LDing should be taught in college.

moved from Lucidity Centrestage :moogle:

I think that if people everywhere were more familiar with their dreams, the world would be a very different place (for better or worse, not for me to say). I would love to have this as a prerequisite art course as an alternative to the standard, boring “Intro to Art and Music” or “Classical Art Forms” courses. Just a thought.

I sort of think if fits in better in psychology, even if art students may be more interested. There should be a course anyway, available for everyone. I doubt it would change the world, but, one can dream.

How do you pass the course?

Sure they could wire you up and monitor your dreams, but some people can’t LD at will. So how would you pass?

There are a few colleges that offer courses about dreaming, but I don’t think they’d be worth much credit.

I’ve heard of psychology courses mentioning LDing briefly.

Kind of related, at my college I’ve heard a lot of my professors mention LDing (off lecture or off topic).

In our IB Psychology class, LDing is briefly mentioned, but only within a huge dream unit. (I guess you could be graded on vocab quizzes or something lame). I don’t actually take the class, so I get really frustrated trying to explain how awesome LDing is. Also, for the class, they have to keep a dream journal, but they’re not actually using it for anything besides bland interpretation. Bleck.

They could test you on the material. What you read about techniques, common problems, etc. They wouldn’t have to test you on your actual skill, just your knowledge.

-Hatter

I think it would be more useful for children in junior schools (ie under the age of 11 years) to be told lucid dreams exist … may be during a reading class. There could be a few good children’s fiction books that feature LDs.

Only problem here may be their parents, that will not like the idea or LD-ing, or will just tell them not to listen to everything they hear at school.

What is more important, is a group of volunteers that will come lecture to people in schools and colleges about “Getting rid Of nightmares - The fun way”, that is, to teach them how to get rid of their nightmares through Lucid Dreaming, teaching them about those dreams and what is possible to do with them.

The only real purpose of the educational system is to teach what you would need in your later work.
And I think that there is a rather small amount of jobs that you need to LD for. :tongue:

except elementary school, where they teach basic life skills, which LDing could possibly be… might not be on the same topic, but its a lot like teaching religion in school… thats got nothing to do with you job, or life skills. its an emotional and personal thing, just the same (to me) as dreaming.
i agree with moogle that if it were to be somehow taught in any schooling system it could be sneaked into elementary school somewhere.
its like learning a language, you learn it best when you are young.

you shouldn’t have to pass it(to come back at mohegan) it should just be a class you always pass(like, gym, we always get between a 5.5 and a 7.5, depending on how well you pay attention, i’m always a 5.5-6.0 XD)

also,

i couldn’t agree less, people SHOULD be better educated about dreams and lucidity and what better place to do this than in the youngest generation alive

To be honest, LDing is purely a personal thing and introducing it to schools would just cause problems, besides nobody NEEDS to be taught it, and there are much more important things to learn at school. It should stay the same as it is, some random art that you can find on the internet

I’m not saying to teach it but a lot of people don’t even know it exists and because of this … if they do realise they are dreaming either panic or don’t know about all the lucid powers possible.

Just my thoughts on this… Colleges mainly teach academic stuff, and while LDing could help supplement academic pursuits, it isn’t truly an academic pursuit in itself. However, it could and probably should be taught within a psychology course or something. Having a course on Lucid Dreaming seperate to a Psychology course would be like putting a seperate course for, say, Television, seperate to Media Studies.

That’s just my view, though.

I do think so too that psychology should have a coarse on lucid dreaming or just a brief one. Colleges should have a Sleep Facility to study more about them so it can be more widely known. I am going to take Psychology in like my junior or senior year in high school and I’ll try and remember to mention it to the teacher.

I can see that happening-some kids gets nightmares, but through the help of DR, MILD, LD4all and WILD, s/he overcomes his/her fear by LDing!!! :woo:

When I’m in highschool :lol: I wanna take it too, the teachers in my town are sometimes awesome but sometimes stupid and dont take any opinions but any psycology teacher must be kinda cool :cool:

Acctually the way I was introduced to LDing was through nightmares. after a bad night’s sleep I searched google for ways to avoid them (figured if there is food that supposedly causes bad dreams I could avoid that) in stead I found a dreaming website and the Lucid Dreaming page caught my eye. Acctually had my first LD as a nightmare that I took control of.

Anyway, I would love to see LDing taught in elementary schools. It would be nice at any grade level but elementary would, in my opionion, have the greatest effect on the students.

Rofl, I don’t know if anyone has said this yet but… I doubt LD would be a well paid career. xD So I am assuming that you are meaning for pleasure?

Also, some people do dream research as a career. Research into lucid dreaming could be quite highly paid, actually. Especially if you produce books on the subject.