of the exact time it records. The .log files have become very handy for me. I’m able to wake directly from a LD and record my memory. Later I can view the .log file and have the exact time of the LD. Or I can time how long I snore. :shy:

However, not everyone has a computer conveniently beside their sleeping quarters. Not everyone has a computer with a mic. Though I recommend this to anyone that could try it.

https://www.davee.com/scanrec/

Sorry if I get too technical. But I also have installed a MP3 codec which means I can record straight into .mp3. This gives me hundreds of hours to record onto my harddrive. An average night has a 15 minute recording with most of that being outside noise or snoring. I could easily fit years worth of dream diary material on a small 1 Gig harddrive.
If you’re interested in recording a speech dream diary with “ScanRec,” then I would also install the “Radium MP3 Codec” found at:
riphelp.com/downloads/radium_codec.html
This is the codec I use to record into .mp3

PS - I love reading through my old dream diarys. “Old” as in 2 or 3 years old. Kenshin, it’s a shame your Dad threw yours away. You would have enjoyed that in the years to come. It can be a marker of progress. :smile:

i’ve been writing my dream journal for about 5 months now. i remember something like five dreams every night right when i’ve woke up, but they like float away from my head, 'cos i have no time at mornings… school, yo know. :grin: . but i manage to write down usually three proper dreams. sometimes more, sometimes less. i have a good recall specially when i’ve drank mint tea at night… works for me…

and yeah, it’s so killing funny to read your older dreams! :cool_laugh: !

I just picked up lucidity again (for the third time, i keep giving up, having a spontaneous LD, and trying again) but this time i can’t find the old journal. I think it got lost during the move last summer from one house to the next, and now I’m starting a new one. They seem to work and are nice for when you’ve forgotten the dream with time, but I don’t like hand-writing. It takes too long and it hurts, so i normally like to type (being reaosnably fast), but i just don’t have time in the morning to boot up my computer, then boot it up again once it freezes, then type the thing out and save it in a log somewhere.

I use a dream diary. Ever since i have joined a dream team in a separate forum…i have had to start one. At first i thought it was pointless…but the more i wrote in it(whenever i Did recall dreams) the better my recall became. I do remember my dreams better if i write them in my DJ. Since i have to write something down, i force myself to recall my dream. Having a DJ really does have its benefits :wink:

If any of u ppl are interested in visiting the ‘separste’ forum i go to here is the adress: https://www.dreamofpeace.net/sealife/index.php Enjoy! :content:

I’ve been keeping a dream journal since October 2002. I remember an average of three dreams a night. I haven’t had a lucid dream yet, but I feel I’m getting closer. I think keeping a journal helps alot. :wink:

Thanks DreamAddict for the cool links. I just started a dream journal a few days ago and I can remember about one a day, but I have a lot of trouble remembering details once I’ve moved from the position I woke up in. Hopefully with the recording program I will be able to recall a lot more. :cool:

I only write down my dream if it is really important or something really crazy happens. Otherwise I can remember my dreams pretty damn good. If I think of one part of a dream they all start to come back to me. It’s crazy because sometimes dreams will come back to me that was years ago but then I’ll remember all these parts I forgot.

I only write down keywords, so I can remember the dream when I come back from school.If it was a nice one I write it down (in whole sentences :wink: ) at the sealife forum
I usually recall one dream per night, but sometimes (especially when I got no journal handy after awakening) I got problems to remember anything

Traumgänger

I try to write down every single detail I remember from a dream. Sometimes I’m writing up to an hour while lying in bed, so I can use this writing to do WBTB. I could still remember my dreams without the aid of a dream diary, but I think the use of a diary motivates me more to remember my dreams better. I use the diary mostly to reread my (lucid) dreams afterwards, so to recognize my dream signs or just to bring back those memories of great LDs :smile:

I’m just starting a dream journal again, I wasn’t using one for a couple months, and my dream recall was good for awhile, but now my Dream Recall has gotten really bad. So i’m going back to writing in my journal.

I started writing a DJ just this morning! I was doing one for a while, a few weeks ago, but then I went on vacation for three weeks and stopped. I decided to start again, since it seems important. I have naturally good recall; once my subconcious picks up on the fact that I want to recall dreams, which it does fairly quickly, it delivers. Even so, developed recall is almost always better then natural, so I still have a lot of work to do. I do have dreams in my head (a lot, in fact) from when I was younger that I never wrote down. Sometimes I just look through my mental dream archive and “watch” dreams that I had when I was 3. Its kind of amazing what you can remember sometimes.

I do, kind of. I type my dreams. I have a wordpad document where I archive all of my dreams. On average, I can remember at least one dream a night, or at least fragments.

I just started writing a dream journal June 28th and at first I was remembering at least 1-2 dreams and I was doing pretty good but now I can’t remember any at all. I think looking at LDing sites helped me remember my dreams because I stopped looking at LD sites and now I can’t remember any of my dreams.

Mercy Hershey :cheesy:

I don’t write in a DJ, never have probably never will. I remember my dreams fine without one. What I do is as soon as I wake up from a dream I go from the last place I was and just go back through the dream as far as I can, and then from there I just play it through in my head until where I woke up. This works fine for me, but its still a good idea to keep a DJ for lots of other reasons, like looking for dreamsigns and stuff, and also so you can look back on it ages after you’ve written it.

The first night I decided to keep a dream journal I found myself awake over an hour in the middle of the night writing it down. Too much hassle …I remember a lot of detail anyway … even on dreams years ago so just don’t bother.
However I do think the ones I put on the site are helpful in that I am thinking about them more than if I did not put some anywhere at all.

for about 5 months I wrote every night in a DJ, now that summer is here I find it hard to keep it going! When I’m camping with friends and sleeping in tents, and going on backpacking trips it’s hard to bring along a DJ and have time for it. I am trying to get back into it though!

I’d like a bit of advice for keeping a DJ. I’m already starting to see why I abandoned my last one (it wasn’t just because I wen’t on vacation, I could keep doing it there). I hate handwriting with a passion. I’m not good at it, it takes a long time, and mine is very hard to read. However, I’m a good typer, so I think I would have an easy time keeping a DJ on the computer.

Here’s the problem: I don’t have a comp in my room, and at my dad’s house I don’t even have a comp that I own. This creates all kinds of problems for LD; I can’t use it to play music or run software that is meant to be run while dreaming, and I can’t just get up and record my dreams. Normally, I can’t just get up and get on the comp. My mom doesn’t like it and my dad is usally using it, at least at the time of my waking. I wan’t to keep a DJ, though. Writing it just doesn’t work for me. I’m hoping to get a laptop sometime in the next 6 months, but until then, I’m not sure what to do. I hardly have any money, so I can’t get a Palm or anything. I’m actualy trying to save my money so I can contribute to the purchase of the laptop; I need at least a $100 to contribute enough so I can get the model I wan’t.

How can I keep a DJ?

EDIT: Fixing an underlining problem.

I keep a dream diary, because without it and the glass trick I have NO dream recall whatsoever. :sad: