Language learning!

Writing sistem apart, Japanese is easier than most languages grammar-wise. No genders, numbers, persons. The only twist it has is that almost everything can have up to 4 degrees of formality. Hell, there are formal forms of verbs too. Now that’s something different.
Btw, konnichiwa is “good afternoon”, hi is “doumo”.

Erm, “doumo” is more like thankyou, not hi. I don’t think there is really a Japanese word for hi, actually! If there is, it’s probably taken from English.

You know not what you say! :tongue: We had to learn keigo (polite language) last year at university and it’s TOTALLY EVIL. It does clarify a few expressions, though. But keigo is divided up into two types itself - respect and humble language - which basically indicate the same thing, but you can’t mix them in a sentence except under certain conditions. And you have to know exactly which person you’re referring to at all times, which is extremely difficult sometimes, since Japanese doesn’t use pronouns… argh. What’s more, young Japanese people don’t even know how to speak keigo! Seriously! It’s something they’re taught in the workplace when formality is required.

Much better to stick with masu/desu, in my opinion. Fortunately, as a foreigner you can get away with that and nobody will expect you to know keigo. Whew!

[color=darkblue]I want to learn a new language but we have trouble in this country. We are not taught from an early enough age like other countries, so it’s harder to pick up. I hate being so ignorant.

One day I’d love to learn spanish, french or something a little different like german or russian. [/color]

I know, but I’ve seen many “hi” 's in subtitles when people greeted each other with doumo. Seemed a little weird to me too. :neutral:

[color=#cc3333]Continues on Part II :bruno:[/color]