Hows earth ?

I think alot of people are debating whether the species that inhabit the earth are in trouble or not. The earth itself is not in trouble unless we physically destroy it or if some outside force harms it (meteor, sucked into a black hole, fried by a red giant, sigh…aliens :alien: , ect.). If you want to talk organisms then I would say that we aren’t in any immediate danger, down the road though it is hard to say. Anyways scientists have determined that a mass extinction occurs on our planet naturally about once every 26-million years anyway (the last one was ~11 million years ago so according to scientists we still have another 15 million years to live it up before we’re history). :cool:

Anyone see that movie where the world freezes, and everybodies like “Oh crap, lets go to Mexico!”. I think thats whats gonna happen. That, or the dinosaur thing.

I also think that if aliens invaded, we’d probably wind up nuking ourselves to death because of their mind control PSI powers. :hide: lol. We’re all doomed captain! We dun’t have the poower!

-I believe the movie you are referring to is The Day After Tomorrow and I thought it was a high quality movie.

-I really don’t think humans are anywhere interesting enough to be contacted by any of the rare intelligent life in the universe. Besides why do we need them to come to earth and cause a bunch of wars when we manage that perfectly well without them? :wink:

:yes: I agree rad.

Aliens aint needed , just imagine ww2 with nuclear bombs , then see ww3 …

chances are if there is any alien life it’s possibly in something above our dimension, 5th dimensional beyond comprehension to us and i guess not visible.

We’ll always be limited till we overcome the problem of time, only then will galactic travel over huge distances that we regulate via it be possible to traverse.

That’s what makes me believe aliens if existing would have to be above our dimension and time.

the fact is that we are moving closer and closer to the sun, and in perhaps 1000 years the earth is to close to the sun for any living man to be on the earth… ive heard scientists speaking on television about trying to develope some way to live on mars when the earth gets to close to the sun…

Why worry if, in 50 years, we’ll be running out of petrol and drinkable water?

yeah who knows :tongue: but i think going out of drinkable water is imposible…or is it?

It isnt

Polluted water cant be drunk

Humans pollute

Pluss that were getting more and more people …

Here in FL they’ve constructed desalinization (probably misspelled) plants that allegedly convert salt water to drinkable water. Then again, I do believe it’s one of the few in the world today so it is yet to be determined whether or not the concept could supply enough drinkable water on a large scale…

Gasoline is destined to be replaced by hydrogen fuel cells, the byproduct of burning it is water vapor (supposedly clean enough to drink (though I wouldn’t drink anything that came out of my tailpipe)).

The exploding population throughout certain regions of the planet (mainly Asia/India), is where I would put my money if I had to choose what scenario would hurt mankind most. The colonization of Mars seems to be a good solution to the problem, sigh even though I will never live to see it… :sad: :cry:

Still, desalinization is expensive, whilst mineral water is free, that can become a nice reason for a huge economical crisis.

Yes, petrol as a fuel can be replaced. But what about plastic? What about the roads made of that black stuff to which I don’t know the English name ( :razz: ). What about every other use for petrol humankind has explored more and more?

The rich countries won’t help. There’s a forum in the UN’s health organization right now trying to discuss where they’ll get the money from, beause rich countries simply refuse to donete if it’s not going to stay in their coutry, and poor countries can’t donate much. (I’m using simple words and a very basic model to explain something far more complex in here, I hope you know the situation discussed in the UN is a bit more detailed and complicated than that…)

Whats minreal water ?

Anyways , here in norway we are blessed with enough water :razz:

But yes it IS a problem , it aint cheap to make drinking water

and in order to make food we need water (if we ahd enough water in sahara for ex. … )

For the first : hydrogen as to be gotten from somewhere , if you make it by splitting water in hydrogen and ogzygen like the idea is right now you need power ! And if you use oil to get that power…

You ahve gotten nowwhere !

Or you could use alkohol ,which needs farms , and then we are there again , we gotta eat too , you know.

As for plastic , it is other ways , but their hard , some plastic can be made by some bacteries

I understand what you mean

Every country want their own industri to make whats needed to do it.
¨
That makes them money trough tax , as easy as that !

You’re all very gloomy.

We could get all the energy we need from renewable sources. There is a lot of lies written in the papers about things like wind turbines. My dad used to build them at work, and I can tell you for a fact that where I live (Britain) we could easily get enough power though wind turbines. And Britain is very densely populated. A country like Canada would be even easier.

Unfortunately wind turbines are unpopular with people who normally don’t see power stations, and so object to having to see them. But bit by bit, we’re getting there.

Once we have electricity made from renewable sources, we can fix all sorts of things without damaging the enviroment. We can make hydrogen to power cars, we can recycle metal and other materials, we can do a lot.

