Language learning!

Here’s an update on the mysterious kanji cup. (a cUpdate :grin: )
There’s a headline before those 10 lines, and it looks something like this:

Can someone translate it?

The + looking one meanes the number 10.
The rest I whuld have to look-up.

On it’s own it would mean ten but in this context I think you have to read it in it’s kun-reading, so it goes something-something-“too”-something … I don’t recognise the other kanji though…

I’ve always wondered, how does one look up kanji characters?

You can look for it by the number of strokes. If you’re more experienced with Chinese (definately not even near my case :tongue:), you can look for it by root and phonetic/semantic particles. The fact is that kanji, far from being isolated drawings as people tend to believe, have a very logical system of creation in which “radical” drawings are appended with particles that change it’s meaning and it’s pronounce in a rather logical way. But yeah. Number and quality of strokes is the easy way of finding stuff out.

Hungarian - as far as I remember (or feel :wink:) has nothing in common with the Slavonic languages.

Slavonic languages are: Czech, Polish, Russian, Slovakian, Croatian, Bulgarian, Ukrainian, Belarussian (and many more…)

I do not know whether Polish (“Polnisch” is a German word) and Russian sound cool - some peeople find it quite strange and difficult. It’s normal, I do understand. :smile:
There is one thing that sometimes annoys me - many people who visit Poland think that Polish and Russian is exactly the same language, but they are mistaken. Some weeks ago one foreign tourist asked ma a question (in Russian) and was really shocked when I told him in English that I do not speak Russian and I hadn’t understood anything.

Polish is quite similar to Slovakian, but this similarity can be very dangerous. For example: “Jaki piękny zachód” means in Polish “What a beautiful sunset” and it could be a nice beginning of a conversation between two lovers. But in Slovakian it means moreless like “What a beautiful WC”. So… :smile:There are many more examples.

What about Czech language? Well, it is very similar to Slovakian (as the history proved it some years ago…), but I think Czech language has somthing in common with German - indirectly.

Sorry, I know that my post is boring and long… :sad:

Nah, it was quite interesting :smile:
I just came back from my eastern europe trip. And yeah, I learned some words and noticed both similiarities and differences between czech and croatian. For exmaple “dobry den” (good day ->hello) seems to be quite widespread, while “thank your” was “dekuji” in czech and “vala” in croatian.
Also, the pronounciation often reminds me of a southern-german dialect like bavarian or my own “schwäbisch” (svabian?). Sometimes even to the point that I find it hard to pronounce it that way, cause it sounds so “schwäbisch” and therefore completely wrong…
For example the word “post” (or posta) got such a soft “s” in it.

The example you gave how the polish and slovakian can differ is great :happy:
And yes, I really like polish. Especially when old people speak it, don´t really know why. Although girls speaking polish is also nice :wink:

greets tapir

I almost dislike to see random polish frases .

Sorry guys hehe

Its from the game tibia , there are a lot off polish guys there and many of them arent too , nice

But being able to talk some polish would be great : )

Does anyone know the address of an online Romaji to English translator?

I am from Poland, so I can tell, that Hungarian has nothing in common with Slavonic languages :razz: Hungarian belongs to the same group as Finnish and Estonian, I don’t know how is this group called in English. AFAIK Swedish is a Germanic (is this the correct name? I don’t know the English terminology…) language, so it also doesn’t have much in common with Hungarian…

Just a correction. “Thank you” in croatian is “hvala”. "Good day is “dobar dan”.
To me, croatian and czech are totally different. Sure, they’re both slavic languages and there are some similiarities but not enough for a croatian person to understand a czech person, or the other way around.
Oh, and yeah… hungarian has absolutely nothing in common with slavic languages :truit:

Here’s one :content: … it’s not too great though …

When I was in Croatia, I could sometimes understand few words, but usually the similarities between Polish and Croatian are not enough to understand each other for Polish and Croatian people.

Sometimes it’s easier to understand somebody speaking different language than somebody speaking our own… :wink:

Fizyk, don’t tell me about Croatian - when I can hardly understand Polish teenagers. :razz:

I’m learning Spanish at the moment :tongue:

So far I can say … ¿Cómo te llamas? And some other stuff :smile:

I want to learn Japanese, but it sounds too hard :shrug:
A small ‘Hi’ is ‘Conichiwa’ (Pretty sure I misspelt it), so won’t even think about the rest :content:

Japanese isn’t too hard to learn I guess… well the polite version anyways lol … (thats almost correct too Lucid_Viking except its a K not a C :wink: )

Writing sistem apart, Japanese is easier than most languages grammar-wise. No genders, numbers, persons. The only twist it has is that almost everything can have up to 4 degrees of formality. Hell, there are formal forms of verbs too. Now that’s something different.
Btw, konnichiwa is “good afternoon”, hi is “doumo”.

Erm, “doumo” is more like thankyou, not hi. I don’t think there is really a Japanese word for hi, actually! If there is, it’s probably taken from English.

You know not what you say! :tongue: We had to learn keigo (polite language) last year at university and it’s TOTALLY EVIL. It does clarify a few expressions, though. But keigo is divided up into two types itself - respect and humble language - which basically indicate the same thing, but you can’t mix them in a sentence except under certain conditions. And you have to know exactly which person you’re referring to at all times, which is extremely difficult sometimes, since Japanese doesn’t use pronouns… argh. What’s more, young Japanese people don’t even know how to speak keigo! Seriously! It’s something they’re taught in the workplace when formality is required.

Much better to stick with masu/desu, in my opinion. Fortunately, as a foreigner you can get away with that and nobody will expect you to know keigo. Whew!

[color=darkblue]I want to learn a new language but we have trouble in this country. We are not taught from an early enough age like other countries, so it’s harder to pick up. I hate being so ignorant.

One day I’d love to learn spanish, french or something a little different like german or russian. [/color]

I know, but I’ve seen many “hi” 's in subtitles when people greeted each other with doumo. Seemed a little weird to me too. :neutral:

[color=#cc3333]Continues on Part II :bruno:[/color]