Hypnagogic sounds? anyone?

I just had a WILD experience when I was going to take a nap without trying to trigger it. It scared the heck out of me.

I could hear the music from my computer playing really lightly in the background. I remember thinking about what I wanted to LD about if I had actually fallen asleep, and all of a sudden I could hear my little brother talking in my ear and repeating one phrase. There were also a bunch of other conversations going on in the background, if I remember correctly.

The voices got up to a deafening volume and then were suddenly replaced by a really loud buzzing noise, like static. My sight faded out to static as well. It freaked me out so badly that I quit in the middle of it. Guess I won’t be trying WILD again anytime soon!

That is pretty freaky! But just remember that its not real and no damage can be done, its a brilliant way to get into a LD.

Last night I heard the cutest sound ever while trying to wild ^^. It was a sweet voice saying “chup chup” a few times . Don’t ask me what my subconsciousness was up to :lol: .

Sometimes when I almost fall sleep I hear people’s voices indeed. :content:

I wish I heard people saying chup chup :smile:

I get people screaming and yelling warnings :sad:

That’s adorable! :happy: I wish I heard people saying “chup chup” during WILD. Static and screaming isn’t doing that great for my nerves.

Hmm yeah I’ve heard some hypnagogic sounds. Last time I tried WILD I heard people murmuring in the background.

What also tends to happen is that I hear sounds from the outer world, but that they have lost their placement. Most of the time, the sounds are centered in my head or centered with my body. That’s kind of freaky sometimes. When I heard a motorcycle, I knew it was outside but I heard the noise as if I was lying down on the road with the motorcycle about to hit me at full speed. It was kinda scary, it did seem like the motorcycle just drove right through me, since it seemed like the sound was fading out behind me, rather than left of me, where the sound originally came from.

Weird stuff.

I know what you’re saying but the songs stuff hasn’t got to me yet. The imagery yes I had it before. One way to get it automatically is closing your eyelids and pushing your thumbs on your closed eyelids.

When I try to WILD I usually just lean back against the wall of the well but when I try to fall asleep I just keep hearing “It puts the lotion on it’s skin.”

God that guy is creepy.

A few days ago listening to the classical muzik, I swear i thought i heard some woman singing to it. I was freaked out. Good news is that it was my first hypnagogic anything!

Yeah, those hallucionations can be really freaky sometimes. But sometimes cute too. Chup chup. :moogle:

I’m more prone to hearing myself.

The most striking hypnagogic sounds I’ve heard are crunching footsteps near my head (as if walking in snow or v. coarse gravel) and children laughing and playing. Once, while falling asleep at the computer, I heard my door open, then someone walking next to me and saying in my ear, “Wake up.”

I was rather startled, and I had to convince myself that it was just my imagination.

i occasionally hear hynagognic stuff. it starts off with a high sharp tone, then kinda splinters into two or three softer deeper ones. then from there it turns into a cascade of blips and bups and beeeowws. sometimes if i stay with it, a symphony of galactic and seemingly composed sound forms out of the void of my hearing. i’ve got some theories on what this is…

1. a being, like a SG that’s saying hello or an extraterrestrial that’s trying to learn to communicate something emotionally important to humans, hence moving music.

2. an internal or supernatural ability to compose music out of thin air, and i’m just playing with myself. :content:

3. i’m completely delusional and it’s not real at all. i just ponder this one to keep myself amused.

thanks for listening topic poster!

-eddy’s fizz ate a fish by an edifice

I also heard something hypnagogic once, it was a female voice more high pitched than mine so i’m sure it wasnt my mind or something that kept saying ‘blanket pole’ or ‘pole blanket’ and some other word i couldnt remember. weird. :tongue:

Last night when I was trying to WILD I heard voices singing this song, I can’t remember most of it now, the only line I can remember is “crunchy cereals, crunchy cereals” I was a bit freaked out at the time :razz:.
I usually just hear roaring sounds like the sound of an aeroplane.

one day i tried higher-closer technique for astral projection.
I was flying higher and higher in purple space and hearing the same psychedelic sample, 2-3 seconds repeating all the time :smile:
:wink:

I only experienced this once. I heard a noise that sounded like a chainsaw against metal, then it sort of morphed into this bubbling noise that sounded like a bathtub being filled. Needless to say I was scared half to death when I first heard it, but I still miraculously made a successful WILD.

I’ve heard voices twice before falling asleep, and the imagery’s very common too. I usually have HI when I’m meditating, too. It’s really vivid, far more vivid than my dream recall. I find it to be quite pleasant because the imagery is always about beautiful things, such as landscapes, and usually things I’ve seen recently. The most vivid HI I’ve experienced so far was in a trek through the mountains, and unsurprisingly it consisted of mountain scenery.
I can sometimes control the imagery in a kind of daydream, which is as close I’ve come to any real lucidity so far, but usually the concentration this requires only makes the imagery less vivid.