There is also work being done on modifying bacteria so that they use up the carbon dioxide. So we may be able to turn the climate back into how it was supposed to be.

But there are huge problems in the world. A billion people don’t have clean water, 30 million Africans die of preventable diseases every year. And I’m afraid this is down to human greed, it could be sorted out if governments were determined enough.

But not if we just give up technology. We need the technology to help these people. But once we’ve helped them do we give up the technology?

In the Brazillian rainforest people have a choice of living nomadically in the forest, getting everything they need from it, or they can live near a town. Living in the rainforest sounds so much nicer, no school or work, just getting enough food to feed you’re family. Yet many of them are moving closer to towns, and working 8 hours a day, double the amount they would have to do if they lived in the forest. And why do they move, because of medecine. They want to be near a hospital. We don’t really have a choice to go back to a pre-industrial age, but it’s interesting to note that whatever views we have of an idyllically peaceful life we might have had (and believe me I’ve had them too), the people who do have a choice have been chosing our life.

Yeah ,we can get power that way , but :

We are getting too many !

Thats the main problem :sad:

And this might sound selfish , but

I dont wanna live in a big city , near a city is one thing , but IN A BIG CITY ? Not me

If there gets to be heavy car traffic outside my house i wouldnt be happy

Even if they went on hydrogen :neutral:

Yes you need electricity to produce hydrogen from water but that shouldn’t be a major obsticle because:

-Nuclear power (makes steam to turn turbines)
-The previously mentioned wind turbines (they’re massive and create a surprising amount of power, especially when clustered)
-Solar panels
-Coal (while it lasts) to make steam
-Dams (where applicable)

These don’t require petrolium and they’re an abundant energy source (sure you have to replace the radioactive cores once in a while but they do it safely).

Plastic is readily available since the majority of it is recycled repeatedly. And there are alternatives to the plastic process.

Dont even mention nuclear power

Youi ahve to take care of it TOO long

Petter - I know what you mean. I live in a town of about sixty thousand people, and I’d hate to live in a city. It depresses me that most of the land near where I live is either towns or farmland (which we can’t walk on). I’d love to live somewhere where you could just walk off into the wilds, you know, be nowhere near a town or village, but that’s an impossibility in England. If you go to a national park like Dartmoor you can get onto a moor maybe 5 miles from the nearest habitation, but thats about it.

About nuclear power, let me tell you an interesting story. There’s a nuclear power station somewhere in Britain (in Scotland I believe) where they dump all of the waste into a big hole in the ground, and have been doing so for a while. But they haven’t been keeping records of what they put in, and so they’ve got no idea whats in there. And now some of it’s reacting together.

Bear in mind that this waste has to stay secure for at least 100 000 years, and will probably be under a couple of miles worth of ice at the next ice age.

I know , Nuclear power is just a way to make the problem come later.

NO LANDS have up to date made final dumps for their waste …

Sweden are starting to amke project , making great places to store it , but it is expensive…

The price off storing should be counted in to the total price off nuclear energy …

And then I BET that other stuff will win.

If you want to find nature , go to norway !

From home I can walk STRAIGHT to a forest , and no one can stop me from being ion the nature , its called “allemansretten” which says that everyone has the right to walk in woods , and other not house occupied or farmed places. !

Hunting still is the owners right , but anyway

Here I can hunt birds for ree ! (I and my dad knows the farmers around :content: , lets see how you can hunt pidgeons in england :wink:

Two problems: there’s a huge waste you don’t know what to do with, and the danger that it loses control. Nuclear plants, when you’ve lost control of them, are technically the same as bombs.

Also, we will run out of radioactive material just like we’ll run out of petrol.

Low production, takes a lot of space to produce not much energy, and it’s noisy, scarying a lot of the places fauna away.

They’re a nice solution for a house at a time; there’s no way to use them on mass scale, but I agree with you, that can be one good choice.

“While it lasts”

Eh :eh: What are dams?

Not at all, it will degenerate after being recycled again some times. Alternatives? You mean rubber? It’s not the same.

Low production, takes a lot of space to produce not much energy, and it’s noisy, scarying a lot of the places fauna away.
[/quote]
As I said before, my Dad used to make wind turbines so I’ve heard all of the figures. In Britain we could produce enough power for everyone without being overrun by wind turbines. We have 60 million people in an area about the size of Norway. Most places could manage it.

As for them being noisy, I’ve stood directly under one, and they’re not very noisy. Just a low sweeping sound. Nothing would be scared away by them.

You’re making me very envious. I really wish Enlgand had some more open spaces.

I’ve heard that in Finland you can even walk on farm land, as long as you’re a certain distance from any habitation.

I’m afraid in England the laws are very highly in favour of landowners. They even own the rivers that go through their land, you can only canoe or row on something like 2 percent of our rivers.

:sigh: